Did you find it hard figuring out what to eat as snacks, meals etc?

Options
I feel like certain products aren't available where I live (really want to do the protein fluff mousse!), wrong time of year, too many ingrediants, too expensive, too much prep work etc. How long did it take you to put together a roster of regular recipes to snack on? I feel like I need a list of ten things, but I'm having trouble with the internet and my many cookbooks, like they clearly weren't written with me in mind.

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    Do you need to cook snacks? Can you buy ready-made snacks that fit your calorie allowance and style of eating?
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I like protein shakes, fit crunch bars, pistachios those are my go-tos for a quick snack.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,172 Member
    Options
    I pretty much just started logging what I was already eating, then tweaked it over a period of time to better accomplish my calorie and nutritional goals while eating foods I like that are affordable and practical.

IOW, evolution rather than revolution, No "diet foods", just food.

This helped with the part where I pretty much need to eat the same way forever to stay at a healthy weight.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    I feel like certain products aren't available where I live (really want to do the protein fluff mousse!), wrong time of year, too many ingrediants, too expensive, too much prep work etc. How long did it take you to put together a roster of regular recipes to snack on? I feel like I need a list of ten things, but I'm having trouble with the internet and my many cookbooks, like they clearly weren't written with me in mind.

Try adding keywords such as "three ingredient snacks" (or whatever number works for you) or "simple meals" etc. I have simple snacks like 4 oz cottage cheese and 4 oz fruit, or a hard boiled egg and nuts.

It's been a very long time since I watched this, but IIRC the point of Rachael Ray’s 30 Minute Meals were that they were good, simple, quick, and easy: https://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/30-minute-meals/all-30-recipes-from-rachael-rays-30-minute-meals

I recently heard an interview with "Barefoot Contessa" celebrity chef Ina Garten in which a questioner complained that she was a terrible cook. Ina pitched her "Engagement Roast Chicken" as something simple. I looked it up for this thread. There are some important comments from reviewers about the temperature (they think it is too high) and whether or not to use the lemons.

While I like multiple ingredient dishes, my roast chicken is even simpler - I oil the skin and then sprinkle it with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. I cook at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes per pound, upside down on a rack for the first half so the breast does not dry out.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/engagement-roast-chicken-recipe-1948980

You can have leftover chicken in a wrap, in a sandwich, etc.