PCOS & Percentages

Options
So I've scrolled through Google trying to figure this out but I'm at a loss. I literally have no idea.

I've been trying for a baby for over 12 months now and have PCOS so I'm looking at starting to manage the symptoms with diet in the hopes it helps.

So... I weigh 233lbs 😫 embarrassing I know and I'm going to start off with calories of 1750 per day but I just don't know what to put the percentages of protein/net carbs/fat etc at.

Can anyone help? I'm desperate to conceive and I have no idea what I'm doing diet wise, which is apparent when you see the grotesque weight I've landed at.

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,923 Member
    Options
    Try something in the low carb ballpark. Once you start looking online you'll see it's helped a lot of people with PCOS, imo. Cheers
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 750 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    I would start by focusing on calories only. Get used to weighing and logging your food accurately until it becomes a habit. Once you feel super confident and have tracked your progress you can add another change such as increasing your activity, making bigger tweaks to your diet (now that you know what satiates you, what you like, and what you can do without), or starting a hobby that will benefit your quality of life. Sometimes we get bogged down with too many changes at the beginning and it becomes overwhelming and too complicated to adhere to, so 1 big change at a time isn’t a bad idea.

That being said, do some research on the best “diet” (or way of eating) for PCOS, maybe get a recommendation for a dietician from your Doctor, from what people say reducing your carbs may be beneficial. Try the recommended carb ratio for PCOS and try incorporating that into your normal way of eating so you don’t feel completely deprived and overwhelmed. Most people don’t need to worry about macros too much unless they have a medical condition or completely alienate a macro like protein or fat and need to make sure they’re getting it in.

Here’s a resource to get you started:
    https://www.contemporaryobgyn.net/view/pcos-and-diet

Interesting excerpt:

In my experience, there is no one level that will work for all women. Dr. Walter Futterweit, clinical professor of the Division of Endocrinology of the Mount Sinai School of Medicine, has been working with women with PCOS for 25 years. He suggests that non-obese women with PCOS who get regular periods eat a balanced diet, moderate - not excessive intakes of carbohydrates (approximately 50% of calories), and select complex unrefined carbohydrates over refined carbohydrates. An obese insulin resistant woman should consume a diet that is 40 % carbohydrates or less, depending upon the degree of insulin resistance. These are only guidelines – the diet should be tailored to fit the individual person. I would suggest starting with a diet that is 40 % carbohydrates and work your way downward if need be. Some subjective indicators that the diet is "working" are: decreased cravings and increased energy levels. Some objective measures that the diet may be working are: weight loss, decreased insulin levels, regular periods. Clearly, this is an area that needs to be researched.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    So I've scrolled through Google trying to figure this out but I'm at a loss. I literally have no idea.

I've been trying for a baby for over 12 months now and have PCOS so I'm looking at starting to manage the symptoms with diet in the hopes it helps.

So... I weigh 233lbs 😫 embarrassing I know and I'm going to start off with calories of 1750 per day but I just don't know what to put the percentages of protein/net carbs/fat etc at.

Can anyone help? I'm desperate to conceive and I have no idea what I'm doing diet wise, which is apparent when you see the grotesque weight I've landed at.

Hi! Welcome to MFP!

If you are just beginning your journey, I would not worry about your percentages. MFP will give you a basic goal (50C/30F/20P I believe?) but its not necessary for weight loss. You just want to focus on Calories In/Calories Out (CICO). The percentages do not effect your weight loss (keto people not withstanding).

Start by weighing and measuring everything you put in your mouth. Any drinks, crumbs, pieces, random bites, meals, you name it. Do not eyeball, guestimate, use an entry in MFP that looks close (they are notoriously WRONG), or any other form of logging that does not involve you personally ensuring its right. Once you start to put entries in, you build a few recipes and meals in your logging history, it becomes A LOT easier. But almost every person that starts here and comes back with an "I Can't Seem To Lose Weight" post is not measuring, weighing, and logging accurately. It's the key that makes this whole system work.

Once you get going, and you want to maybe start exercising, building muscle, or want to up protein to help keep you fuller, etc., you can play with your percentages.

It's slow, and it takes work (especially in the beginning) but if you stick with it, are honest and diligent in your logging, you WILL see results. It's slow, and it's not always linear (some weeks you'll lose weight, some weeks you won't, even though you did the same things each week), but its worth it in the long run!

Good luck! There are some very smart and experienced people here who will help you along the way! Keep us updated on your journey, too!