First weigh-in/Weekend woes :(

Options
Ok, so as soon as I saw the weight on the scales I felt the need to vent/post something on here!

So on my first weigh in, I've put on 1lb :( I know it's not the end of the world, but I actually feel so silly because I try so hard Monday - Friday, then Saturday and Sunday I end up eating so much rubbish, because it's just there. For example, we had a party on Friday and I drank my daily calorie allowance in Smirnoff Ice alone! (I updated my diary just after the weigh in, and was horrified!)

Saturday was a hangover McDonald's, of course...and pizza (I realise how terrible this all must sound about now...)

On Sunday me and friends went for a carvery, and although I don't eat meat, I had sooo much veg, and not necessarily the good kind, hehe! So that was again, wayyy over my daily allowance.

Even though it was an amazing weekend, I feel like I need to try so hard to really do this, especially because I've done it before, I feel like I can do it again if I really put my mind to it. I lost so much weight (4 stone+) a couple of years ago..and it was mostly due to getting out of a bad relationship and being alone and unhappy. The anguish of everything that was going on made the weight drop off. And now, I'm in a really happy, loving relationship and I couldn't ask for more in my life, I truly couldn't.

So I guess it's extra effort this time that will have to go into really making this work. I felt like crying when I got off the scales (bit melodramatic I know...) but that's honestly how defeated I felt, I feel like I've lost weight but then when I think about how much I ate over the weekend it's quite obvious why I haven't lost anything!

So does anyone have any advice for staying on the wagon at weekends?

Anyone who's in a similar boat or similar journey, please feel free to add me :)

xsophiedollx♥

Replies

• JustForgiven
    Options
    A bottle or glass of water at a party will be just as acceptable as a high calorie dirnk. And you will feel much better in the morning on a couple of fronts. If you are feeling better (the next day) you will be less likely to fall of the wagon on Saturday.
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    aside from the "just don't do it!" advice, I want to say...

You gained one pound. You know the consequences, blah blah blah. But honestly? 1 pound. Yeah, it's better t lose it, but it's only 1 pound. You *could* look at it as "I would have gained more had I not eaten the way I did Monday through Friday."

I had my first true cheat meal on Saturday night in over a month, and went WAAAAAY over my calorie allotment. I was at a party. I had no options. And I enjoyed it.

After logging my day, MFP told me I would weigh 17 pounds more in 5 weeks if I ate like that every day. I lost about half a pound this week, and I see it as a victory that I do not eat like this every day. This is more than 3 pounds a week. And it was not an abnormal kind of meal for the "old me."

Take each small victory as it comes.
  • svetlana_vs
    Options
    In general I eat more on week-ends usually, because there is more going out... but! - I also have more time for working out. This is my recipe - work out enough to allow some nice food out, BUT! this is a life-style change, not a diet, therefore I would not even consider something as McDonalds or Pizza (or both together :-)) on week-end. I try to eat health any day... and if I go for something wrong, log it in and do more work-out.
  • RobinShay
    RobinShay Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Do not beat yourself up over it! The hubby and I always have 1 cheat day a week, usually on Saturday . Yes it takes me longer to take off the pounds but Im happier and I dont binge during the week.
  • HealthiHannah
    HealthiHannah Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged, especially since this is your first weigh-in and it happened to be on a weekend after partying.

Now that I've said that, you know what needs to be done. You don't have to not drink anymore, but you DO need to limit the amount you drink. If you can't do that, then yes, stop drinking. Also, you know all the things that caused you to gain --- you said it -- the mcdonalds and the carvery.

One of the biggest things about fast foods and restaurants is that even if they are low calorie, they are high high high in sodium. Which causes you to hold on to water weight.

Now, to answer your question about staying on track, this is the 100 million dollar question, because EVERYONE has a hard time with it, especially when first starting out. What you have to remember is that you have made a committment to lose the unwanted weight, and that you need to do whats right for you to lose. For me, I don't cut out the things I like, I just eat them in moderation. If I am going to be able to sustain this healthy eating for the rest of my life, I need to know how to eat the things I love without overdoing it. So find what works for you, and its going to take some trial and error for a while until you know. Unfortunately, there may be ups and downs in weight while you are figuring it out. But once you do, it'll drop and drop and drop. :)

Good luck!
  • Beegale
    Options
    Hi there

Weekends are a big struggle for lots of people, you are not alone!!

From the sounds of it you know what it is you have to do, its just finding the will to do it. What has worked for me is to try not to build weekends up into this big thing where there are different to all the other days in the weeks. I know after a long week at school/college/work it just fells like the best thing ever to have a blow out, but instead of building those two days up into some kind of weekly mardi gras try treating yourself every day to something nice to break the deprive/splurge cycle? When I've got a hangover I could quite merrily eat MacDonalds until it came out of my ears but instead I cook a fry up at home. That way I can control the ingredients and the amounts and make 'healthier' choices.

And also dont be too hard on yourself. The weightloss journey is not a straight line from A to B, its a wiggly lane, go slowly and you'll ge there eventually. Each week just try to make one more good choice over bad and slowly things will change for the better.

xx
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I also find weekends to be the toughest and like you, I used to sabatoge all my good efforts throughout the week on 2 days during the weekend. What helps for me is to definately have a plan -- kind of know what I'm going to have -- even journal it before i eat it. It is hard. Like yesterday my husband and I went otu with friends and the kids and when they stopped to eat junk food, I just passed and waited unti llater when I could have something healthy. I also carry around pre-weighed baggies of almonds, pumpkin seeds, or luna mini bars for when I get hungry and I'm getting in the habit of always carrying a water or tea with me.

Also, now that I have started working out, and I'm tracking everything that goes in my mouth and being honest about it, I can see that "wow - I sweated by bootie off for 30 minutes to burn 200 calories and that 1 item I ate had XXX calories!" When you start to see it like that, it helps!

It's tough but you just have to make the commitment to stay focused and on -track on the weekends and you will begin to get through them. The more you get through them, the easier it becomes.
  • xsophiedollx
    Options
    Thanks so much for all of your responses! I am aware of how dramatic it must have sounded, I think it's because I felt like I'd lost weight, and I was kind of lying to myself about how bad the weekend was for calories, I think I needed to admit it publicly and get it out there :)

Thanks so much again!
    xxxx
  • ElleC
    ElleC Posts: 37
    Options
    I dont have the whole weekend off anymore. I pick a day, and THAT is the day I can be a little naughtier than usual. Working your tooshie off Monday-Friday will hurt less if you choose saturday OR sunday as your day off. I also start my naughty day off with a workout. It makes me think twice about how much I put in my mouth....is that cheeseburger worth the pain of the workout that morning? It also gives me a few more calories to work on.

Water is essential if you have eaten a lot of processed foods. Help your body out, by flushing out all the toxins you have stored due to your splurge!

Change what you drink! Smirnoff Ice is ALL sugar. If you are going to drink the booze, try a less calorific option, like vodka and diet tonic. A shot of vodka has between 50-70 cals depending on the brand you drink. I had to give up my old friend...wine. She was making me fat fat fat!

Choose healthier options on your splurge day. I love nacho's but always let my husband eat the lions share. I get a little of what I want. I then try and have chicken or fish as a main course and try and stay away from my other old friend....cheese.

Dont pay too much attention to the scales. My body fluctuates between 1-3lbs difference each day. So I have a weigh in day once a week and take that as my current weight. I avoid weighing in on Monday's, because my naughty day is often Friday or Sunday. I measure on weds mornings.

Good luck :)
  • sheltielover
    sheltielover Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    hi! i think i posted a similar thing on friday b/c i was freaked about the weekend. the last 5 years i would lose weight during the week, only to gain it all back over teh weekend... it was teh same cycle all those years.

well, this weekend. i planned ahead. i planned all my drinks and food- and we went out to eat three times!
    i still had a blast-- but didnt go "all out" like i used to and am happy to report i only gained 1/2 lb... which is no biggie at all.

i really think its wise to have a plan going in. good luck! i know its tough at first- but it does get easier!
  • mamaw53
    Options
    I NEVER weigh myself on Monday! Try every Friday instead.
  • Lozzy_82
    Lozzy_82 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I can sympathize - it was mainly weekend binges like that that got me overweight in the first place. I couldn't understand why I continued to gain weight when I was being "so good all week" and only treating myself at weekends! Eventually I took a step back and looked at what I was *really* doing, and realised that my weekend was Friday to Sunday - almost half the week - and that on those days I was not just having a bit of a treat, but I was eating (and drinking) an obscene amount of calories. I might average 1200 calories a day Monday to Thursday, but those three days of binging could put my weekly average up to as much as 1900-2000!

Anyway - I think that by acknowledging how many calories you are actually consuming you've made a really important first step. Try to change a little at a time : alternate your alcoholic drinks with water, or switch alcopops for clear spirits with low calorie mixers. If you're going out in the evening try to exercise that day and eat something healthy and filling beforehand so you won't be tempted by chips or pizza later. It will get easier!
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    As someone else said, work for your treat day....

So, do some form of exercise before to earn those Smirnoff Ice drinks.... and if you're up to it, do some more afterwards to be on the safe side.

If make this a habit, you will able to indulge in the food/drink you love.... but it won't totally derail you.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I say this having just experienced my first "bad weekend" in a while...so I'm saying it *out loud* for myself as much as for you....

here's what you need to ask yourself on weekends....are you content with where you are or do you really want to lose more weight? Do you care enough about your health not to let 4.5 days of hard work, dedication and commitment go to waste for the 2.5 days of the weekend? If drinking alcohol and eating crap is what is keeping you from your goals, can you live with that....or do you care more about living a healthier life and nixing the alcohol and crap food?
  • Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! Everyone has rough starts on a diet; its getting back on the horse and telling yourself "YOU CAN DO THIS!" is the hardest part. Making plans for your weekend food intake always helps. I tried to this weekend and failed, but when I look at my logs I can honestly say that is no where near what I used to eat! I would have consumed 4-5000 cals a day and 100gms of fat without blinking and feel miserable and tired and useless. So I look at this as a step back but not a step off. Good luck, YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • kirsty0911
    kirsty0911 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up, we've all done it and it's all part of the learning curve.

The only advice I can give you and I follow this myself is to have one 'treat' day a week. This is Sunday for me. (It's handy to have it at the weekend!) I eat whatever I fancy, usually things I have fancied during the week. BUT I must be good in the week to have a treat day. I have done it this way since day 1 of my new lifestyle and I have lost 80lbs so it does work!

Take care
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options

You gained one pound. You know the consequences, blah blah blah. But honestly? 1 pound. Yeah, it's better t lose it, but it's only 1 pound. You *could* look at it as "I would have gained more had I not eaten the way I did Monday through Friday."

I had my first true cheat meal on Saturday night in over a month, and went WAAAAAY over my calorie allotment. I was at a party. I had no options. And I enjoyed it.

After logging my day, MFP told me I would weigh 17 pounds more in 5 weeks if I ate like that every day. I lost about half a pound this week, and I see it as a victory that I do not eat like this every day. This is more than 3 pounds a week. And it was not an abnormal kind of meal for the "old me."

Great post. Great advice. I needed this. Thanks.
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I NEVER weigh myself on Monday! Try every Friday instead.

this ^^
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    oh and just to add, I've been there.. and one weekend I just decided I wasn't going to do it anymore. I know that I want to lose weight and so I don't give in to temptation. What helps me is looking at the nutrition facts on here before getting what I want to eat and so far 99% of the time I've changed my mind and ate something better for me. It takes sheer commitment and dedication.
  • Kikilicious84
    Options

Hey this is really helpful and encouraging...I know I'm not the OP but your post helped me look at things in a different light as well.