WHEY PROTEIN SHAKES

Options
Hi guys looking for some help i am going to start taking chocolate whey protein i got from holland and barrett but i have a few questions i hope you can help me with.

1 how much protein powder and water do i use to make a shake

2 how many shakes should i have per day and when is the best time

3 can i use a shake as a meal replacement

4 do i only take a shake if im training that day

please help thanks folks p.s. i think each sccop is 25 grams

Replies

• runnermel
    Options
    bump
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I use 8 ounces per scoop and drink 2-3 a day before and after workouts. It can be used as a meal replacement depending on your diet. You can also add oatmeal to it.
  • iamlegion714
    iamlegion714 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    i use one cup of water or skim milk to a scoop of protein

i dont have a set limit to the number of shakes in a day, per se

i do sometimes call a shake b-fast or lunch or snack, so yeah, i use them as meals sometimes

i have at least one a day, training or no

my favorite lately has been 1C skim milk, half a medium banana, 1Tbls of natural PB, 1C spinach, 1 scoop whey, and a splash of water to runny it up a bit. Chuck it on the magic bullet blender for twenty or thirty seconds. About 350 calories
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    It depends on your weight. I suggest 1 gram of protein per 1 lb. I am 250 lbs so I try to take about 2-3 a day depending on what I have eaten that has a lot of protein.
  • BlessedandBeautifulBrown
    Options
    I used about 2 to 3 a day.. the two earlier are done with Soy milk or Almond the one after my workout water but all one scoop...
    Options
    never tried with oatmeal with have to try this thanks
    Options
    never tried with oatmeal with have to try this thanks
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    1. they are all different in the way they mix and taste, you got to experiment, I found HB needed less water, but I only tried banana and hated it.

2. I use after working out, either with water after weights, or with skimmed milk after a run. use it as much as you like while keeping within your calorie goals, just be aware that it repeats on some people and it does contain artificial sweeteners, so as little as needed seams the best answer.

3. if you wish, but real food is always more fulfilling to me.

4. I use on other days as well to help me get enough protein to fulfil my macro nutrient goals.
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Ohh, and if your looking for a decent low cost powder I can recommend body-building warehouse's own product. It's about £43 for 4 kilo's and mixes/tastes acceptable.
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    You CAN use them as a meal replacement, but you shouldn't (IMO). That's why their called supplements... to supplement a good diet. There's no replacement for real food.
  • JaydeSkye
    JaydeSkye Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I use 1 scoop (34g) of chocolate whey protein for breakfast.

I make a smoothie.

1 cup milk
    1 cup yogurt
    1 cup strawberries
    1 scoop whey protein

That's my breakfast, sometimes my dinner too.

I cook and eat healthy foods, Im just lazy and I like the taste of the protein shakes :)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    1 how much protein powder and water do i use to make a shake ** I use one cup of milk (or sometimes water, but I much prefer milk) and 1 scoop of powder

2 how many shakes should i have per day and when is the best time ** I only have one on the days that I workout. I don't drink them on the other days. My boyfriend makes smoothies with them and drinks them everyday. So, this will depend on you.

3 can i use a shake as a meal replacement ** I suppose you could. I found they didn't keep me nearly as full as a protein bar. So, if I'm looking for a replacement meal - I go with the bar vs the shake.

4 do i only take a shake if im training that day ** Like I said, I only drink them after I workout. This is a personal preference.