What are some of your go-to lunches?

Options
What are some of the lunches you make?

I work from home so I don't really need anything specific, just something that is filling.

Without fail, whenever we go grocery shopping, I plan breakfast and dinner options but always wing it for lunch which as led to too many mac and cheese lunches and I really want to pull myself together.

Replies

• no1racefan2
    no1racefan2 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Turkey sandwich w/ small amount of mayo on sourdough bread
    Frozen meals when I'm feeling super lazy--as long as they fit into my calorie goals
    Leftovers from dinner the night before--I try to plan these on purpose if it's a meal I know I'll like the leftovers from
    Peanut butter toast & a hard boiled egg
    Can of Progresso soup

Most lunches are accompanied by some type of seasonal fruit. Right now it's peaches, cherries, etc. I splurge on produce.

• ReReNotMe
    ReReNotMe Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I love me some scrambled eggs on half-and-half toast (only one egg and one egg white to have a higher protein to fat ratio) or pizza toast with homemade sauce (lower sugar than pre-made sauce) and low fat mozzarella and some olives or something. Both are super quick and filling, especially as I tend to have a lighter breakfast and protein flapjack as a mid-morning snack. Only lacking a bit in the veggie department which I'm working on haha.

I may also have a glass of fruit juice but more recently having a hot chocolate fills me up more and curbs my sweet tooth so I'm less likely to grab a dessert and can save it for dinner.
  • lmmcpherson7656
    lmmcpherson7656 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’ll make myself an omelet with spinach and another veggie. I make at least three or four salads ahead of time to either bring to work or eat when working at home. You can all sorts of protein to them from hard boiled eggs, chicken breast cut up, tuna, deli turkey.
    If you like to have the Mac and cheese try the one with pasta made from veggies.
  • history_grrrl
    history_grrrl Posts: 212 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Egg salad, tuna salad (I add chopped hard boiled egg, onion, and sweet gherkins or celery if I have some), or chicken salad (just discovered how easy it is to poach chicken breasts for this), either with lettuce and cherry tomatoes alone or as sandwiches with same. Biggest calorie counts for sandwiches are bread and cheese, so sometimes I’ll use just one slice of bread or else a tortilla that’s 100 calories for a wrap, and just a half slice of cheese. I also try to have some deli turkey or roast beef on hand for sandwiches. I only use half-fat mayo now and find it tastes just like the regular.

Oh, and you can make a delicious and quick grilled cheese sandwich by first sautéing onion and apple slices till soft, then putting that on top of the bread before adding the cheese.

Sometimes I’ll just prepare a big bowl of salad toppings: chopped cucumber, carrot, onion, black olives, avocado, hard boiled egg, cherry tomatoes (and sometimes those tiny potatoes, boiled, and/or chickpeas) and just have that for lunches, with or without lettuce. I find this so flavourful that it doesn’t really need dressing, and it’s so low-cal that you can eat a lot of it.

My grocery sells packs of small samosas; two of those with some 0% plain Greek yogurt makes a nice lunch.

I also supplement with fresh fruit; right now it’s cherries, peaches, blueberries, and raspberries.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    I mean...you could eat mac and cheese for lunch if that's what you want...

Banza has boxed mac and cheese (chickpea pasta, which to me still has a good texture while also having more protein in it). White and regular cheddar are the ones I've seen in my grocery store. There's about 2.5 servings in the box (I honestly make it two meals -- or if I'm extra hungry or need the calories, I'll eat the whole thing) - but I also add bacon (I cut bacon into pieces and fry it like bacon bits) and chicken thigh (or you could add some other protein to bump up the protein and make it more like a 'meal'). I've also even added in broccoli too with the pasta cooking or sautéed and added it as well.

Throw some hot sauce on it and it's like ~520 or so calories - pretty nice little mac and cheese lunch to me. 55 grams of protein too. =D

But - other than that, if I were home for lunch I'd like eat: deli sandwiches, egg salad or tuna salad sandwich or with crackers, rice+protein+veg and sauce, a salad kit (the whole thing)+a protein added. I'm also a big left-overs eater so whatever was for dinner, I'll eat leftover of that.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    My fav work lunch is poached salmon and avocado mousse with a side of greens.
  • Summersigh2015
    Summersigh2015 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My standard lunch is a mixed salad (lettuce, tomato, cucumber, radishes, peppers) with half a cup of cooked green lentils and a tin of tuna/salmon/mackerel in brine with balsamic vinegar.

It’s delicious, nutritious and filling, and easy.

My weight loss has increased since I stopped eating high simple carb foods like sandwiches and pasta for lunch.

• siyeonsimpp
    siyeonsimpp Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Tuna poke bowl with edamame, seaweed, brown rice, pickled ginger, shredded carrots, etc.
    Tomato soup with grilled ham & cheese sandwich
    Leftovers (usually pasta, pizza, or curry)
    As for restaurants I really like going out for Asian food, esp since a lot of cuisine from East Asia is pretty low calorie, with some exceptions (ie ramen) but obviously portion sizes are pretty large in most restaurants generally
  • vtb4grgc9w
    vtb4grgc9w Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My lunch yesterday was 6 oz sliced turkey, one medium tomato, one slice of jalapeño habanero pepper Jack cheese and 8 oz skim milk…46 grams protein and under 400 calories and filling😊