Do the calories from milk, corn and popcorn count?

Options
Surely they go right through you?

Replies

• westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Yes, the calories count.
  • knotmel
    knotmel Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    One of the strategies people employ for gaining weight is “gallon of milk a day.” They definitely count!
  • nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    They may go fast, but they still go through the same entire routine that any other foodstuff goes through ... digestion, which takes the energy and nutrition out of that stuff and puts it in and on your body. Everything you consume counts.
  • lesdarts180
    lesdarts180 Posts: 2,808 Member
    Options
    If the calories in milk didn't count how would babies grow?
  • Mark031111
    Mark031111 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    yes they do
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,605 Member
    Options
    If I recall, current caloric values of food take into account how accessible the calories are. Used to be they used a bomb calorimeteter to determine the energy content of food. Some of that energy isn't accessible to our bodies.

I'm pretty sure that whole kernel corn has some caloric value left after it leaves your body. I expect that is taken into account when you look up the food caloric value of corn. I know that there were always ducks on the biosolids lagoons where I used to work very close to the wastewater reclamation plant. They were eating what was left of the corn. It was a surprising place to see birders, but there often would be a person looking for unusual birds there. Some would show up. Note that this is the biosolids lagoons after all the solids go through the anaerobic digester. That's an additional bunch of microbial action after that corn leaves your body.

But bottom line is the calories even in corn count. You get caloric value by eating corn. This time of year you can just go eat it right off the stalk, and it doesn't even need to be cooked. I bet cooking the corn actually makes more of the calories accessible to your body.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    Wow yes they absolutely count, a lot. ALL calories count.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,651 Member
    Options
    VegjoyP wrote: »

What if you can't do the math on the popcorn calories (because people find it confusing). Do those count?
  • iambyrd75440
    iambyrd75440 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For sure
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,853 Member
    Options
    Of course they count. So count them. If I didn't count milk, I'd gain weight at a pretty fast pace, because I love me some dairy foods.
    glassyo wrote: »
    VegjoyP wrote: »

What if you can't do the math on the popcorn calories (because people find it confusing). Do those count?

Use plain popcorn kernels, weigh them, count them. Don't get the weird packaged popcorn. End of math challenge.
  • PeachHibiscus
    PeachHibiscus Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I wish popcorn had no calories. I could eat a vat of it. The air popped kind with real butter, though, not microwave. But air popped popcorn is 30 calories per cup, if you don't use butter or oil, so it's not a terrible amount if you measure it out. And there are lots of different shakers and spices you can use instead of butter, if you want some more flavor.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 1,019 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    If i had those 3 items.. even in modest portions.. that’s 360 calories. (I like skinnypop.. yeah it has oil.)

Milk is used in many cultures as a weight gainer.

gtiq7cyah1md.jpeg

• sugarfreesquirrel
    sugarfreesquirrel Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Not to be gross, but corn looks the same after it's come out? that's why I wondered. I guess the white part of the popcorn breaks off and is used by the body.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,605 Member
    Options
    Not to be gross, but corn looks the same after it's come out? that's why I wondered. I guess the white part of the popcorn breaks off and is used by the body.

I wrote about that earlier.

The corn kernel is covered with cellulose. Your body can not digest it. That's why they use a different method to estimate caloric value of corn than from a simple bomb calorimeter. It's also why ducks hang out in wastewater biosolids lagoons; they eat the corn.

Yes. The calories count. Just like calories from lemonade, lollipops, and ribeye steaks.
  • sugarfreesquirrel
    sugarfreesquirrel Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »

I wrote about that earlier.

The corn kernel is covered with cellulose. Your body can not digest it. That's why they use a different method to estimate caloric value of corn than from a simple bomb calorimeter. It's also why ducks hang out in wastewater biosolids lagoons; they eat the corn.

Yes. The calories count. Just like calories from lemonade, lollipops, and ribeye steaks.

Sorry, I guess I didn't understand?