Walnuts! This is nuts!

Options
So all the health guru's are touting the health benefits of nuts. Dr. Oz especially loves walnuts. I normally put walnuts in my oatmeal, but I was shocked this morning! One ounce of walnuts has 200 claories! So I understand they have healthy fats and high protein, but it is not worth the calories to me. One ounce of nuts equals a large banana. I'll take the banana any day!

Replies

• daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    ill take the nuts, so much more satisfying than a banana.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    A banana leaves me starving. An ounce of almonds leaves me satisfied.

Calories alone are not an indication of healthfulness of a food.

(FWIW, I manage to have nuts and a banana almost every day, plus dark chocolate, peanut butter, tons of fruits a veggies, protein, whole grains and stay in my calorie goal ...)
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    Calories aren't everything. The fats in those walnuts are a better for you than the sugar in that banana.

Fats > Sugar
  • tjnd88
    Options
    I don't like the taste of walnuts. Almonds are so much better. I have a 100-calorie pack (low-sodium) almost every day as a snack. So many health benefits, including lowering your cholesterol.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I was never a big fan of nuts until my DH and I changed our lifestyle. Now, I crave nuts and we have them in the house at all times. That is my go to snack when I have a lot of calories I need to use up. The bad part, I want to eat them ALL the time. I don't, but I sure want too!
  • lee112997
    Options
    I know they are healthy, I get that! But I get so frustrated with the calorie count on here. I feel like I have failed if I don't stick to the magic number...oh well!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I know they are healthy, I get that! But I get so frustrated with the calorie count on here. I feel like I have failed if I don't stick to the magic number...oh well!

That sounds like a mental block you need to work through. It's not the nuts' fault. :-)
  • elfenself
    elfenself Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My physician has me on a diet that has a fairly low calorie budget (due to my low resting metabolism rate), and among the foods I am required to eat each day is a serving of 12-15 nuts (almonds, walnuts, pecans, etc.; no peanuts). He thinks the healthy fats are worth it. I use almonds as my late afternoon snack to stave off the 4 o'clock hungries--works for me!

By the way, I'm a newbie and just started using MFP. What a great site, and the food diary works great! Hello to you all!

elfenself
  • lee112997
    Options
    Ummm...I didn't say it was did I?
  • cloneme_losehalf
    cloneme_losehalf Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I steered from nuts because of the calories too. With the exception of my Fruit and nut trail mix I make on occasion. I am not a fan of walnuts they seem to have a bitter taste to me. I love brown sugar and pecans in oatmeal (one of the only ways I will eat oatmeal). The only nuts I like to snack on are cashews or wasabi soy almonds and I am sure they are not in the "good" catagory.