Shave or Wax?

Options
alyssamiller77
alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
OK So I know there are other threads that kind of cover this but not really finding the information/opinions I need. I'm male, covered with a fair amount of hair on my legs, chest and arms (not ape looking or anything, I guess about average or a little less than average). I need to remove it all, yes every last bit of body hair that is not on top of my head (I don't keep much there anyway). This will be a one time removal, I'm not looking to stay shaved by any means. So what I'm looking for are opinions on the best way to do this, particularly from any guys on the board who've tried either method or women who have done both and can provide a comparison. I'm looking for opinions on every aspect of it (pain, nicks, ingrown hairs, cost, etc). If you've had success with something other than shaving or waxing please do share that as well.

Replies

• p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    A one time thing? Why?
  • TexasNurseMom78
    TexasNurseMom78 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I say wax for sure. Same question as above though, why?
  • Peanut1026
    Options
    they say once shaved/waxed in grows back twice as much! waxing i think would keep it off longer, but idk, I've never done it.....sounds painful..lol!!!
  • rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    In my experience, trim all of the "bushy" places, then use an electric shaver, then follow up with a regular blade shave.

You can keep ingrown hairs to a minimum if you are sure to moisturize continually.. DONT RUSH THRU THIS... AFter your electric shave, do one section of your body at a time, slowly
  • mattack
    mattack Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    This may be one of the more distrubing posts I have ever seen on MFP.
    Either way, They make a product called Nair for men.
    Smells pretty bad, but its a cream that you can put all over and wait about 5-10 min and then jump in the shower.

Worked pretty good for me once
  • Mark63
    Mark63 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Could be for a marathon. You could use Nair. Although it has a funky smell it does work. Just don't use it on the "nether region" as advised on the tube.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I need to know why you're going to shave your entire body before I can properly comment. I agree with the dude who said to use an electric shaver first, and go at it slowly. But seriously, why are you shaving your body?

P.S. your hair will not grow back thicker or more or anything like that. It's a myth.
  • versuga
    versuga Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Yes, there is a little pain with waxing but it's much nicer than shaving. It doesn't grow back twice as much when you wax...with repeated waxings it actually grows back less. But, for a one time thing, shaving might be easier and way less painful...or use Nair or Veet hair removers.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Shaving when it grows back itches. Waxing hurts but it grows out the best. I've heard sugaring is good but never tried. Good luck
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    If its a one time thing go with the trimmers first then razor..for a one time thing I wouldnt go through the pain of waxing...
  • VLGmom
    VLGmom Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    First thing that popped into my head was Steve Carell getting his chest waxed in 40 yr Old Virgin. I cringe just thinking about that scene. Ouch! I heard an interview with him (maybe with Terry Gross on Fresh Air?) and he was talking about it. He said it was extremely painful but one of the worst parts was the regrowth. I'd vote for the electric razor.
  • sara4cos
    Options
    If it is just a one time deal than I would just shave. As a licensed aesthetician waxing is great but would only recommend if you are wanting to keep the hair gone for 4-6weeks. You can have ingrown hair no matter if you shave or wax. You also have to look at how much you want to spend. Waxing for a full body can cost as much as $150 if you have a professional doing it...would recommend NOT doing it yourself . I you shave make sure you have a brand new and a GOOD Shaver...No cheep disposable ones.
  • alyssamiller77
    Options
    A one time thing? Why?

Halloween. One of my wife's friends and my daughter have convinced me to go as a drag queen. Unfortunately the selected wardrobe doesn't leave much choice but to remove the hair (not that it really bothers me any, with all the body builders that shave I'm actually kind of curious to see how things look). I guess my biggest concerns are centered around getting it all off and how it's going to grow back in. But I'm also definitely interested in anything I might not be thinking of (some which have been brought up here already).
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Wax it!! If you shave, it starts growing back immediately, so unless you do it right before you leave, you'll probably be a stubbly drag queen.

...On second thought, that could actually be pretty funny-- so maybe shaving would be better after all. ;)
  • alyssamiller77
    Options
    First thing that popped into my head was Steve Carell getting his chest waxed in 40 yr Old Virgin. I cringe just thinking about that scene. Ouch! I heard an interview with him (maybe with Terry Gross on Fresh Air?) and he was talking about it. He said it was extremely painful but one of the worst parts was the regrowth. I'd vote for the electric razor.

LOL Yeah thankfully I"m not that hairy :)
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    A one time thing? Why?

Halloween. One of my wife's friends and my daughter have convinced me to go as a drag queen. Unfortunately the selected wardrobe doesn't leave much choice but to remove the hair (not that it really bothers me any, with all the body builders that shave I'm actually kind of curious to see how things look). I guess my biggest concerns are centered around getting it all off and how it's going to grow back in. But I'm also definitely interested in anything I might not be thinking of (some which have been brought up here already).

Wow.. you are dedicated to Halloween. i would just get some tights.
  • GFreg
    GFreg Posts: 404
    Options
    Wax it!! If you shave, it starts growing back immediately, so unless you do it right before you leave, you'll probably be a stubbly drag queen.

...On second thought, that could actually be pretty funny-- so maybe shaving would be better after all. ;)

I vote stubbly drag queen. Plus shaving will be much less painful and not nearly as expensive.
  • alyssamiller77
    Options
    A one time thing? Why?

Wow.. you are dedicated to Halloween. i would just get some tights.

Well my daughter's having fun with it so I'm letting her drive a lot of it. She's loving the idea of going all out on this. She wants to do my makeup, helped pick my wardrobe and has been really getting into it. She's 17 and getting ready to go off to school soon so anything I can do to build some daddy-daughter time before then is worth it to me (even if it means some uncomfortable moments) :)
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I second the vote on the stubbly drag queen.