Marathon Training Any Good Work out Plans?

Options
I am considering running a marathon in December or Early Next year. Anyone know any good running training programs to get to that level. I am currently running 30 to 40 miles a week but cant seem to reach that 26th mile. Thanks in Advance.

Replies

• hurton
    hurton Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    look up hal higdon
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Can't say whether they're good, but Active.com is a great site that I can't believe the training would not also be great.

Different ones to choose from and preview, and relatively low cost.
    http://www.activetrainer.com/marathon-training-schedule
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    There's tons of free training programs out there; Hal Higdon is a popular one, the SMART Coach on Runnersworld.com is good also. You input your current mileage, when your race is, and it gives you a schedule till race day.
  • alexkoenen
    Options
    I really appreciate the help these websites will help me big time thanks. Hopefully i can do it!
  • Kilter
    Kilter Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    You can do it, it's all just a question of training.

Good luck with your training.

Which marathon are you thinking of doing?

S
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Hal Higdon, as his training programs are friendly for new runners.
  • alexkoenen
    Options
    I am thinking of running in the cowtown marathon in Fort Worth, TX or the white rock marathon in Dallas in December.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I looked at the training plans from HH and on Runner's World and decided to go with RW for the half and the marathon.

HH is an excellent source — I've read one of his books and loved it. The reason that I didn't follow his training plan was that he has folks run X hours and minutes vs the RW plans that have you run X miles. My preference is to use a mileage based approach.

If I might suggest, pick up a few books about running the marathon. From memory, Marathoning for Mortals is a fun quick read and HH's book is good. I also learned a lot from RW's book called "Road Racing", IIRC. You can pick them up at Amazon for a good price (I buy them used and they're very inexpensive).

Enjoy the miles!
  • Minnesnowtagurl
    Minnesnowtagurl Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Bump! I have a 5K coming up on Halloween