POLL saved " skinny" clothes or whole set of new

Options
I have gotten rid of mine except 2 pairs of jeans.... never felt motivated enough to keep them... but really I want a new wardrobe.... which did you do?

Replies

• reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    I am working my way to the skinny clothes in my closet, but I am sure I will buy more
    :)
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I got rid of most of mine, but now I regret a few of them going :(
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I kept them, but I am getting rid of my fat clothes when they are too big to wear. Not going back, so no reason to hang on to them.
  • Rozzymoo
    Options
    No way was I buying/replacing my clothes. Whenever possible I buy quality that is classic and lasts therefore I felt no option but to get my lazy fat *kitten* back to a size that would fit into my clothes.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    nope - got tired of lugging them around/storing them. Not to mention my 'skinny' clothes are LONG out of style - I had to start over - Getting new clothes slowly, also taking donations
  • tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    My tops won't change much, because even though I'll be thinner, I won't get any shorter (and they don't have many "big and TALL women's stores").

My pants, however, well, I'm going to just try to have them taken in until I really desperately need to buy a new size. I am dirt poor and have to save as much money as possible, so if I lose 2 pants sizes, I'll buy a couple of new pairs.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    One of my huge motivators to start MFP in January 2011 was to fit into my old clothes. I only got rid of a few things and boy am I glad I kept the majority. I reached my goal in September 2011, and now I've switched to maintain.

Today I'm wearing a skirt to work that I can't remember when the last time I fit into it was. There were also pants and other work clothes I had not worn in years that now FIT. So exciting. Using clothes as a motivator and after month's of hard work pulling two pairs of jeans out and having them both fit (one that I had never worn because they were too small when I purchased them) was amazing!

I don't suggest getting new clothes during your transition weight time. Check out thrift stores!

:)
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    A little bit of both!
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Buying new clothes. ALL. new. clothes.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Got rid of. I don't need some ol' Mom Jeans and 90s looking dresses.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    My tops won't change much, because even though I'll be thinner, I won't get any shorter (and they don't have many "big and TALL women's stores").

My pants, however, well, I'm going to just try to have them taken in until I really desperately need to buy a new size. I am dirt poor and have to save as much money as possible, so if I lose 2 pants sizes, I'll buy a couple of new pairs.

I mentioned above--but check out thrift stores when you get to your new size or while on your way there. I have many things that I bought at thrift stores for around $3-5 and they still had the tags on (stuff from Ann Taylor, GAP, JCrew). :)
  • Jacquelyn913
    Jacquelyn913 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Keep your favorites, and toss the clothes that are to big away. Thats what I did. I hate having my 'fat' clothes around. They just remind me of how unhappy I was with myself. and with them gone I tell myself that I can never go back because I won't have any clothes to wear. Lol. I refuse to ever have to pay for another pair of pants because I gained weight (excluding maternity pants).
  • meeperoon
    meeperoon Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I love shopping and I love clothes, Im looking forward to all the new clothes I will buy in smaller sizes but I have some clothes that I really cant say good bye too so they will just become oversized :) thankfully im just working back to sizes I have been previously so most of it will either fit better or just hang differently.

Anything else like trousers, I will buy new but tops are too special for me just to chuck. Plus my mum is pretty nifty with a sewing machine so I'll give her some challenges if I get that small!!
  • pobbles
    Options
    What I have done is as the pounds have fallen off, and my clothes have become too big, I put my out sized clothes on ebay, and the money I get in return then buys me new smaller sized clothes.

Old out , new in.

Not only does it give me a buzz to buy new slimmer fitting clothes, but also makes me feel good wearing the new clothes without having to spend a fortune.

I am never going back to my larger size so no point keeping them is there! :smooched:
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options

I have some wonderful work pants that I may need to take in, because I just don't have the money to replace them either. But, I will see if I can find new clothing in the thrift shop first, because it is cheaper.

--

As far as buying all new clothing. If you can afford it and prefer to have all new stuff, then I see no problem with it. It may give you joy to donate all your older clothing to someone, along with some of your no-longer-needed larger sizes.
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    All of my smaller clothes are from when I was in high school- my style has changed since then so I wouldn't even want most of them except for maybe some plain tshirts & tank tops I kept. I have a pair of pants that were my very favorite pair- I want to get back into those but I don't know if I'll really wear them much when I do.
  • legacysh
    Options
    I went from size 12 and XL to size 6 and medium, so for me i got rid of just about everything. i did have 1 or two things tailored that I needed, but I saved up and invested in a whole new wardrobe and had a blast doing it!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    No way was I buying/replacing my clothes. Whenever possible I buy quality that is classic and lasts therefore I felt no option but to get my lazy fat *kitten* back to a size that would fit into my clothes.
    This is me, too. I made the decision to change my eating and exercising habits when my work clothes were getting too tight. Sadly, I'm starting to get too small for some of mine, now. I had to put my favorite pair of Eddie Bauer capris into the "too big" pile this morning. :grumble:
  • Chai
    Chai Posts: 22
    Options
    I think some of them I will for sure keep and others I will just get rid of. Some must be out of date by now anyway! lol
  • efriling
    efriling Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I remember how much I used to love clothes shopping when I was thinner, but now and for quite a while, it's rare for me to leave a dressing room without feelings of shame & disgust which makes shopping the bain of my existence right now. I can't wait until I lose some of this weight and can go into 'normal' stores and shop again. It will be quite the reward ;)