Honey?

Options
I want to start incorporating honey in my eating, as I've heard some benefits. Does anyone know anything about this? Any recipes? Any negative things about honey? Is it good to have a little honey, like 1 TBL, per day? Just curious. Thanks in advance!:happy:

98575.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary

Replies

• kendallalissa
    Options
    I want to start incorporating honey in my eating, as I've heard some benefits. Does anyone know anything about this? Any recipes? Any negative things about honey? Is it good to have a little honey, like 1 TBL, per day? Just curious. Thanks in advance!:happy:

98575.png
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    honey is a wonderful natural sweetener, and it also has antibiotic properties as well. If you cut yourself, put a little honey on it, and it will heal up fast with no scar.

just don't give honey to kids under 2 years old. it can cause problems because it is unpasteurized and kid's digestive tracts are not fully developed-
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    just don't give honey to kids under 2 years old. it can cause problems because it is unpasteurized and kid's digestive tracts are not fully developed-

Botchelism. Blood disorder from unpasteurized honey.
    (That doesn't sound right but I swear that is what I recall....)
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

Botchelism. Blood disorder from unpasteurized honey.
    (That doesn't sound right but I swear that is what I recall....)

i think that's right. whatever it is, people over the age of 2 are strong enough to fight it-
  • kendallalissa
    Options
    Ok, but any ideas for eating the honey? Also, I don't have children. Thanks! :flowerforyou:
    98575.png
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Try the Spicy Honey Brushed Chicken Thigh recipe that Tam posted-it's GREAT!

add to hot tea
  • SandyHern
    SandyHern Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm...I love honey! :smile: I always put it in my tea instead of sugar.
    Also, sometimes I have it on my toast in the morning.
    I don't really know any recipes though...

103332.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • KaitieBug
    KaitieBug Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I like to replace sugar with a little honey-in tea, add a little to smoothies, my husband likes to drench banana slices in honey :smile: It's yummy on Special K waffles instead of syrup. Or my personal favorite, peanut butter and honey on toast!
  • KaitieBug
    KaitieBug Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I like to replace sugar with a little honey-in tea, add a little to smoothies, my husband likes to drench banana slices in honey :smile: It's yummy on Special K waffles instead of syrup. Or my personal favorite, peanut butter and honey on toast!
  • jamielbeck
    jamielbeck Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I read in a health magazine that a healthy snack is 1/2 c. berries (I usually eat strawberries & blueberries), 2 TBSP almonds, and 1 tsp honey. I tried it last week and really liked it. :happy:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Can be used as a dipping sauce for chicken nuggets :laugh:

Sorry, I'm not a huge honey fan so I know nothing 'bout it.
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    honey is great added to tea
    drizzled on top of corn bread (or bran muffins)
    add 1Tbsp to plain yogurt to sweeten it
    can be used as a glaze on chicken or fish
    honey glazed carrots (cooked)
    butternut squash tastes really good with a dollop of honey on top

My favorite - peanut butter, banana and honey sandwiches!

Those are just some of the things I commonly use honey for. I'm sure there are salad dressing recipes and glazes that incorporate honey, I'm just not familiar enough with them to tell you where to go to find those recipes... sorry.
  • amanda15
    amanda15 Posts: 43
    Options
    I love it as a dipping sauce for nuggets. Yuummmm! I do pb & honey sandwiches. I've also been told to add a sliced banana to that sandwich.
  • purrrr
    purrrr Posts: 1,073
    Options
    dip walnuts into the honey, it's just incedible... :heart:
  • alvinhbrown
    alvinhbrown Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    you can sub honey one for one for sugar in any recipe (I generally like to go a little short when using honey because 1 it is mroe expensive and 2 I think the flavor is a little stronger than sugar. but experiment and you can find what tastes good to use. I would say this holds true unless you are reducing it on the stove (frostings or candies, even some cookies)--those that call for refined sugar. Just remember that you can't sub sugar for honey the door only swings one way (in most places that really call for honey--it add addition stablizers that sugar just doens't have). If you are making bread you will have to wait a bit longer and ensure your honey is fully disolved prior to adding the yeast or you risk it not reacting. If you are using active dry yeast that is viable, you shouldn't have an issue, but you are using fresh or old yeast you may need to add just a bit of regular sugar to get it going.

I also like mixing honey into plain yogurt for a topping on waffles,--makes a great sub for whipped cream.

Add it to tea--very tasty. Skip adding it to coffee, it doesn't react well with the coffee, (In my opinion).
  • cquick
    cquick Posts: 220
    Options
    the more clear the honey, the more refined it is and it has nearly NO benefits

the whiter and more pure, the better...make sure you don't pick up whipped honey by accident, because it is sort of white, but it has added no-nos in it. try to get honey with the "caps", this adds even more nutrition, but it can have an odd waxy taste depending on the brand...it does rise to the top of the honey, so you can feel free to scoop it off....

i definitely use it on my scars too, as well as bug bites to sooth the itching...

if you're hungover, the next day take a glass of milk, a banana, and a tblspoon of honey and put it in a blender to recoup on your electrolytes and Vitamin B...it also helps if you drink this shake after a case of dehydration or the "runs"

try to do local honey if you can and support your local honey bee farmers

if you have allergies to flowers, DON:T do wildflower honey

some honeys taste better than others, and that's b/c of the crops the bees were exposed to, i believe "corn silk" honey is the best b/c it's naturally sweeter, but it's super hard to find

if you are thinking later about becoming vegetarian/vegan, you aren't TRULY vegan if you eat honey b/c bees are pretty much considered animals and you are consuming something they produced!

heating up honey actually destroys the good for you antioxidants in the honey...don't put it in boiling water...hot tea is ok and not hot enough to "kill" the enzymes and good things you want from this precious stuff!

pure is best! have fun exploring, every health food store has different varieties....
  • kendallalissa
    Options
    PB and honey on toast! I actually tried that for the first time last night! SO good!
  • TudorRose
    TudorRose Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    On toast.
    If you have hayfever, eating some early season local honey can help
  • LauraK216
    LauraK216 Posts: 104
    Options
    I use honey on toast, waffles, pancakes, etc! It's really good! And much healthier than most syrups! I actually got doing this because my nephew is allergic to corn and can't have corn syrup, and I think the honey route is so much better!
  • iTim__
    iTim__ Posts: 6,823 Member
    Options
    Here's what I know (not much) ...

Bad for babies (don't think you have to worry there... since you appear to be over 2 yrs old).

Better to get the honey that is locally made (not only because it helps the environment to have stuff that didn't travel as far to the farmer's market or store, but because the bees sample the local flowers, which helps with allergies).

Lastly, like everything else, measure it. Makes it a lot easier when you're logging it in your MFP food diary.