Can I get ready for a half marathon in 9 weeks?

Options
My friend just asked me to run the Amica Seattle Half Marathon with him on November 27. I'm exactly 3 weeks behind in training IF I were able to run 3, 3 and 4 miles in one week. I honestly don't know if I can because I haven't tried lately. I want to do it, but I don't want to get injured again. I really hurt myself after the half Marathon I completed in June (stress fracture in my left dumb shin). My calves and shins are SO much stronger than they were in back then though from cross training. I dunno. I guess I will train as much as I can and assess the damage before the registration deadline. Thoughts?

Also, figuring I'd just start at week 1 in the training (Higdon) and get up to the 9 mile run and trust my mind to get me the last 4.1 miles on race day. If I do this, I don't walk an inch. If I end up unable, I will just find another race.

Replies

• mkaluzny
    mkaluzny Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    It's a tough call, but you know your body. I would try to accelerate training a bit. 10-11 miles would be a better place to be if you want to add the rest on race day. Good luck.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of it depends on where you were mileage wise before your injury. If you've done a half marathon before, I think you could probably handle it. You might be behind in the training, but you could get pretty close to 13.1 by then. I would just try it and see how it feels and just be mindful of your injury history as to not hurt yourself again. And as far as walking goes - if you have to walk part of it, so be it - at least you won't be injured.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    My friend just asked me to run the Amica Seattle Half Marathon with him on November 27. I'm exactly 3 weeks behind in training IF I were able to run 3, 3 and 4 miles in one week. I honestly don't know if I can because I haven't tried lately. I want to do it, but I don't want to get injured again. I really hurt myself after the half Marathon I completed in June (stress fracture in my left dumb shin). My calves and shins are SO much stronger than they were in back then though from cross training. I dunno. I guess I will train as much as I can and assess the damage before the registration deadline. Thoughts?

Also, figuring I'd just start at week 1 in the training (Higdon) and get up to the 9 mile run and trust my mind to get me the last 4.1 miles on race day. If I do this, I don't walk an inch. If I end up unable, I will just find another race.

Yes you can....I'm doing the same thing.

I started running in May with an aspiration to run a Half-marathon in May of next year....then I found my pace in like August and feel like I can run forever. Just increase your mileage, one long run a week...I started at 7, 7.5, 8, and so on...11 miles will be my last long run before tapering off for the October 22nd half.
  • lauehorn
    Options

Depending on your fitness level, it's definitely possible. Try slowing down and integrating some run or jog/walk intervals. It allows you to go farther by giving yourself short breaks for every 5 - 10 min of running or jogging. I've started out with intervals of 3.5 min running and 1.5 min walking and worked up to 10 min running and 1 min walking. I've found that I'm faster, less fatigued and less injury prone with this approach. If you don't have a time goal, just a goal to finish, you should be fine with only 9 weeks. Just be careful ramping up miles too much from week to week, and, if you are going to go for it, start immediately!
  • lauehorn
    Options

Depending on your fitness level, it's definitely possible. Try slowing down and integrating some run/walk or jog/walk intervals. It allows you to go farther by giving yourself short breaks for every 5 - 10 min of running or jogging. I've started out with intervals of 3.5 min running and 1.5 min walking and worked up to 10 min running and 1 min walking. I've found that I'm faster, less fatigued and less injury prone with this approach. If you don't have a time goal, just a goal to finish, you should be fine with only 9 weeks. Just be careful ramping up miles too much from week to week, and, if you are going to go for it, start immediately!
  • irongirl73
    irongirl73 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Probably, but you may risk injury. Build three weeks and then back off a week and then repeat. So for the long run this week do 4, then 5 next week, then 6 week 3. Week 4 back to 3 or 4, week 5 7.5 miles, week 6 do 8.5 miles, week 7 do 10. Week 8 do 4 and week nine run 10 unless that's the half. You could easier go from 10 to 13. You'll have to listen to your body though. I don't know what kind of shape you're in. Only you can determine that.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I'm "fairly" fit. Was up to 8 mile long runs before the injury (I lost my form on a really long downhill and stressed my shins). Then didn't run at all for 6 weeks before the half in June. I ended up running 8 of it and kinda hurt myself again. I was a one-dimensional runner though.

Since then I have incorporated cycling, walking and strength training while I was healing. I ran two 5k's this past week with no issue beyond that I've lost my lungs apparently (first runs of any substance at all since June). I think it's worth a shot, and I will definitely try to ramp it up so I'm at hopefully 11 before the taper. But I'll be keenly aware of the risk I am taking and STOP if I hurt.

I appreciate the input :)
  • Maura5
    Options
    Hi,
    My daughter ran her first 1/2 marathon over Labor Day Weekend after having trained with the Higdon regimen. She did great & said she felt very good the whole run. She passed the regimen on to me & said, "Mom, you can do it, too!" So, I'm now looking forward to that goal & I'm 55 & def NOT a runner. Believe in yourself & as another poster said, listen to your body. Keep us posted!
    Maura:wink:
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I did a half marathon last month and started on week 4 off Hal Higdon's half marathon training. I could run 12kms when I started, but would very rarely run more than once a week. Half marathon done - was great fun and took me 2 hours. Very pleased with myself ;-)