Sitting exercising

Options
Do sitting exercises truly help you to lose weight and or tone up? I'm following a lady on TikTok that sits in a chair to do exercises. I need low impact but useful workouts right now.

Can anyone share your experiences.

Replies

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    They’re good for people that can’t exercise any other way. They will not cause weightloss as that is done through diet.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    All my exercise is low to no impact, and I would be hangry without my exercise calories, but I also need to really focus on how much I'm eating.

I've done chair exercises while doing seated volunteer work, and during meetings where my camera was off, but never counted the calories.

Since your only qualifier was "low impact," I'm going to assume that you have the use of your legs else you would have mentioned otherwise. A far more effective way to exercise would be walking.

https://www.everydayhealth.com/fitness/low-impact-workouts/guide/

...Walking qualifies as a low-impact exercise, but cycling, rowing, and elliptical training are also low-impact exercises, because your feet never leave the pedals, Milton says.

Many forms of resistance training are also considered low-impact, including barre, Pilates, yoga, and weight lifting, Dr. Walker notes.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    When I hurt my back about 10+ years ago I used a big old stability ball to do exercises on as a kind of homemade rehab program, but I wouldn't say it was real "exercise". Walking is probably the easiest way to actually create a calorie burn with the lowest impact. Swimming is also REALLY good, no impact, full body workout.

Chair exercises are good in the absence of ANY activity, but your weight loss will come from your diet and calorie deficit, not the exercises.