Daily Fiber

Options
How much fiber should you consume on a daily basis?
I NEVER eat fiber, and I just had those Arnold Sandwich thins.. the whole wheat kind that has about 6g of fiber in it, and my stomach is in knots right now, I feel sick.

Replies

• Kasey42588
    Options
    How much fiber should you consume on a daily basis?
    I NEVER eat fiber, and I just had those Arnold Sandwich thins.. the whole wheat kind that has about 6g of fiber in it, and my stomach is in knots right now, I feel sick.
  • marathongirly
    marathongirly Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    35 grams is what I've read!
  • expressbug
    expressbug Posts: 100
    Options
    I eat between 20 and 30 grams of fiber a day and I also take a fiber supplement every morning. The key to fiber is to drink alot of water with it.

Hope this helps.
  • kidsrus2000
    Options
    I've heard the same thing. Definitely drink a lot of water otherwise you will have problems going to the bathroom.

35 grams is what I've read!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    20-35 as well but drink plenty of water and dont do it all in one big hump gradually work to 30grams
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    I aim for 25 grams.

Fiber is something you need to add slowly in order to get used to. Start by getting more fiber with fruits and veggies, instead of crackers or grains. Fruits and veggies are easier to digest and will be less likely to cause you to have gas. If you're not accustomed to eating fiber at all, perhaps aim for 2-3 grams per meal. Don't eat all your fiber in one sitting or it can cause gas pains that last for well over 24 hours! Try to eat about 8 grams total for the first few days, then up it to 12 grams for a week or so, then to about 16, then 20 and 25 - slowly.

Since you're not used to fiber, I'd steer clear of supplements and just get fiber from food. After you start building a tolerance, you can get your fiber from oatmeal, whole grain breads and beans, as well as the fruits and veggies.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    What Miso said.
    The RDA requirements are:

Females under 50: 25g/day
    Females over 50: 21g/day

Males under 50: 38g/day
    Males over 50: 30g/day

But do increase it slowly. Going from 5 to 21g in one day will more than likely constipate you and give you the bubblies. :wink:
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    What Miso said.

But do increase it slowly. Going from 5 to 21g in one day will more than likely constipate you and give you the bubblies. :wink:

:laugh: :laugh: the bubblies!, you funny! so serious all the time, nice to see you show a little humour!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    What Miso said.

:laugh: :laugh: the bubblies!, you funny! so serious all the time, nice to see you show a little humour!
    LOL that's the word my BF and I use when our tummies are upset because we are both a little shy about that around each other...even after 3+ years! :blushing: