cramped up legs??

Options
So I either go on a long power walk or run on my treadmill for my cardio exercise every day and last night I ran on the treadmill, like always, for less time actually (only 20 mins) and my calves were a little sore after for some reason but i didnt think anything of it. Then, in the middle of the night, I woke up with extremelyyyy painful cramping all up my one leg. The kind that like tightens up your calve and KILLS. I tried everything to get it to go away and it wouldnt go away for like an hour! I woke up this morning and both of my calves feel sore and kind of tight and cramped. Does anyone know what this means? I drank plenty of water and I stretched before and after like I do every other time..

Replies

• DoncasterPhotography
    Options
    sodium/potassium inbalance can cause cramps...
  • JenFerguson1
    JenFerguson1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options

what does that mean?? haha
  • authson
    authson Posts: 233
    Options
    Try eating a banana and really make sure to drink alot of water the next few days
  • DoncasterPhotography
    Options

what does that mean?? haha

too much of one, not enough of another.. :o)
  • kcormack999
    Options
    Me and my grandmother both suffer from night cramps, she was told to drink a small amount of tonic water everyday as it contains something called Quinine that helps. I know tonic water is disgusting on its own but it seems to work!!!
  • JenFerguson1
    Options
    thanks everyone!:)
  • meetingmygoals
    Options
    I have the same issue when I run, I get 1/2 way thru and my calves are killing me. Try drinking some poweraid it will help balance your electrolytes.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    I used to get really bad leg cramps like that while pregnant, where my calf would just tense up so bad it was rock solid. I found that massaging it, slowly but firmly sliding my hands down towards my ankle helped a bit, and stretching out my calf by slowly flexing my foot flat at a 90 degree angle from my leg. It isn't comfortable while the muscle is cramping up, but helped ease off the cramp much faster.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Yup.

Are you doing low-carb? A lot of high potassium foods are also high in carbs.
  • JenFerguson1
    Options
    thanks! Im not doing low carb. I eat a big variety. Its weird because this has never happened before and I run all the time.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    thanks! Im not doing low carb. I eat a big variety. Its weird because this has never happened before and I run all the time.

Maybe it was just a fluke. Potassium is a tough thing to get enough of, though, even if you're eating the right foods. "High" potassium is around 300 grams or so, but you need something like 3,000 according to guidelines. I don't think most of us get there.

Hopefully, your leg feels better and it doesn't happen again. I've woken up with those cramps before. NOT fun!
  • JenFerguson1
    Options

Maybe it was just a fluke. Potassium is a tough thing to get enough of, though, even if you're eating the right foods. "High" potassium is around 300 grams or so, but you need something like 3,000 according to guidelines. I don't think most of us get there.

Hopefully, your leg feels better and it doesn't happen again. I've woken up with those cramps before. NOT fun!

Thank you! It was a little better today but still kind of crampy feeling. its just so weird to me! Hopefully it will feel better by the morning