Weight loss

Options
So back in may I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol and two weeks later I had a widow maker heart attack. I’m 41 5’9 226 at the time. Currently I am 182. I do a caloric deficit, high protein low fat diet with moderate carb intake. I noticed that I’ve gained a couple of pounds but nothing had changed diet wise and it’s slow to come off. Any ideas or tips?

Replies

• herringboxes
    herringboxes Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    How long has it been?

Anything changed - like adding new exercise, travel, recent viral illness…?

Sorry to hear of your health issues but fantastic work on addressing it. So many do not. Keep it up!
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh and measure all your food, measure all your drink, and do you make sure that each database into you use is accurate by checking against the package or the FDA listing? I asked because many of the database entries here are inaccurate, some are highly inaccurate.

Also are you eating back your exercise calories?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,643 Member
    Options
    40lbs in 2 months or so? You've gone from obese to lowish level overweight in a couple of months. That represents a pretty drastic caloric restriction. I am not shocked that you may have started seeing stalls and slow downs to your weight loss at this point.

Have you talked at all with any of the health practitioners who are helping you out? Any help from a cardiac rehab program? Registered dietician? Longer term a weight trend program may prove useful to you. Starting to think about longer term ways of eating may also be appropriate. Awesome job addressing things decisively.
  • jessebishop9677
    jessebishop9677 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all the feedback. I eat 1700 calories or lower each date and I log everything I eat and/or drink. I do about 150-175 grams of protein a day on a low fat/clean diet. I’m almost done with cardiac rehab but I start training for a 5k right after I assume I’ll start losing weight again during that period
  • jessebishop9677
    Options
    Do you weigh and measure all your food, measure all your drink, and do you make sure that each database into you use is accurate by checking against the package or the FDA listing? I asked because many of the database entries here are inaccurate, some are highly inaccurate.

Also are you eating back your exercise calories?

No I don’t eat my exercise calories back I heard you’re not supposed to do that
  • jessebishop9677
    Options
    How long has it been?

Sorry to hear of your health issues but fantastic work on addressing it. So many do not. Keep it up!

It started on Sunday when I hit my lowest then on Monday I was 2 lbs heavier and another 2 lbs on Tuesday and I’m finally back to mondays weight
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,613 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    How long has it been?

It started on Sunday when I hit my lowest then on Monday I was 2 lbs heavier and another 2 lbs on Tuesday and I’m finally back to mondays weight

Could easily be water weight. Don't try to lose over .5-1 pounds pounds per week at this point. You're at a pretty healthy weight now, so keep monitoring it, but don't sweat it if you go through some weeks where you don't lose anymore.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Well, you heard wrong.

Not only is that not how MFP works, it's not how our bodies work. Consider e.g. someone exercises a lot and they are maintaining their weight at 3,000 calories. Then they suddenly stop all exercise, but they keep eating 3,000. They'll probably gain 1-2 pounds per month.

With MFP, the estimate for your daily calories doesn't include workout calories precisely so you can add those in, eat them, and therefore be at the same deficit as if you hadn't worked out. The important thing is to not over-estimate those workout calories, which is easy to do.

Btw, congrats on the tremendous weight loss and positive change in lifestyle. A couple of pounds in a couple of days is just noise and water weight. Nice to see you've been keeping protein high. Have you been doing or thinking about starting lifting?
  • jessebishop9677
    Options
    Well, you heard wrong.

Not only is that not how MFP works, it's not how our bodies work. Consider e.g. someone exercises a lot and they are maintaining their weight at 3,000 calories. Then they suddenly stop all exercise, but they keep eating 3,000. They'll probably gain 1-2 pounds per month.

With MFP, the estimate for your daily calories doesn't include workout calories precisely so you can add those in, eat them, and therefore be at the same deficit as if you hadn't worked out. The important thing is to not over-estimate those workout calories, which is easy to do.

Btw, congrats on the tremendous weight loss and positive change in lifestyle. A couple of pounds in a couple of days is just noise and water weight. Nice to see you've been keeping protein high. Have you been doing or thinking about starting lifting?

I really wanna start lifting but I have a shoulder injury which I am working through. As soon as that clears I’m pumping lol
  • herringboxes
    herringboxes Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    A lot of people here at MFP eat back only half their exercise calories, or some other partial portion. The reason is that exercise calories are frequently overestimated by a lot of devices. But you definitely need to ensure you are fueling yourself adequarely.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,643 Member
    Options
    Weight management has an emotional component and I've seen too many people discouraged because of incorrect expectations.

Even though, objectively, they were doing an awesome job.

Objectively you have lost a lot of weight fast.

It is relatively normal to start seeing more water weight variations as you get lighter and it is also relatively normal for your daily burn to be somewhat affected by your deficit. And you're now lighter. Even as your do more you're moving less of you around which is great!

So your deficits are getting smaller and there's nothing particularly wrong with that

Smaller deficits mean that normal water weight variations become comparatively large relatively to changes in your overall weight level which have now become smaller.

Long term you will not be able to see the continuous drop of the scale that you used to be able to see when you were starting out.

Hence the suggestion to start using a weight trend app and to start looking at multi-day trends as opposed to day-to-day scale results for feedback on how you're progressing.

Remember that you're both trying to improve your current situation and health but you also want to start building a foundation of things that you can keep doing for multiple years in the future so that you can continue to manage your weight.

Striking a long-term balance between what and how we eat and how we move around is something to start thinking about while still in weight loss mode.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    How long has it been?

Well, you would've needed to eat 7,000 calories MORE than your goal to gain 2 lbs of fat, and I'll assume you did not do that, so I'm guessing it was just water weight or something for a few days. Could be a funky scale, too. Make sure you weigh in the same spot on a hard surface every time. I take the batteries out to reset mine each time I weigh because they have a memory function that can distort your true weight reading.

Lastly, the body is an organism with a mind of its own. Sometimes you will do everything right, eat well below goal, and still gain weight on the scale. It's not a machine where if you input X you get result Y every time. It's frustrating but just stick with it.

Congrats on the great lifestyle changes and results! You should be very proud of your accomplishments!