Is it a myth? Or real?

Options
Is it a myth that you find it harder to lose weight if you eat less calories? Or is it true?

I guess my body is feeding off yesterdays dinner?

Before anybody shouts…I’ve had 850 calories again today…only because…I have been out all day sitting in a park in 24 degree heat…and I’ve put on 3lb in a day 😬

I weighed 11 stone 11 this morning…I’m now 12 stone 🙈

I will try to eat my calories tommorow and for the foreseeable :D I promise x

Replies

• Lildarlinz
    Lildarlinz Posts: 276 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    csplatt wrote: »
    Weight fluctuates. It depends on hydration, time of the month, what we ate yesterday, how much of a bowel movement we had recently, all the things. weight gain (scale goes up) doesn’t necessarily mean we are having fat gain. I am still curious as to whether you are eating as little as you think you are though. It’s odd to not be hungry and not be losing weight with the numbers you post. But I also don’t know how many weeks you have been at it.

Hi cs xx I’ve charted everything today…
    I woke up at 7….I didn’t eat until 4pm…apart from my 4 polos and my diet coke…

I had 2 skinny burgers (240 calories)
    Potatoes say 100 grams (not sure on calories)
    Steam veg bag (70 calories)
    Burger buns (240 calories for 2)
    And a fibre bar (70 calories)
    And a packet of crisps (72 calories)

Hope that helps it’s about 800-900 calories probably not even that and I’m not hungry now
    I’m too hot
    I got sunburnt at the park…so feeling a bit rough round the edges
    I started about a week or two ago…I’m going to Ireland in 4 days so I’m gunna start properly when I come back 😁 as I have an all inclusive breakfast waiting for me 😁
  • pony4us
    pony4us Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Also if you in a hot climate heat and humidity adds pounds of water weight, unless you are in AC all the time.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Options
    Lildarlinz wrote: »
    Is it a myth that you find it harder to lose weight if you eat less calories? Or is it true?

Before anybody shouts…I’ve had 850 calories again today…only because…I have been out all day sitting in a park in 24 degree heat…and I’ve put on 3lb in a day 😬

It's a really bad idea to base how many calories you can eat on a given day based based off what the scale said that morning. It can lead to really disordered eating, as you've already described. I would really suggest you stop the 850 calorie days. I would say no big deal, but you seem to do this regularly. As you've even posted about it before. You easily could have eaten before going to the park. I think, logically, you know that. And then again after you went home and cooled off. There's also cold food you can eat.
  • Lildarlinz
    Options
    im a traveller before in 2021 im 105kg but now im 85kg. i change my diet and i do trek alot after 6 month i acchived 95kg and after 1 year now im 85kg. and also Health Zylo help me alot

Wow! That’s brilliant destiney :) I love walking :) I don’t think I could do like kilamanjoro or anything though haha! :D xx
  • Lildarlinz
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »

It's a really bad idea to base how many calories you can eat on a given day based based off what the scale said that morning. It can lead to really disordered eating, as you've already described. I would really suggest you stop the 850 calorie days. I would say no big deal, but you seem to do this regularly. As you've even posted about it before. You easily could have eaten before going to the park. I think, logically, you know that. And then again after you went home and cooled off. There's also cold food you can eat.

I totally agree! I know :) I went out at 10…I wasn’t hungry before I went…but I was only hoping to be our for an hour…but my son was just having a blast…so I ended up staying for like 5 hours…I sunburnt now (whoops)
    When I got back I didn’t even want to cook as I was so hot…but I did :)
    I will try to eat more I promise :) x
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »

I totally agree! I know :) I went out at 10…I wasn’t hungry before I went…but I was only hoping to be our for an hour…but my son was just having a blast…so I ended up staying for like 5 hours…I sunburnt now (whoops)
    When I got back I didn’t even want to cook as I was so hot…but I did :)
    I will try to eat more I promise :) x

I get it. It can be hard for sure. I work as a pre-k teacher... so I basically have, like, 15 minutes to try to cram some food in during my workday. Which ends up being, like, 10 hours. I'm not trying to be mean, I promise. I just know it's easy to let it happen.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Sunburn, like any damage to body tissue, will cause water retention.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,896 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Are you saying you put on a stone (14lbs) during the day from eating 850 cals and now your promising to eat more.....Maybe talk to your PCP about your thinking process and dietary needs or get referred to someone with that expertise.
  • herringboxes
    herringboxes Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    She didn’t say a stone, it was 3 pounds.

3 pounds of water, of course.
  • Lildarlinz
    Options
    Didn’t realise it was going to be so hot…I thought it was going to be like a cool day where it was going to be shady xx
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,085 Member
    Options
    Didn’t realise it was going to be so hot…I thought it was going to be like a cool day where it was going to be shady xx

The point is that sunburn will increase water retention in your body (it's part of healing), and increased water retention will increase your scale weight (but without regaining fat). That's probably why the scale went up.
  • Rockymountainflyer
    Rockymountainflyer Posts: 26 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    I wonder if you are underestimating calories a bit? Skinny burgers might be higher calories than 480 (burger and bun for 2) you calculated. Maybe more like 600 calories? Mints are another 24 calories which makes me wonder if you thought about anything on the burgers like mayo, ketchup, pickles etc? Also, are the chips really that low of calories? Sometimes a bag is 2 servings, not one. Just doublecheck.
  • Lildarlinz
    edited August 2023
    Options
    I wonder if you are underestimating calories a bit? Skinny burgers might be higher calories than 480 (burger and bun for 2) you calculated. Maybe more like 600 calories? Mints are another 24 calories which makes me wonder if you thought about anything on the burgers like mayo, ketchup, pickles etc? Also, are the chips really that low of calories? Sometimes a bag is 2 servings, not one. Just doublecheck.

I had sugar free polos :) which is 10 calories for 3 polo mints :)
    The burgers were 120 calories each burger (it said on the pack)
    And so did the burger buns 125 it says on the pack so 495 altogether :)
    They were plain burgers…I don’t eat pickles or anything like that just a splodge of brown sauce :) I’m pretty much a plain Jane..unless it’s chilli powder on some meatballs YUM!

As for chips…I usually buy the slimming world ones until I found out that they were just potatoes cut up into chips…so I buy bags of potatoes now fresh and cut them into chips and use fry light :)
  • Rockymountainflyer
    Rockymountainflyer Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If you eat a lot one day, the next day you'll weigh heavier because of the food still digesting. You look like a grab and eat on the go person. So maybe throw some nuts or an extra granola bar in your bag for busy/hot days to get your calories up a bit. Going that low consistently won't help with permanent weight loss. If you have a desk or Fridge at work, hard boiled eggs, bananas and avocados are great, even when hot.