Intermittent fasting

Options
zeleznikar
zeleznikar Posts: 1 Member
edited August 2023 in Getting Started
Hello, my name is Susy, I have used My Fitness Pal for several years to track calories and exercise. I am in my 70’s , active, exercise everyday except Sunday. I have always maintained a healthy weight but the past few years the pounds have crept on. I would like to do Intermittent Fasting to try to loose 5-7 pounds. Has anyone tried this, and do you follow a certain eating plan?

Replies

• pony4us
    pony4us Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Welcome...I am also in my 70s, active, exercise most days. I realized that I really don't like to eat breakfast. When I was working I never ate breakfast, but after retirement thought I should eat three meals a day...because...who knows why. So I basically eat my first meal around noon. I guess that counts as IF because I'm going at least 16 hrs before eating. Try it but the bottom line is count your calories. If IF helps you do that and you will keep it up for the rest of your life, fine but it is no magic bullet.
    I have been at goal weight for a while now, my plan is to eat what I want but to weigh myself often and to log my meals every day, staying close to my calorie goal. Every Monday I do check the weekly report to be sure I have averaged within calorie goal.
    I do plan dinners in advance (makes grocery shopping easier...always have done this) and I do prelog dinners so I have an idea for other meals.
    I found it very easy and painless to lose and maintain my weight.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,843 Member
    Options
    IF will help with weight loss if it helps you to limit calories. There can be certain risks with age, because we potentially can absorb certain nutrients less efficiently, so spreading food through the day possibly counters that to some extent. (I'm 67, F, for what it's worth.)

Whatever eating schedule you adopt, I'd suggest being careful to get enough protein, and adding some manageably strength-challenging exercise. Those things are long-term investments, but can counter some of the reasons some of us experience creeping weight gain after 60-70.
  • cyntdooley
    cyntdooley Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am in the process of losing weight. I find the premier protein supplement most helpful with my protein intake. I haven't lost any muscle mass since my weight loss. I hope this will help you. Also helps to feel full longer. There is Protein 2o water available that I drink in the daytime. I like grape.
  • coatessaleeta
    coatessaleeta Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm new, although I have done Intermittent fasting ( 5:2) using a book and lost weight. My plan using mfp was to do 5:2 and also eat in a 20 hour window, as I dont eat breakfast either. I'm wondering if that's a bit ott though now, especially as I hot a too low calorie warning!
  • Elphaba1313
    Elphaba1313 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Eat in a 20 hour window? So only 4 hours not eating? I'm not sure that meets IF by even the most flexible definition.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Eat in a 20 hour window? So only 4 hours not eating? I'm not sure that meets IF by even the most flexible definition.

They're planning on 5:2, which means a full 24 hour period of not eating twice each week. Because they're not planning on eating breakfast, that leaves them with 20 hour to eat on their "eating" day.
  • Elphaba1313
    Elphaba1313 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »

They're planning on 5:2, which means a full 24 hour period of not eating twice each week. Because they're not planning on eating breakfast, that leaves them with 20 hour to eat on their "eating" day.

Ah! I get it.