Too few calories?

I went to the dr and got on Adipex. I just want to take it for 1 month. She also told me to be on a 1200 calorie diet. Do you think this is enough? I don't exercise often but plan to start being better at it. just wanted to see what your thoughts are on this. MFP said I should have more calories a day. I was losing at first but seems to be put on hold now. I havent gained anything but havent lost either.

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    Stick with the 1200, but when you do workout eat those calories back. Try it for 3-4 weeks, if it is not working for you at that time make a change (increase calories)
  • I only eat 500 calories a day, and I still have energy to do whatever I need to get through my day!!!
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    I am on 1200 according to this site and I have been been doing it (except yesterday when I went to a wedding) very few times I am hungry.
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Your loss rate will depend upon your body makeup, weight, how much you have to lose, etc. I have close to 100 lbs to lose and I'm eating 1200 calories a day now and losing about 2 lbs a week pretty consistently. At first it comes off fast but it will slow down and I think your body has to "catch" up from that initial loss.

I took Adipex many years ago and did lose weight (gained it back eventually) but when I tried to take them a few years back, I couldn't handle the fuzzy head feeling they left me with. They really crushed my appetite but because I didn't eat very much, I started feeling sickly - like headaches, no energy, etc. Be careful on them. I know many people who have taken them and ended up just regaining their weight when they came off of them.
  • PhilipByrne
    PhilipByrne Posts: 276 Member
    I only eat 500 calories a day, and I still have energy to do whatever I need to get through my day!!!

I don't know where to start on how stupid this is. Unless you are a hamster this is not enough.
  • cowboydan43
    cowboydan43 Posts: 306 Member
    1200 is very do-able! Just eat more plant-based foods ( a cup or two of spinach, maybe a tomato, some chickpeas and dressing goes a looong way for few calories) I'm on a 12000 cal/day + exercise calories and I've lost 11 pounds in 1 1/2 months. You can do it! Drink tons of water- it makes you feel more full.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    I only eat 500 calories a day, and I still have energy to do whatever I need to get through my day!!!

You may want to seek help if you have not already. 500 cals is not even enough for a 2 year old child.

It is very difficult to get the required amount of macro and micro nutrients on a diet of 1200 cals, anything less and you cannot fulfill your bodies requirements, and over time your body will start shutting down non-essential functions.
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member

As I understand it, you are on the hCG thing - I'm not commenting on that, except to say as a general rule, people not following certain kinds of VLCD plans as you are wouldn't be able to sustain 500 calories a day.
  • I agree!!
  • MsEmmy
    MsEmmy Posts: 254 Member
    Sorry to hijack the thread but this post worried me :-

You say on your profle that you want to have kids someday? 500 calories is not sustainable, will damage your metabolism ((so you will gain weight more easily in future) and can cause major problems with your reproductive organs, causing infertility. What you describe is anorexia :(

How quickly you actually losing weight? This programme is supposed to be a healthy plan for the rest of your life - there's no way MFP advised you to eat 500 cals a day.
  • Anything less than 1200 calories is dangerous. I also recently discovered that though I was meeting my 1200 calorie goal I was way over in the carb department. You may want to investigate that for yourself. Your food tracker also tracks your carbs, protein, fat and I think there is even a way to check your vitamin intake. But I know especially that high carbs will slow your weight loss because low carbs forces your body to burn more fat to make up for that deficiency.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I say follow your doctor's advice. She will know you and your individual needs better than a website. If you begin working out more than what you told her at your visit, give her a call and see if she recommends a calorie change.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Did no-one else click on her profile to see what's going on there?

Seems she's doing the HCG thing. So it's a bit misleading to just state "I'm on 500 calories" without giving that other info.
  • kingram02
    kingram02 Posts: 5 Member
    Thanks for all the adivce!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    I went to the dr and got on Adipex. I just want to take it for 1 month. She also told me to be on a 1200 calorie diet. Do you think this is enough? I don't exercise often but plan to start being better at it. just wanted to see what your thoughts are on this. MFP said I should have more calories a day. I was losing at first but seems to be put on hold now. I havent gained anything but havent lost either.

I would keep on going with your Doctors advice of 1200 and try to add in some exercise even if it's only walking. Make sure you eat back your exercise calories though!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member

500 calories? Seriously? Whether it's HGC diet or whatever it's called - is not enough and not healthy.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    It may be too few calories, its rather tough to figure it out without some information like height weight and age. Most of the time, 1200 calories isn't enough.
  • I only eat 500 calories a day, and I still have energy to do whatever I need to get through my day!!!

500 calories/day is dangerously low. Is there a particular reason you eat so few calories?