New moms out there!

Options
Hey guys! I am struggling with getting back to my routine after the birth of my wonderful baby boy! I am breastfeeding, so I’m concerned about weight loss, calories, and milk production. How do you make sure you have enough milk and lose weight??

Replies

• quinn107
    quinn107 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How many weeks postpartum are you? I’ve breastfed two of my kids and was able to lose 50 lbs while nursing my soon to be 1 year old. I personally try not to focus too much on the calories in the beginning while you are still establishing a supply. I waited till 3 months before I started counting and used a breastfeeding calorie calculator to get the amount I should be eating, which will likely be much higher than you assume.
  • Mindarin
    Mindarin Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have only ever gained weight while breastfeeding. 😳 Apparently, that's how about 50% of women respond to the breastfeeding hormone prolactin. That said--after about six weeks, your supply will become less sensitive/more established, and you can treat it as an automatic 500 calories a day addition. Try setting your activity level to active in MFP and then eat back half the calories of any exercise you go out of your way to do. You have time. No such thing as "snapping back" postpartum.