Got a suggestion on how to improve MyFitnessPal? Share it in this category or vote to tell us what you think of other people’s suggestions. Please be sure to review the Feature Suggestion submissions guidelines.

Note Box & My Food for Recipes

Options
I've been merrily entering my recipes, but could sure use a box to add notes. My portion size and the serving size I use to compute my recipes is often different (I cook for two). I've been entering it in the title which can make the titles REALLY long :-)

Also ... would be nice to be able to pull items from "My Food" into recipes as well as being able to pull existing recipes into new recipes. Example: I make a marinara and freeze it in 2-1/2 cup portions for future use/meals. One of the recipes I use the marinara in is a pasta bake. Entering a "guestimate" is fine, but it would just be a nice, useful feature.
1 votes

Active · Last Updated

Replies

• Jean
    Jean Posts: 761 MFP Staff
    Options
    Thank you for these suggestions on the Recipe creation process. Currently, there is not a way to include instructions when creating a recipe. We will definitely consider adding this option as a future possibility though!

Also, please see https://myfitnesspal.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032622771-How-can-I-use-a-recipe-as-an-ingredient-in-a-new-recipe for more information on how to add a recipe into a new recipe.
  • skay412
    skay412 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU!! The instructions from zendesk worked like a charm!
  • TeresaWJ
    TeresaWJ Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Here's another work-around to consider when creating recipes that you know are likely to change, either by ingredient or amount -- log the ingredients used for that meal in the normal logging method, and then use the "remember meal" option. When saved as a meal, you have the option to create/save it as an individual meal for yourself (log your individual typical portion amounts for all ingredients), or create/save as a full meal (log all ingredients used for 2 persons) and only log back in your portion. For example, log .5 for half of a meal created for 2 persons, or .33 if your appetite was smaller that day. All ingredient portions will adjust automatically. And, as a meal you can adjust individual ingredients and amounts once logged in. If you ate more or less of an ingredient in the meal, you can adjust that one ingredient amount. As you know this cannot be done for recipe's ingredients on-the-fly. And, if you also want to save that meal as a recipe, you can use the "enter new recipe" feature, then search for your named meal (unique name helps!) as an ingredient. It will show up in the results, and when selected ALL the ingredients/amounts saved in that meal will be brought into the recipe being created. Adjust any ingredient as desired, name, determine recipe serving amounts, and save recipe. In your case, enter that lovely marinara recipe as a meal in whatever your standard portion will be (2.5 cups), give it your special name, then that meal name can be searched as an ingredient when you are creating recipes that use that ingredient. You can modify the portion used in the recipe creation as needed.