Natural low resting heart rate

Options
I was wondering if it’s harder to lose weight when you have low resting heart rate some days it’s 54 and I understand the average is between 60 and 100, I don’t have any medical conditions it’s been like this since I was small I am 5 foot 7 and 15 stone, I’ve been tested for a thyroid problem and they said it’s fine. Any tips apart from exercise and caffeine?

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,459 Member
    Options
    No, it doesn't. If there's no medical condition it just means your heart is very efficient in what it's doing.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,459 Member
    Options
    Some days mine's as low as 45, mostly 50-52. I lost weight fine, 50-some pounds in just less than a year.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,030 Member
    Options
    Yeah, my RHR is 50-60. Lost 80 pounds 15 years ago. I've managed to keep the weight off.

Weight is lost when the right number of calories go in the mouth.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Heart rate does not affect Fatloss.
  • DFW_Tom
    DFW_Tom Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Bradycardia (low heart rate) hasn't bothered my weight loss of 115 lbs over the last 21 months. At my Cardiologist appointment Tuesday it was 42bpm. In December they clocked it at 37bpm. That is a normal range for me (66 y.o.) for whatever reason. They tell me that as long as I'm not getting light headed or fainting to not worry about it and to continue exercising and losing weight.
    Any tips apart from exercise and caffeine?
    Tips for what? Speeding up your heart or losing weight? Don't worry about RHR unless it bothers your normal activities. As for permanent weight loss it boils down to finding a way of eating, that you can sustain indefinitely without distress, that keeps your energy intake less than or equal to your energy expenditure on average.
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Your resting rate will not be a detriment to your ability to loose weight. It comes down to caloric in take and if you choose to offset that more with some form of exercise. You’ve had your thyroid tested and overall you’ve stated your in good health and looks like some weight loss is your goal. First and foremost think of health before weight. You can still be considered overweight depending on how much muscle vs body fat your composed of. I myself am a proponent of exercise. Start a routine you can deal with in your current state. Come up with something that you can conceivably stick with for years or the rest of your life. A goal like a number for loosing pounds is achievable by anyone. Find something that works for you and you see it as simple as brushing your teeth or wiping your back side. So myself I tell you stay from any one particular diet. Read up, talk to nutritionist or better a registered dietitian(don’t take as gospel, but use it as steps to a blueprint to help you create your plan). Keto, fasting, carnivore, etc. etc.. etc.. they’ll get you to a number, but is it something you can see doing the rest of your life. As we get older and our health changes tweaks need to be made. I evaluate and modify slowly based on things I know should be better in both nutrition and exercise.

I’ve had 20 oz of ice tea and 2 cups of fresh ground French pressed coffee this morning…

Current:

9ym104igqaoh.png

I don’t wear my watch while I sleep as the alarm will keep going off and wife will get annoyed.

Todays Avg:

pdfk685s35hu.png

I had all tests done. I actually had heart measured and all is good. It’s just how my ticker works. Others on this thread seem to be in similar position as you are.

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,751 Member
    Options
    @mrmota70
    If you are recently at the end of a prolonged deficit some expectation exists that HR may be lower than if you've been at prolonged maintenance or weight gain. Between prolonged deficit and prolonged slight overage I probably hit a good 16bpm spread around a 63 to 64 maintenance.
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    @mrmota70
    If you are recently at the end of a prolonged deficit some expectation exists that HR may be lower than if you've been at prolonged maintenance or weight gain. Between prolonged deficit and prolonged slight overage I probably hit a good 16bpm spread around a 63 to 64 maintenance.

I’ve pretty much been in maintenance for a year now. I do a lot more cardio than lifting. I stay within + or - 5 lbs of my current weight(179-185). The plan is to do more lifting, but I’m not set on a particular timeline to get there. My resting rate is low. As I stated I had 40 oz of liquid infused with caffeine and I did my WO soon after the consumption and the post above. Today I jogged at a snail pace of 5 mph and managed to do 4.5 miles before I crossed into zone 3. I only crossed into zone 3 for 8 seconds out of the 5.01 miles.
  • BrightEyedAgain
    BrightEyedAgain Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    My natural resting heart rate was right at 53-54 when I first began trying to lose. It wasn't an issue at all. I lost 40 lbs at age 51yrs by counting calories and exercising. (Strength training, rowing, swimming, treadmill)

Now that I'm in better shape, my resting rate often sits at 48. It's no big deal. The only thing I have noticed is that target heart rate zones are too high for me when doing cardio. I can end up dizzy if I don't back off before I hit the top of the standard zone. If you listen to your body, you'll be fine.
  • xrj22
    xrj22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of factors in metabolism, so a slow heart rate MIGHT indicate that you use less than the average number of calories. But whatever your resting metabolism is, it has probably been the same for years and it is normal for you. So, whatever food habit you have gotten into, you will just have eat less and exercise more, and you loose weight. Doesn't change any of the basic principles.
  • MaryFloNS
    MaryFloNS Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this thread. I have had a decreasing heart rate for the last few years, not knowing when it's going to stop. I'm 76, have had the heart monitor and cardiologist telling me there is nothing noteworthy to worry about. I don't have any of the symptoms for bradycardia, so I must be ok. My only problem is when my heart rate goes below 40, I can't get a blood pressure reading, because the monitor won't register. Even with the low HR I have managed to lose close to 100 lbs in the last 2 years.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,028 Member
    Options
    OP, 54 doesn't seem abnormally low to me anyway.