HUGE arms

Options
i have HUGE arms (18 in) and i'm currently at 193 pounds....

they are really flabby, when i hold out my arm the flab is bigger than the part where you can see my arm bone actually is.

i've seen people who weigh much more than i do with much smaller arms and i really really hate them! and my biggest fear of losing weight is that my arms will turn into WINGS!

I know the only way to make my arms smaller is to do cardio, but is there ANYTHING i can do to get this flab to tone up!

Replies

• sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    pushups, planks, tricep dips, weight training will help build muscle which in turn will burn fat. And while you can't spot reduce you can tone and build muscle.
  • TLW77
    TLW77 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You can do strength training to tone up. There is no way to "spot" reduce one certain area but the strength training should help.
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Besides working out and excersising, stop comparing yourself with other people. Its just a waist of time and energy that could be put to better use.
  • miam4nia
    miam4nia Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    one more question,

so if i have huge arms that means it's all genetics, right?

like nothing i did in my life caused myself to get really huge arms that aren't really proportionate to my body?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I don't know of anything you can do to yourself to make your arms huge in that way. I'd have to say that it's probably genetics, the same way that you put more weight on in your hips as opposed to your belly is genetic. Of course, that said, my mom has bigger arms... I'm probably doomed.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's genetic. I've got the same problem with my arms. Doing upper body strength training does seem to be helping (if nothing else, it's filling in the skin with muscle instead of fat) but I think it's the same as those who have loose skin on their bellies or thighs - it just takes some time and patience to let the skin to catch up.

Eating right, exercising, staying hydrated all help too.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Training with weights will help firm up the muscle in the arms so that they carry the skin better. Lifting heavy (4 to 6 reps per set) will help build new muscle tissue to improve the appearance and increase your metabolism, so there is a double payoff there. Building muscle takes a long time but is worth it.

You are dealing with genetics in where your body likes to store the fat. Patience and focus are your best strategy.