blew my diet this weekend

Options
I stayed at or under my calorie goal for all of last week and I worked out 5 days in a row, and then the weekend came. I completely blew my diet on Friday night and Saturday. When I look at my calories in/calories out, that day and a half of cheating pretty much erased all of the hardwork I did during the week. The silver lining? I see how I got to wear I am so quickly. Guilt and destroyed self-image have set in :-(

Replies

• jeanice66
    jeanice66 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I know, I think it is absolutely the most frustrating thing to have what took five days to do can be so quickly undone on the weekend. It seems like every weekend I am loosing the same three pounds over and over and over! Very frustrating....
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you worked out and ate right for 5 days, then had a couple of bad days, you probably didn't undo all your hard work. You just set it back a little. You don't have to be good all the time to lose healthily. You just need to be good most of the time. Brush it off and get back on track.
  • StormyLlewellyn
    Options
    Must have been contagouse... Me too.. I was really good all week when friday hit I didn't feel so great so I ate comfort food most the weekend and didn't workout for 3 days... With that said I am hitting the gym as soon as it opens today.. & I am going to get all my water in this week.. No worries over what happened in the past just put one foot infront of the other and keep moving forward.... Getting back on track will help disolve away the guilt. Hang in there..:smile:
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    That sucks, but I'm glad you have realized that cheating DOES NOT work. Not in the amounts that some people do. a couple hundred calories over on one meal is cheating.

good luck!
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Sat and Sunday are my days to eat "normal" (maintenance calories instead of deficit)

That being said if you mean you blew your diet by eating enough to gain weight, then yes, you need to see where the problem lies and fix it.

It truly is a lifestyle change, and that's the hardest thing of them all to integrate.
  • It's hard to accept at first, but the only thing you can do is move on. What is the use of destroying yourself today when it's a new day and the weekend is behind you? I struggled with this a lot but decided what worked best for me was to work out a lot and eat great 6 days per week, then have 1 day where I can let go. Sometimes I go way over my maintenance calories, sometimes I am just barely over. I work out enough where it balances. Find what works for you, but I know I love to be able to go nuts once a week because I am very diligent during those other 6 days. For the first time in over a year, I basically ate whatever I wanted and didn't work out much for the last 5 days. It felt AWESOME lol I hurt my knee last week so I was unable to run and it seemed like a great time to cheat a little. I just know I am always ready to get back on track. This is a lifestyle and lifetime change, so having 2 days of slipping up means nothing in the long run. Have a super healthy breakfast, take a walk or if you have time get in a good sweaty workout, drink tons of water, and carry on!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Ugh - me too! I'm usually pretty good on the weekends(get some exercise in so even if I have a bit too much food/drink, I'm ok) but my fall allergies kicked in hard and I didn't feel like doing anything. On top of that, we had unexpected company both nights so the food choices for dinner weren't what I would normally have. Too much take-out and good beer...

Oh well, back on the horse today and hopefully it won't take too long to get back to losing.
  • Hirundo
    Hirundo Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I stayed at or under my calorie goal for all of last week and I worked out 5 days in a row, and then the weekend came. I completely blew my diet on Friday night and Saturday. When I look at my calories in/calories out, that day and a half of cheating pretty much erased all of the hardwork I did during the week. The silver lining? I see how I got to wear I am so quickly. Guilt and destroyed self-image have set in :-(

Oh come on !!! Lets do the math together ...

Did you ever calculate what would be your maintaining goal ? the amount of calories you need to maintain your weight ? No ? oh ! play with MFP a bit and find it .. just for your personal knowledge... So what is it ? did you go over that ? Probably not...

ok ok .. let say you did ? Did you go over by 3500 cal ? (roughly 1lbs = 3500 cal , if you didnt know) I'm sure you didnt ...

So yeah, you had a bad week end, but you still did great work last week... you didnt blew your diet up , you just had a bad week end... Stop feeling guilty, assume what you did and go back on track today ! You will probably still loose, maybe not what you wanted too at 1st.. but you know, do everything perfectly if you can and you still wont loose as much and as fast you'd like all the time ...

I had a very bad week end too , stop whinning and do like me ... back on track!!!

And you know what ? It will happen again, bad days, bad week end, or good things like a birthday meal, or a vacation.. it's called life !