General Office Workers needed to Workout

Options
I want to know everybody's opinion and thoughts on what would be great daily workouts to do for us who have typical office jobs who sit in front of computers for 8 hours a day. I noticed I had gained like 10 lbs in the past year just working! Its horrible..Give me some ideas and share with others! Thanks!

Replies

• missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I go out for a walk every lunch time. I usually walk quickly for about 20-25 minutes, just around the university campus that I work at. It's a nice break from the desk AND it's a good workout.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I switched out my office chair for an exercise ball.
    It makes filing fun!
    No but seriously, I can feel my core tightening up. 8 hours bouncing around on this thing must surely be burning *some* calories.

Asides from that though, I try to sneak off to the gym once a week, and I just got some new equipment for at home, so I plan on hopping around on everything after dinner time every night.
  • kjade84
    Options
    Thanks for your ideas! I think I will go walk on my two 15 minute breaks around the park we are by. :)
  • losemybabyweight
    losemybabyweight Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Think about adjusting your workstation to "standing workstation" You can buy them OR just rig one up yourself. I do it at my office!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    cardio and strength training, before or after you go to work.
  • kjade84
    Options
    Nice, I should ask my supervisor if they would allow me to get a exercise ball for my desk? I have not seen any others using one, but I heard it is good for you!
  • kjade84
    Options

Thank you
  • sweetiepie31612
    sweetiepie31612 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I go out for a walk every lunch time. I usually walk quickly for about 20-25 minutes, just around the university campus that I work at. It's a nice break from the desk AND it's a good workout.

Ditto! It also helps relieve some stress which makes sitting back down at the desk for 4 more hours a bit more bearable. Also, I have a 24 oz water bottle I keep at my desk and make sure to fill 3 times through out the day. Btwn getting up to refil and getting up to go to the potty...it keeps me on my feet.
  • erzille
    erzille Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I sit in front of a computer all day too...I try to workout at night....mornings are rough for me. There are some girls at work that have brought in some handweights to do during the day. If you google" desk workouts"...there are workouts that you can do at your desk. I will post a couple of links tomorrow for you. I am off today, but I have them saved on my favorites at work.:happy:
  • Stefeni74
    Options
    My co-workers & I use Leslie Sansone Walk @ Home DVD's. We can do them in our conference room or in our office. We both have lost 30+ pounds doing so since the end of June.

Good Luck!!!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

This is what I do. I also have the key to the supply closet (which used to be an office) and I sneak in there, lock the door, and do push ups/crunches/lunges at random throughout the day.
  • kjade84
    Options
    Think about adjusting your workstation to "standing workstation" You can buy them OR just rig one up yourself. I do it at my office!

I wish I could do that at my office, but we have so little room for changes its kind of upsetting. :) Thanks for your idea!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    If you have them, try walking up and down the stairs in your building when you enter and exit.
  • kjade84
    Options
    My co-workers & I use Leslie Sansone Walk @ Home DVD's. We can do them in our conference room or in our office. We both have lost 30+ pounds doing so since the end of June.

Good Luck!!!

Wow! Good job! Do you have a dvd player in your conference room that you guys watch while you walk? Have you changed any dieting habits to help you lose the weight also? :)
  • kjade84
    Options
    If you have them, try walking up and down the stairs in your building when you enter and exit.

Yes we have four flights of stairs, I have taken them periodically, but for the most part I've used the elevator. Maybe Ill change that habit! :)
  • kjade84
    Options
    I sit in front of a computer all day too...I try to workout at night....mornings are rough for me. There are some girls at work that have brought in some handweights to do during the day. If you google" desk workouts"...there are workouts that you can do at your desk. I will post a couple of links tomorrow for you. I am off today, but I have them saved on my favorites at work.:happy:

Thank you for your support! I will look forward to your favorite workouts! Good luck on your goals!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Big thing is you just have to make it happen. If you can't fit it in, you don't want it hard enough.
  • kjade84
    Options
    Big thing is you just have to make it happen. If you can't fit it in, you don't want it hard enough.

Great quote! Thanks!
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

This is what I do. I also have the key to the supply closet (which used to be an office) and I sneak in there, lock the door, and do push ups/crunches/lunges at random throughout the day.

so... you go into the supply closet at random times... alone... and come out panting and a little sweaty. babe, this is how rumors get started! :laugh:

srsly though, to the OP, i also go to the gym in the morning before work - and i'm loving it!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

so... you go into the supply closet at random times... alone... and come out panting and a little sweaty. babe, this is how rumors get started! :laugh:

srsly though, to the OP, i also go to the gym in the morning before work - and i'm loving it!

I have to make sure the rumors get started somehow!