Getting started

Options
Hello! I’m brand new to really the whole dieting and fitness community. I don’t know what I’m doing and I’m having trouble being motivated, but I’ve decided that it is time to change and develop some healthy habits. I’ve struggled with depression for a long time, which helped me gain a LOT of weight while I was in college. I want to be able to have more energy, a more positive look on my body, and to feel happier with myself. I just don’t know where to start. Does anyone have good tips on how to get this started? How to go from the initial shock from seeing a number on the scale you thought you’d never see to actually doing something about it? I’m excited to start but nervous that I’ll fail.

Replies

• mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    You start by logging in one day, stay within your goal. You also start by going for a walk around the block, then another, and another. Don't starve yourself, eat healthy but watch your portions. Each day becomes a week, and then a month, and then 6 months. If you mess up one day by over eating or not moving, don't beat yourself up over it. Just don't do it again the next day.
    There is no quick fix, it takes time. It's about changing your life patterns, your eating habits, your attitude.
  • coderdan82
    coderdan82 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'd like to echo what mgalsf12 said. It doesn't have to be all-or-nothing right away, pick up one skill or habit at a time.
    There's also some stickies in the "Getting started" forum that are helpful.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,114 Member
    Options
    Another vote for 'one step at a time'.
    Start by just logging your food, it will already give you useful info, seeing where most of your calories are coming from. Then start making tweaks to lower your intake, trying to stay within your calorie goal.
    Try to become more active, gradually. Any movement is good movement, find something you like, don't force yourself to do exercise you dislike.

Building habits for the future is the key. Motivation is necessary, in the sense that you have to have a goal in mind: being able to play with your children or pets, avoiding health issues you've seen overweight relatives struggle with, being able to confidently wear the type of clothes you like,... whatever is relevant for you.
    But day to day, habits are the key. And building habits takes times, gradual change is easier than overhauling your life in one go. And more likely to 'stick' long-term as well.