Highly confused! How does calorie deficit work in MFP?

Options

The TDEE calculator gave me ~1700 calories as my maintenance calories with moderate exercise. Since this is with exercise, am I supposed to be eating 1100 calories in order to lose weight?

I was told I should be eating my prescribed food calories MFP gives + exercise calories. So, how does deficit work in that case?

I need clarification as I keep getting differing advice. I'm not losing weight. I was told I might be eating back my exercise calories, and another thread said I should be eating the prescribed calories + exercise calories because I was seeking help. My period stopped, and my weight loss plateaued.

I'd love for someone to explain how this works in MFP.

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    It should be simple: You type in your stats and the rate of loss you want. MFP gives you a calorie plan that includes a loss factor.

The first complication is making an activity level estimate. I always set it to "Sedentary" then add in for workouts (e.g., using the options in MFP). Then, be a bit conservative as you eat back those exercise calories.

You can use a fitness device to estimate your workouts. Lots of choices, depends on what sort of activities you do. Fitbit is generally the cheapest and simplest.

About the formula used to estimate your calorie plan. MFP (and most other websites) use the "Mifflin St. Jeor" formula. It is a crude estimate based on height and weight. Sex and age make a lesser contribution. You know if it's working for you if you lose weight as expected. If not, you need to adjust your plan.

Note that losing 1 lb is roughly equivalent to eating 3500kcals less than you burn. Dividing that into 7 days, that's an average daily deficit of 500kcals. Losing 1 lb per week is a good approach for most people. Slower is fine too, but trying to go faster is usually not successful. When you tell MFP you want to lose a pound a week, it estimates the number of calories per day to accomplish that. That calorie estimate is just 500kcals below it's maintenance estimate.

Best of luck!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,137 Member
    Options
    If you include your exercise in your activity level, don't add exercise separately. If you set your activity level excluding intentional exercise - which is what the MFP instructions say to do - then you would log your exercise when you do it, and eat those calories too, to keep the same weight loss rate.

If you synch a good fitness tracker to MFP, and you enable negative adjustments, MFP and the tracker will compare notes and adjust your calorie goal based on what the tracker estimates you've burned. For a lot of people, that's simplest.

If you want to include exercise in your activity level, it may be better to get a calorie estimate from a calculator designed for that approach. This is IMO one of the better ones:

https://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/

That one has more activity levels, with better descriptions of each, compared to a lot of other calculators. It also lets you compare estimates from several different research-based calorie estimating formulas. That detail does make the user interface look complex at first, but if you step through it, it's easy to use.

Either method can work: In one case you're averaging your planned exercise into your calorie goal (making it important to stick to that exercise plan!). In the other case, you're putting exercise in separately. Either one accounts for all of your activity that contributes to your calorie needs. What tends not to be a great idea is mixing the methods, i.e., adding exercise calories on top of a calorie goal that already includes exercise plans (won't lose weight as fast, maybe not at all), or exercising a lot on top of a calorie goal that didn't include exercise (potential for under-eating, under-nutrition, and bad consequences from those).

Either way, follow a particular approach closely for 4-6 weeks (whole menstrual periods if you're having them), then adjust your calorie goal based on your actual results. The calculators - either type - just give you a statistical average of calorie needs for similar people. But we're each unique individuals: The calculator estimates will be close for most people, noticeably off (high or low) for some, and surprisingly far off for a rare few. That's the nature of statistical estimates.

Note that fitness trackers are also just giving statistical estimates of calorie needs, just more detailed, nuanced ones. They can be wrong, too, for people who are non-average in some way. (Why a person is non-average may not be obvious.)

If your period stops and you're not losing weight, you should see your doctor. That's not normal.

If you were losing weight fast and your period stopped, that would be a sign of severe under-eating.

I'm one of the people for whom MFP's and my tracker's estimate is quite far off. Once I adjusted my calories based on a month or so of results, my weight changes became pretty predictable.

Summary: See your doctor about the stopped period. Adjust your calorie goal to achieve weight loss once you have enough experience data to work with.

Best wishes!
  • herringboxes
    herringboxes Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    How long since you stopped losing weight, and how long since you stopped menstruating?
  • BodyTemple23
    BodyTemple23 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    @herringboxes, it's been about a month now.

I wasn't losing weight fast. It was slow and, in fact, relatively frustratingly slow. Only in June did I lose weight after trying for months. I lost about 3-4 pounds overall in 45 days, and in mid-July, the weight loss plateaued, and I also missed my period. I noticed June was relatively light, too.
  • herringboxes
    herringboxes Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    My understanding (and I could be wrong) is that amenorrhea (loss of period - but it would have to be several to be official) can be caused by too low body weight/body fat - but not really from too low calories for someone with currently adequate body mass/fat.

So, are you currently at too low a weight?
  • knotmel
    knotmel Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Just to add to collective wisdom, as someone in perimenopause, I’d throw that in as an option as well as saying when I started having irregular periods (including skipped periods) my doctor also checked my thyroid levels to eliminate that as a cause. It’s a symptom worth getting checked out by a doctor, whatever the likely cause.
  • BodyTemple23
    Options
    Thanks all. I appreciate your comments. I'll be seeing my GP soon.
  • BodyTemple23
    Options
    My understanding (and I could be wrong) is that amenorrhea (loss of period - but it would have to be several to be official) can be caused by too low body weight/body fat - but not really from too low calories for someone with currently adequate body mass/fat.

I'm overweight by about 15-20 pounds. I'm trying to lose weight.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    If you use a TDEE calculator to figure your daily calorie needs....you should INCLUDE your intentional exercise/activity in that....that will give you your maintenance calories as well as your BMR and you can manually set your calorie goal in MFP to be something lower than your TDEE, but above your BMR. If you do it this way...DO NOT log your exercise in MFP. You don't need to 'eat exercise calories back' if this is how you calculated your calorie goal.

MFP, if you used that alone to calculate your daily calorie goal - does NOT use the TDEE method....when MFP asks your 'activity level' you should NOT include intentional exercise/activity. Therefore if you do intentional workouts, you log it so it can add those calories back - and you should eat back anywhere between 50-100% of them depending on your hunger/energy levels.

MFP uses NEAT and that's not the same as TDEE.

EDIT: something I noticed in your OP... you subtracted 500 calories from your TDEE, which theoretically would mean you could lose 1lb per week. However, some people simply don't have 500 calories to cut out. And you do NOT need to cut out 500 calories a day in order to lose weight, you simply have to be consuming less than your maintenance level calories. And you shouldn't be eating less than your BMR (or that close to it really).... so depending on your personal information -- you may not have much wiggle room.
  • BodyTemple23
    Options
    @westrich20940 thank you!

Yes, I opted for moderate exercise in TDEE and it gave me 1700 calories for maintenance. My BMR is 1200. So I can basically have 1200 calories a day (but if 1200 calories are without exercise, I'm essentially creating a deficit of 1200 - exercise calories, no?).

In the past, I did lose weight by eating 1200-1300 calories. Plus, religious workouts.
  • westrich20940
    Options

Yes, I opted for moderate exercise in TDEE and it gave me 1700 calories for maintenance. My BMR is 1200. So I can basically have 1200 calories a day (but if 1200 calories are without exercise, I'm essentially creating a deficit of 1200 - exercise calories, no?).

In the past, I did lose weight by eating 1200-1300 calories. Plus, religious workouts.

@BodyTemple23 -- If your BMR is 1200 (based on your TDEE calculation) --- this is the amount of calories you theoretically would need in order to stay alive if you were simply lying in bed all day. You do not want to eat only that many calories daily, because you aren't just in bed all day.

Your TDEE being 1700 means that...throughout your day you are using 500 calories of active energy on top of the 1200 that your body is just using to stay alive/function. So...if I were you - I'd start with manually setting your calorie goal in MFP to be 1400 -1500 and go from there. See how you feel, if you are losing or staying the same weight (remember this takes time, so try for at least 3 weeks I'd say, then weigh and see if you need to make any adjustments). You can have some days where you consume a little less than that, but do not make that a chronic habit.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,114 Member
    Options

As a side note, to clarify the vocabulary:
    your deficit = the amount of calories you are consuming under your TDEE. So if your TDEE is 1750 per day and you're eating 1500 per day, you have calorie deficit of 250kcal per day
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    @herringboxes, it's been about a month now.

I wasn't losing weight fast. It was slow and, in fact, relatively frustratingly slow. Only in June did I lose weight after trying for months. I lost about 3-4 pounds overall in 45 days, and in mid-July, the weight loss plateaued, and I also missed my period. I noticed June was relatively light, too.

You don't have much weight to lose, so I would say that losing 3-4 pounds in 45 days is a lot! I only lose a half a pound a week when I am working out and when I am watching what I eat. If your periods have stopped, my guess is that you are under weight. What is your height and weight?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options

I'm overweight by about 15-20 pounds. I'm trying to lose weight.
    How did you determine you're 15-20lbs overweight?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • BodyTemple23
    Options
    @ninerbuff @mgalsf12

I'm 43 Y, 5'3 and 144 pounds. I'm overweight.

I felt my best when I was 129 pounds back in 2019. I still had a few pounds to lose, but I had a lot of energy.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,137 Member
    Options
    @ninerbuff @mgalsf12

I felt my best when I was 129 pounds back in 2019. I still had a few pounds to lose, but I had a lot of energy.

Weight loss can improve energy level, but getting stronger and more cardiovascularly fit, and tuning up nutrition if it can be better - those can potentially have a bigger impact on energy level, IME.
  • westrich20940
    Options
    @ninerbuff @mgalsf12

To be fair...144lbs for a 5'3" female isn't really 'overweight' other than being over the arbitrary cutoff of 140lbs. If you were 140lbs you'd be considered 'healthy weight'....so what's 4lbs?

If you say you felt better at a lower weight...then I get it. When you weighed 129lbs...why are you saying you had a few to lose? Evaluate why you are focused on weighing a certain number - especially if you feel good and within a healthy weight range.
  • BodyTemple23
    edited August 2023
    Options
    I need help to lose weight. I can see the fat on my body, and that's how I know I need to lose weight regardless of what the scale says. I've been doing cardio for 6 months and eating healthy, but that has not helped with my energy.

I appreciate your comments. But I'm a bit frustrated about the weight loss.

I'll just figure it out. Thanks!