Low carb and maintenance

Options
fteale
fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
Is anyone here still low carbing even though they are not aiming for weight loss? Is there any advantage to it? I usually hit about 100-120g carbs a day, so middling. I don't want to lose weight and do a lot of running. Would I benefit from eating more carbs, or less?

I suppose I am wondering if low carb is just for weight loss, or for life.

Replies

• lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I would think you could increase your carbs a little since you run. You usually need carbs to burn while running. I usually eat no more than 200 carbs a day. I work out almost every day, doing Insanity, spinning and other dvd workouts. I am 5' 5" too and at about 145. I am pretty happy here....I also eat between 1400 to 1800 cal a day, depending on the day. I would increase your carbs a little.....but not too much. Don't go more than 200 g a day.....just my opinion!
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    What I can say right now is that I was eating that many carbs as part of my pre-contest diet back in those days. I needed to keep the subcutaneous fat off my muscles in order for them to shine during judging. But my body was also in a weakened state due to the lack of carbohydrates for fuel. It was painful :(
  • alaw1119
    alaw1119 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on where you're getting your carbs from. I eat a lot of carbs but they all come from fruits, veggies and whole grain so I don't worry about them.
  • mmuzzy1068
    Options
    I just say be careful, you know your body best. If you feel like you need more to keep up your running or workouts, then go ahead and take some more in but I know for me I have to stay at 140 cbs or less due to the way my body handles them. I have to work out like a fiend and run or do crazy cardio to not have it affect me. I have always been very athletic and then when getting a very demanding office job that requires tons of meetings and very little downtime, it all caught up with me. I have done it in the past (getting to 132) but now I am back at 145 and need to get to 130 (just cuz I like how I look at that weight). I am only 5' 3" and tend to gain in the hip region. I was blessed with a butt too (way before J Lo---hahahaa) but when you gain in this region, shopping for clothes when you have relapses is not fun. Just be careful and what is your secret to losing your weight since you are where I want to be. I have a great workout program and then as long as I stick to my cardio (running, elipticals, etc) I am ok. It is just getting myself away from work, that is the challenge!!! :)
  • mmuzzy1068
    Options
    I think it depends on where you're getting your carbs from. I eat a lot of carbs but they all come from fruits, veggies and whole grain so I don't worry about them.

This is good info as well, just do what works for you.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    This is good advice. I definitely plan on limiting my carb intake to around 100 grams per day once I hit maintenance. In other words, I'll be getting them from veggies, fruits and a limited amount of grains. I've found that I can eat 1200 calories per day and, without limiting carbs, I will still gain weight so I need to limit them to lose or maintain.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Is anyone here still low carbing even though they are not aiming for weight loss? Is there any advantage to it? I usually hit about 100-120g carbs a day, so middling. I don't want to lose weight and do a lot of running. Would I benefit from eating more carbs, or less?

I suppose I am wondering if low carb is just for weight loss, or for life.

Low Carb is for weight loss and for life. It is a lifestyle, not a short term "diet".............
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

Agree. And Rye is just as bad as wheat!!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options

Agree. And Rye is just as bad as wheat!!

It is? I sometimes have rye bread instead, so that's interesting to know.