How did you start?

Options
2»

Replies

• MurphmomSparkles
    MurphmomSparkles Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I am only a couple of weeks in so take it with a grain of salt, LOL. I was recommended by a healthcare professional I am seeing to increase my protein and water to start with. I don't know that there is a magic number for those, but I think it is helping to focus on what I am trying to do instead of what I am trying NOT to do. I chose the slowest weight loss on MFP of 0.5 lb per week and 30% protein. It is very challenging for me to try to get the protein, and I know I can't absorb it all in one sitting, so I am eating (or having a protein drink) about 5-6 times a day. That helps me feel less panicky that I will get too hungry and overeat.

I quickly learned I can't have that much carbs or it throws the percentage off, but I am not focusing on that. I am having a lot less mood swings and cravings, and not feeling deprived so far. I am also being kind to myself if I don't make the goal because this going to take me a while. However, I would like to make as many small steps forward as possible since it is going to take time. For those used to snacking a lot on sweets it might be a helpful way to start.
  • MurphmomSparkles
    MurphmomSparkles Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I tell myself, 'I would like to have those cookies, but I need to get my protein up so I'll have string cheese for now," or "I would like to have diet soda but I need to get my water up so I'll have that for now."

Trying to build the muscle memory to make those different choices.
  • Kelly040404
    Kelly040404 Posts: 21 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    I tell myself, 'I would like to have those cookies, but I need to get my protein up so I'll have string cheese for now," or "I would like to have diet soda but I need to get my water up so I'll have that for now."

Trying to build the muscle memory to make those different choices.

You know the trick I have before was tell myself I’m going to drink a gallon of water a day. If I want a Diet Coke, I can’t have it until after I finish my gallon of water. Most days it would be late at night by the time I’d hit that water goal that I no longer wanted that Diet Coke. Good way to get my water in!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    When I started, I found that focusing on protein and fiber helped keep me satiated so that at least I wasn't hungry, even if I still occasionally craved things I didn't have room for that day in my calorie budget (I dealt with that most of the time by promising myself to make room another day -- but sometimes I just ate the thing and accepted that it would eat into my deficit for the week).

As for exercising, when I started I just tried to build more movement into my daily life (getting off the subway a stop or two early, or walking to a farther one before boarding, and turning on music and dancing around the living room in the evening for 15 minutes when I would have been watching television).

You don't say how old your kids are, but if they're young enough that you need to spend a lot of time watching them, maybe you could turn some of their play time into "play with Mom" time, so that you're getting physical activity too.
  • Rockymountainflyer
    Rockymountainflyer Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    When I started, I logged calories, analyzed what foods filled me up and came as close as possible to my allotted calories but allowed myself indulgences. I walked every day, even just around the house or yard or walmart. I also bought 39 cent spiral notebooks during the school sales and had one for each month. The first page I put things like "love yourself, not food! Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels! You can DO it!" Etc. Then every day I'd put my to do list and a few thoughts. It helped. I lost 25 pounds the first year and 13 this year. This year I am paying more attention to fiber, protein, nutrients. It is a lifestyle, not a diet. You can DO this lol!
  • Dean_IsStayinLean
    Dean_IsStayinLean Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Substract pop tarts - add yogurt. :)

We're really glad you're here. It just takes a few changes and a few new habits to get the needle moving in the right direction. After that, the "little wins" are pretty motivating and will tell you that YOU CAN DO THIS.

• Kelly040404
    Options
    When I started, I logged calories, analyzed what foods filled me up and came as close as possible to my allotted calories but allowed myself indulgences. I walked every day, even just around the house or yard or walmart. I also bought 39 cent spiral notebooks during the school sales and had one for each month. The first page I put things like "love yourself, not food! Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels! You can DO it!" Etc. Then every day I'd put my to do list and a few thoughts. It helped. I lost 25 pounds the first year and 13 this year. This year I am paying more attention to fiber, protein, nutrients. It is a lifestyle, not a diet. You can DO this lol!

Thank you!!! I also buy notebooks to jot down recipes, or my measurements and weight and the date, etc. I’m a visual person and doing that helps! 🙂
  • Kelly040404
    Options
    _Deano_ wrote: »
    Substract pop tarts - add yogurt. :)

We're really glad you're here. It just takes a few changes and a few new habits to get the needle moving in the right direction. After that, the "little wins" are pretty motivating and will tell you that YOU CAN DO THIS.

Haha thank you! Baby steps in the right direction! 😊
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,984 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    For me, it was a family friend that's also a Doctor that runs his own lifestyle clinic and deals mostly with people with metabolic symptom, obesity, diabetes that kind of thing, and got on my case because my weight was in his words "getting out of hand" I was 245 at the time and now I'm 185. I've always been active, play hockey about 10 months of the year, still do and workout and have for donkeys years but my A1C apparently had been creeping up and when I got to him it was 5.6 which is within the normal range but 5.7 is insulin resistant, so, so much for a number. I also had a few health issues mostly joint pain, stomach which many would describe as IBS type, and some skin annoyances like dry skin, rashes that kind of thing.

Did the usual blood work but I was also given an oral glucose tolerance test OGTT and that pretty much told the story. I've been brought up in an era and a time where whole foods cooked at home was the norm and rarely had any "junk food" but I've always had a sweet tooth and when I finally set up shop away from my parents the years of desserts and junky sweet foods finally caught up to me.

He assigned a low carb diet and after about 3 months I adjusted very well, and that's been my lifestyle change that significantly changed my overall health. Understanding my carbohydrate tolerance was key from the OGTT and over time my insulin sensitive increased quite a bit and was able to tolerate more carbs and would fuel workouts with extra carbs and basically don't have a problem when social or other times arise where consuming a boatload of carbs on a particular day effected me. The one rule that I never sway away from is if I get out of line I never follow it up with the next day of the same behavior. We're all going consume foods that we feel we shouldn't, but as long as you identify that, and not continue, and get back on the plan the next day I consider that normal. Also being low carb I promote and recommend a whole food diet, because that's basically what it is, but that can be interpreted as only whole foods and it's not just whole food, as I've described so it's important to recognize dogma in whatever strategy you decide to employ, intermittent fasting is another one that people feel is useless but of course it isn't for the people that are successful doing it and there will always be plenty of people tells other people they're doing it wrong, funny how that works.

It doesn't have to be low carb obviously, that just my story and can be any lifestyle change that works for you. I believe if a person feels satiated and doesn't require extreme measures to facilitate hemostasis then you might be on to something. It's finding it that's problematic and people don't like much change in the foods they've grown to love to eat, mind you I still eat desserts, just not very much and not 2 days in a row. Cheers
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    i started by only changing 1 thing - i replaced many foods with the lower-calorie versions. for example, instead of giving up ice cream, i moved to light ice cream; regular yogurt to dannon light & fit at 80 calories per cup (cherry is my fave followed by vanilla), fat free milk (some taste much better than others!), found a variety of lighter foods by experimenting, and i lost 60 pounds over a year or so.

then i started doing short but continual walks - no stopping in the middle to chat or waiting for a dog to pee). 10 minutes 3x a day. when i was able comfortably, i either upped my 10 minute walks to 5 per day or walked 15 minutes 3x a day.

from there, i found MFP and started calorie counting. i started by logging for a week to get an idea of how many calories i was eating.
  • Kelly040404
    Options
    This is such a useful and inspiring thread! I’ve only been back on MFP for a month, but I finally feel like I’m actually doing it. The biggest things for me:

- logging food religiously and paying close attention to portion size (still shocked to realize how high-cal a normal piece of cheese is)
    - thinking ahead about a snack I might want later so I can eat less of something else earlier (I have a weakness for cashews, for example, and am now counting them out instead of mindlessly digging big handfuls out of the container - and discovering I don’t need a whole 1/3 cup at 300 calories to feel satisfied)
    - not getting the “buy two or three at a discount” items but instead just having one of whatever high-cal thing I love in the house (cashew example, or Baker’s 70% chocolate, which isn’t even that high-cal if you have a half square and savour it)
    - finding lower-cal alternatives or just using a lot less of something. My mindless norm when frying a single egg used to be to throw at least a tablespoon in the pan, but really a third of that is fine. Same with mayo; now if I’m making tuna salad, I measure and use much less - and was happy to discover years ago that half-fat Hellman’s tastes exactly like regular.
    - getting on my stationary bike or doing physio exercises if I’ve met my calorie goal for the day but want to nosh later

A lot of this is easier when cooking at home, but others here have great advice about restaurant meals.

I also just got a new scale and discovered how off my old one was (and not in.a good way). Now I have an even more accurate picture of what’s going on and feel like I have more control over the process.

I have only lost a little bit so far, but even that is still motivating - and it’s so much easier to exercise with even just a few pounds off.

-

You are so right! I never realized how much I was eating before actually measuring/weighing. Before, I would just scoop a big pile of rice on my plate with my meal. The other night I actually measured a cup - BIG eye opener! I was probably eating 3 cups at a time before! I have to get used to that feeling of not being "stuffed" when I eat. It's hard at first, because your mind is telling you "eat more - you're hungry!", but only because you're just so used to overeating. I would mindlessly ALWAYS have seconds, sometimes thirds at dinner. Eating out of boredom. Eating just because. I weighed myself this morning and I was upset at first that I haven't lost anything since Monday (today is Thursday, lol, I know - think realistically Kelly, lol) but then I reminded myself that at least I'm not GAINING! Before I started logging daily here, I was just gaining and gaining and gaining every week! So, I'm going in the right direction at least. I also fried eggs in a ton of butter! Now I'll just use PAM. Little things like that will add up over time.
  • bobsgirlz
    bobsgirlz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    When I started this time (the day after last Thanksgiving), the oves earning calories with steps. It's very motivating.

The other thing that really helped me was to curate a collection of about 10 low-calorie meals I know I like and will eat. I now have a regular grocery list.

care to share the meals you have curated ? this is an issue for me and I would love to know how this came about for you. Im not much of a cook but i will try if needed ! thanks !

Steph