Calling all cookbook lovers

Options
2»

Replies

• Wellnowhere
    Wellnowhere Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I stopped buying cookbooks at the bookstores and usually just get them at second hand stores now. I probably have downloaded about 300 on my laptop now. Can't say that I have a favourite as I barely follow a recipe, but enjoy reading cookbooks. I do like the Ottolenghi ones...have 3 of them.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,403 Member
    Options
    I just had a quick count, and seem to be owning 83 cookbooks. I'm currently pulling out books that I've not look at in ages and try to find at least one meal to cook. If I don't find anything I fancy then I'll donate it to my local small library.
  • parsnipou
    parsnipou Posts: 32 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    I have also a cooking book addiction 🙈 i have more than 200. I like all type of food mainly food using fresh herbs and spices. But unfortunately Mezcla has been one of my biggest deception, have you made some of the recipes yet?
  • yirara
    Options
    Ugh, Mezcla... I'm conflicted. The dishes look yummy but the layout of the book is not good, and it's impossible to find recipes based on the distinction of only somewhat quick cooks and posh dinners. I've not cooked anything from it yet and should really try something. If I don't find anything... I guess I might actually sell it instead of donating it. Maybe.
  • RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    speress wrote: »
    I created my own cookbook by adding interesting recipes from the internet.

Same here. I have a Gmail account that I use to email recipes I have saved. I find it way more convenient than a recipe book so I even take pictures of recipes I like or find the recipe already typed out on the internet and send it to that account.

Gmail lets me tag the recipe , and search.

r5oo4f0fwsfw.png

• yirara
    Options
    parsnipou wrote: »
    I have also a cooking book addiction 🙈 i have more than 200. I like all type of food mainly food using fresh herbs and spices. But unfortunately Mezcla has been one of my biggest deception, have you made some of the recipes yet?

Ok, Mezcla goes. I mean, many of the dishes look totally delicious, but they only work because of the sheer amount of oil or butter. And many dishes are not really suitable for a dinner as they lack proper, filling nutrition. If I find a second book that goes then I can offer them together to a book selling website (free shipping for me), and otherwise I might try Ebay.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,263 Member
    Options
    Does anybody have or use any of the "Best of America's Test Kitchen" cookbooks? Apparently there is (or at least was) a new one each year. I saw a couple at a thrift shop today, and I almost got one... or both. I was on foot, though, so didn't want to tote 'em back home. I might go pick them up next week when they open again if they are worth owning.

They are good-looking hard-bound books, but I didn't spend much time looking through the recipes. I don't usually follow recipes per say; I use them as a guide when I want to cook something. I often look at several recipes and then "wing it."

There were some others I might go peruse next time I'm up there, especially if I have either my vehicle or a backpack to schlep 'em home.
  • yirara
    edited January 21
    Options
    I don't use ATK, even though I have two and looked at quite a few more of them. I find they are totally for some 'American' taste, which is not something I have, being European. Plus their international recipes have absolutely nothing to do with the original.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I have a bunch of cookbooks. My current obsession are Asian based cookbooks... Japanese, Chinese, and Korean mostly. Still looking for the perfect Japanese cookbook.

What I look for are easy recipes. With my health issues spending a lot of time and energy in the kitchen is not possible a lot of the time.

If anyone has suggestions for vegetarian, Japanese, Indian, or Mexican let me know. Especially simple and easy recipes.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,263 Member
    Options
    Thanks @yirara. That's the kind of feedback I was looking for. I thought I remember someone mentioning them here in the last month - it might have been you.

I'm not sure what an "American" taste is though. I wonder if I have one. I don't use mayonnaise or ketchup. I don't eat fast food. I like sauerkraut and kimchi. I like rutabaga. I like "stinky" cheese.
  • yirara
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Thanks @yirara. That's the kind of feedback I was looking for. I thought I remember someone mentioning them here in the last month - it might have been you.

I'm not sure what an "American" taste is though. I wonder if I have one. I don't use mayonnaise or ketchup. I don't eat fast food. I like sauerkraut and kimchi. I like rutabaga. I like "stinky" cheese.

To be honest I don't know either. I have a couple of American cookbooks, and there's something about using aromatics that doesn't work for me. It's always kind of simple, and almost a bit boring. I'm much happier with my British books. My US books kind of feel like a step upwards from prairie cooking, if you get what i mean, while my British books might have a huge pile of spices, which you can all buy in normal supermarkets no problem.

I don't have any of them, nor have looked into, but lots of people say that the Milkstreet books are better than ATK, especially with regards to international cuisine. Not sure though.
  • yirara
    Options
    Important to note: I think what tastes good to someone is what people grew up with.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,626 Member
    Options
    @Athijade

My Japanese cookbook was first published in 1980 but is considered a classic. "Japanese Cooking - A Simple Art" by Shizuo Tsuji. It's traditional, so not full of shortcuts.

For looking up more modern Japanese dishes online I like this website: https://norecipes.com/
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,189 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Important to note: I think what tastes good to someone is what people grew up with.

Yeah? No. I think that's gonna vary individually.

The only resemblance between how I ate growing up, and how I enjoy eating now, is that I still like veggies.

My mother was a good mainstream Midwestern US cook - not one of those mushy veggies and boil everything people. We had good meals, of the type. But she didn't use much in the way of herbs and seasonings, no one tolerated hot spicy foods, meals were meat-centric.

Other than her recipe for banana chocolate chip cookies (my favorite, but I've subbed coconut oil or butter for lard), I can't think of a single dish that I cook that is the same as I ate when growing up. Different foods (other than some veggies), different flavor profiles, spices and herbs, international flavor profiles, . . . zero meat/fish. I still eat cheese, but it's different cheese, even.