Exercise question #5345

Options
Hey y’all! I just wanted to know what type of exercises do y’all do. Do you walk/run outside? Do you go to the gym? Do you do exercise at home? When you get into a lull what specific exercise gets you back in it? Thanks in advance

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    What do you do, and why? Do you enjoy it?
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,111 Member
    Options
    I have a home gym in my garage - more costly to start but I've been using my equipment for long enough that it's turned out cheaper than a gym subscription. I don't have many gym options nearby anyway.
    Also, I just find it a lot more convenient to work out at home - no social anxiety, no need to worry about how I look, equipment is always available (if I don't have scheduling conflict with my BF :wink: ), I maximize my available time for actually working out, I'm in control of the TV,...

My go-to exercise is running on my treadmill - I enjoy the challenge of improving my speed and distance.
    I also have an indoor rowing machine - useful for cross-training purposes (although I admit it's rarely used lately).
    And I have strength training equipment, also underused (by me, my BF is using it regularly) at the moment - I should really get back to that.

I run outside perhaps a few times a year. But I do walk outside: some weekends, but mostly when on holiday city walks and hikes).

I'm not sure if I've gotten into a lull recently, although I did stop exercising for a few weeks when I had chickenpox, due to exhaustion. What gets me back into 'the flow' is setting goals: for me that's getting back to my regular weekly mileage, but via smaller goals (lower weekly mileage at first +shorter exercise sessions).
    When I'm not 'feeling it', I'll tell myself I only need to exercise 15 minutes and I can stop if I want after that - usually I'll keep going for longer and occasionally my body will send me the message that it's not a good day and I'll stop (no guilt, our bodies need rest sometimes too).

When my energy/motivation level is low, walking is the lowest threshold activity for me.

Not sure how useful this all is for you - I think the important thing is to find an activity/activities you enjoy and to set small goals (lowest threshold). You wouldn't think it looking at my activity level now, but I was a true couch potato up to 3 years ago. The road to my current activity level was one of gradual habit changes, it wasn't an overnight change :smile:
  • ericahedkrok
    ericahedkrok Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I try to mix it up so that I don't get bored. Usually my schedule looks like below, but it depends on if I'm working from my cottage office or if I'm in the city where the tennis court and the company gym is. If I'm at the cottage I mostly go running and do strength training with dumbbells and home equipment.

City week:
    Monday: Run (outside)
    Tuesday: Gym
    Wednesday: Tennis
    Thursday: Gym
    Friday: Rest
    Saturday: Run (outside)
    Sunday: Rest
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,510 Member
    Options
    Workout every day on a different body part. I do cardio every day for about 30 minutes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,896 Member
    Options
    I play hockey twice a week 10 months of the year and golf and I do some basic calisthenics at home. I've also been going to the gym at least once a week but generally twice or ideally 3 times forever, mostly weight training and always finish with a jog. Now that I'm 70 things have changed and not as powerful or quick as I use to be but I look around and wouldn't want to contemplate where I would be now without it. Cheers
  • cszulc
    cszulc Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    HIIT cycling/spin class 2x per week
    Elliptical(cross ramp type)
    Walk 4-4.3mph treadmill
    40 min+ strength circuits or class 2x per week
    Swim leisurely
    Bike outside leisurely to fitness pace
    Cardio kickboxing class

Don't be afraid to try new things. A year ago if you told me I'd be doing cardio kickboxing and cycling I'd have called you crazy!!
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    i work out at home. i have a cable tower with a 205 pound stack that i use for resistance training 4 times per week with some barbell work. i ride an exercise bike 4 to 6 times per week, walk up and down the stairs in our building at least 3x per week, and i also use an aerobic step or a stepper on days when i don't ride the bike or to supplement it.

and i recently got a tiny treadmill with a steeper incline than the previous one (7%), but i can only do around 10 minutes on the new one at a time so far...
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I have a dog who needs daily walks, and we usually do about 3 miles a day. I run 5 days a week, currently about 30 mpw after some time off after an injury. I have a TM that I use when it is really hot and humid or icy outside. On my non-running days, I will usually ride a stationary bike for 45 minutes or so or go for a short hike in the woods. I do some yoga, light weights, or calisthenics after I do the TM, but am not very consistent about it.
  • scoutmom1981
    scoutmom1981 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I struggle to do alone exercises. I like things that are planned out. I do mostly classes. My gym has a water aerobics class in the morning and a High Intensity Dance Exercise class in the evenings that I try to do. They have a ton of classes but these ones are fun and that is important to me. If I am miserable I'm not going to do it.
  • mcrickyb19831993
    mcrickyb19831993 Posts: 6 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    I workout strength train 3 days a week full body for around 2 hours per day, rest on a weekend, sometimes i throw in a bit of cardio like run up and down the stairs 20 times or so, then just diet and eat plenty of protein, lost just over stone in 10 weeks
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,085 Member
    Options
    It's my on-season, so something like this M-W-F-Sa every week, sometimes more often:

mirjir29saho.jpg

That's me in yellow. Until June, I was cycling for a couple of hours a day usually 2 days a week, but when I starting working at the learn to row class 4 days a week, I had trouble scheduling it. I've biked and walked some on Tu & Th since that ended, but want to get more structured.

In Winter, usually alternate rowing machine and stationary bike for 40 minutes to an hour or so 6 days a week, add some strength training (type varies).

Note: This is not the schedule I started with. I've been quite active for over 20 years now, starting when I was obese. I started increasing activity to recover from cancer and cancer treatment, in my mid-40s. (I'm 67 now.) At first, it was a gentle yoga a couple of times a week, then adding in some daily yoga practice. As I got fitter, I tried out various group classes, including a group strength training class (basically group personal training, not the "everybody does the same stuff simultaneously at fast pace" thing. Later I started rowing, and did that 2-4 times a week, plus some low-impact aerobics on other days.

Recommendation, if you're newer to regular exercise: Choose something you find fun, or at least tolerable and practical. Aim for a combination of exercise type, duration, frequency, and intensity that's a mild and manageable challenge to your current fitness level. Aim for a schedule that has that challenge, but leaves you feeling energized rather than exhausted for the rest of your day(s). A "whew" feeling for a few minutes right after the workout is OK.

Ideally, include some strength challenge and some cardiovascular challenge (but it's OK to start with one and add the other later). Include enough rest and recovery time: That's where your body repaired, which is where the fitness improvement magic happens.

As you get fitter, increase duration, frequency, or intensity - or change type of exercise - to keep the mild, manageable challenge in the picture. That will keep improving your fitness.

Don't buy into the idea that it's essential to do miserable, exhausting exercise in order to lose weight or improve fitness. (That can actually be counterproductive.) Even elite athletes don't do every single workout at maximum intensity, and they have the professional experts advising them. Why would us regular duffers go at max effort all the time? It's not smart.

What do I do after a lull? I don't really relate to the question.

First, I love rowing, so I'd do it even if it weren't good for me, and biking is pretty good, too. (I'll do other stuff to get better at those things, besides.) I've been active long enough now that if I take an extended break (multiple days), I start to feel stiff, moody, cranky, and generally ungood. So I do something active, and feel better. I do usually have to push myself to shift from on-season (outdoor) to off-season (indoor) workouts. There's a particular annual challenge I do that starts on US Thanksgiving that helps me over that hurdle.

TL;DR: Find something you think is fun, that involves moving more. Don't be afraid to give new things a fair try (multiple sessions). Shoot for a mild, manageable challenge.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    I do exercise I enjoy. Since I melt in the summer, I get more cardio at the gym then, which is less enjoyable, but I make it work. I bundle up and walk/hike all winter long.

Regarding lulls, I find using discipline to create healthy habits more effective than relying on motivation, which is fleeting. Here's a good article on that: http://www.wisdomination.com/screw-motivation-what-you-need-is-discipline/

If you're deconditioned after a long lull, start slow so you don't hurt yourself. Walking is generally a good place to start.
  • Opalescent_Topaz
    Opalescent_Topaz Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I get at least 10,000 steps a day. I usually get more like 12-15,000.

I do yoga for around 30 minutes a day.

I use a program on my rowing machine 5-6 times a week.

(I started with walking and yoga, but added the rowing.)