Clean, FIbrous, Protein Rich foods - EPIPHANY!

Options
so, basically, i have been on a plateau for AGES, moving within the same four pounds. i only have eight-ish to lose, though.

couple of weeks ago i started a new weights/HIIT regime called Tabata and although it's a much shorter workout than I am used to, I already feel stronger and tighter.

I had a bad weekend food-wise, so did some reading on the net and came up with these strategies:

1. eat six times/day rather than the four/five i have been, every 2-2.5 hrs
2. eat only protein and fibre in meals 4,5,6
3. continue with HIIT and weights, and also some pilates
4. drink lots of water

i have only been doing the food portion of this today, but its 5pm and i am STUFFED having eaten only 800 cals! i've eaten things like chicken breast, kidney beans, apples, PB, porridge.

i didn't realise how NOT clean my diet was before. i am really going to try and keep with this clean eating thing as i reckon it's the key to breaking my plateau!

WOOP!

Replies

• gilly88
    gilly88 Posts: 114
    Options
    so, basically, i have been on a plateau for AGES, moving within the same four pounds. i only have eight-ish to lose, though.

couple of weeks ago i started a new weights/HIIT regime called Tabata and although it's a much shorter workout than I am used to, I already feel stronger and tighter.

I had a bad weekend food-wise, so did some reading on the net and came up with these strategies:

1. eat six times/day rather than the four/five i have been, every 2-2.5 hrs
    2. eat only protein and fibre in meals 4,5,6
    3. continue with HIIT and weights, and also some pilates
    4. drink lots of water

i have only been doing the food portion of this today, but its 5pm and i am STUFFED having eaten only 800 cals! i've eaten things like chicken breast, kidney beans, apples, PB, porridge.

i didn't realise how NOT clean my diet was before. i am really going to try and keep with this clean eating thing as i reckon it's the key to breaking my plateau!

WOOP!
  • kidsrus2000
    Options
    I'm new to this and I feel stupid to ask this but what is HIIT? Thanks.

Eileen
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    When are you doing your workout? You do want to eat a meal containing carbohydrates 2-4 hours before your workout, and another one afterward to replenish lost glycogen.

Tabata is great stuff, but since it's such high-intensity, you do need to refuel. If you are working out in the A.M., then that sounds like a good plan.
  • gilly88
    gilly88 Posts: 114
    Options
    kidsrus - not a stupid question! I'm no expert either. HIIT stands for 'high intensity interval training' and it basically means instead of long duration steady cardio, you do a short (10-20 min) workout with very high intensity sprint intervals interspersed with rest periods. it's knackering but very good for your fitness and fat burning.

sondbyrdsweet - thanks for the post! i generally do my workouts mid morning to early arvo, and always have carbs in the meals either side. youre right it is v high intensity and if don't have proper nutrients i can feel down and tired the next day.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Hehe, I've been preaching HIIT for months now. Check out my blog for some crazy ones.

I'm in SBS's camp about the protein though, I belong to the camp that says you need to replenish fuel so that the body doesn't steal the protein destined to rebuild your muscles after anaerobic workouts. (if you have not carbs coming in, the body's gotta restock the shelves from somewhere, it'll end up being protein if there's no carbs coming in.).