Are my goals unrealistic?

Options
I was talking to a friend today and I mentioned I am aiming to lose about 2lbs a week, she said that its ridiculas and I wouldn't be able to do that, What do you guys think

Aimed to Achieve

- for losing 10lbs = (Achieved 23/09/2011)
- for losing 20lbs = (Aim 06/11/2011)
- for losing 30lbs = (Aim 18/12/2011)
- for losing 40lbs = (Aim 29/01/2012)
- for losing 50lbs = (Aim 11/03/2012)
- for losing 60lbs = (Aim 22/04/2012)
- for losing 70lbs = (Aim 03/06/2012)
- for losing 80lbs = (Aim 15/07/2012)
- for losing 87lbs = (Aim 02/09/2012)

My excersize plan

Charlie Brooks Workout DVD = 3 times a week
Running 2 miles aprox 30 mins = 3 times a week
Ice Skating aprox 2 hours = 1 a week
Swimming aprox 40 mins = 2-3 times a week
Wii Fit aprox 30 mins = 2-3 times a week
Plus walking as much as I can

I know it looks like alot but I'm currently between jobs so am home alone with thte fridge all day, I need to do something to keep me away from it and its contents :/

Please help, I dont want to keep getting my hopes up that I will achieve them and just disappoint myself each time I fail,

Little Miss Optimist :)
xxx

Edit
5ft 6inch
210lbs
19 years old :)

I have usually 1 real home cooked meal a day which is my evening meal
I snack on fruit about twice a day

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Not knowing your ht/wt i can't say how aggressive you're actually being with a 2lb a week goal, i will say i personally wouldn't attach deadlines to any goal, since weight loss isn't linear and you're setting yourself for disappointment. better to take your time and you'll get at certain goal weights when you get there
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your diet is like, I'm just losing a lb or half a lb a week.....you can try, just see how you do? Good luck.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    It may happen or not. I did everything right in order to lose 2 lbs a week but the scale would hardly move. I stil havnt reached my goal since i started in May. When i first started i thought like you though. Just know that weight loss is not what it is all about, being healthy and fit should be your goal.
  • sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    While it's great to have goals I don't like putting deadlines on them either. Instead just try working on your will power over the fridge as I think your workout goals are pretty lofty. That much exercise is bound to have its toll sooner or later and that will just add defeat to your burden. Two pounds a week is doable, especially at the beginning or if you have a lot to lose, maintaining that loss gets tougher as you go along.
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I say shoot for the moon but don't expect to reach those goals every week, Fluctuations and so forth. But those are my goals too and Ive been losing roughly 10 pounds a month. :drinker:
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    It's not realistic. Not unless you are extremely overweight. And I echo what someone else said about not putting dates on goals. I did that and ended up being very disappointed. Weight loss shouldn't be a race and if it is, slow and steady all the way!

Aim for 0.5 to 1 pound a week. I know it will take a while to get where you want, but it's the only way to be successful and keep the weight off. If you are not trying to lose that much each week you will end up losing muscle not fat. Make sure you're eating enough food if you plan on working out that much too.

I also looked at your profile and you're planning on making A LOT of changes all at once. All your food swaps, exercise and eating less will soon become overwhelming. Small steps at a time. Switch one thing out for one month, then go to the next.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    get a picture of your friend with those words written on paper. hang it on your wall as motivation. I used what my own doctor and family said about me jogging. they all said I was too fat and I'd hurt myself. recommended swimming instead. I proved them all wrong. ran my first 5K couple weekends ago. haven't hurt myself either.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    For now 2lbs/week should be doable, but the closer you get to your goal weight the slower it should be and the slower you should try to lose.

if you have 75+ lbs to lose 2lbs/week is a good goal, once you get under 75 to go switch to 1.5 lbs/week, once you get to about 40 to go switch to 1 lb/week and for the last 15 change the goal to 0.5 lbs/week.
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    The easiest way to answer that is to take a look at how long it took you to lose the first ten pounds and go from there without taking it to far.
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    When I first started my journey I had these deadlines on weigh so much by that date. Sometimes it worked good but after awhile It diddn't happen. THen I decided to keep inmind that as long as Im eating good and exercising 30 minutes a day. I will get there. If it takes me longer thats ok. So its good to have a goal for a certain time of year to weigh so much but just dont get upset if you dont make that goal. Goals just keep you going. Good luck You can do it and remember you are not alone....
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    When I started, I was eating for a 2lb loss, but was losing 4lb per week. Now it's slowed to about 1lb. You will get a 2lb per week loss, just don't expect it to stay that way.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I think it's POSSIBLE to lose 2 pounds a week, but highly unlikely that you'll achieve it.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    2lbs per week is my goal as well.
    So far I have been doing pretty good.
    When I seriously started watching what I eat back in early April. My target was to break 200 lbs by Xmas this year.
    Last weekend I weighed in at 214 lbs (Down from 270 lbs at my heaviest).
    From my perspective, I am a head of my target and I am seeing a 1 - 2 lb drop almost every week. At this rate I should break 200 lbs around the end of October, 2 months ahead of schedule.
    I think that if you set you mind to the task. You will be successful!
    Good Luck!
  • Angie789
    Angie789 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    The easiest way to answer that is to take a look at how long it took you to lose the first ten pounds and go from there without taking it to far.
    I disagree with this. Most people lose quickly in the beginning - if you have a decent amount to lose, it would not be uncommon for the 1st 10 pounds to come off the quickest.

As others have said, the closer you get to your goals, the slower it will come off. You'll get there - just don't place timelines on yourself. It's too easy to get discouraged & quit because you didn't make some arbitrary goal you set. As long as you are losing - pounds AND inches - and getting more fit, you are on the right track!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I think it's POSSIBLE to lose 2 pounds a week, but highly unlikely that you'll achieve it.
    This, absolutely
    I don't motivate well with goals that are beyond realistic. Some people do just fine with goals like that, more power to them. But I would just be disappointed in myself over and over for not reaching them. I've been tracking my weight loss since July 2010 (just so I could calculate how much I'm losing per week). It averages to 0.65 lbs a week. Some weeks, I lose more and some weeks, I lose less. (some weeks, I don't lose anything, and this I had to accept.)