The new kid in class...

Options
Hi, I'm the new kid in class. I'm Stacey. I'm 27 and always have been over weight on the eyes of my doctors and peers. I love my curves, but lately there are too many me to love all at once. I like to give them as much attention as possible. If there were fewer curves I could love them each more. I am a thyroid cancer survivor and have no thyroid left. I take medicine daily for thyroid hormones, calcium and vitamin D in order to help my body absorb the calcium. And... dramatic pause... I need to lose weight.
I bought a few biggest loser cook books and my boyfriend and I will be picking a meal a week to experiment with. I am also making a few healthy swaps in my day; including being accountable to my choices- no soda, no extra fried things in my life, EATING before noon rolls around each day. Not eating after the sun goes to bed.
I've done this whole "dieting" thing a number of times and find it to be scary and punishing and sad. Who want to live without potatoes and sour cream? Not me. Who wants to eat all day every day in teeny tiny portions... not me. Who has the time? Not me! But, who needs to be healthier and lose weight? ME! So- here I go. I'm looking at this as a life change, and not a short term change that I can see an END in sight.
If you were able to tell yourself ONE thing that best helped you and you could have told yourself years ago and didn't have to waste time trying to figure it out, what would that be? (Yes, I'm cheating. I'm using your life experiences to help shape mine!)
Thanks for the help ahead of time. And, if you're reading this you're in the fight as well, so Good Luck to you!

Stacey

Replies

• mrskaylaforthewin
    Options
    :) hii and welcome!!! that is awesome you are a cancer survivor!!!!!! im so happy for you!!! i am here for you if you need me..i have alot of weight to lose myself!!!!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I ended up in the hospital. They don't serve potatoes and sour cream. And that was after 3 significant attempts to diet while eating what I wanted. The one thing, a lifestyle change. Good luck with the hard work ahead.
  • skylinekt
    Options
    Welcome! And be honest with your food journal!! Don't only log the good parts. If you bite it, write it! Good luck!!
  • sujiwig
    sujiwig Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Think about what you just wrote ... You have won your biggest battle!!! Losing weight is going to happen for you because you can do anything.

I have lost 70 lbs and need to lose more still. My trick is really no trick at all. I count calories. I don't count points, or carbs, or fat, etc., etc., just calories.

This means you can have a potato with sour cream if you want. Just count the calories. Consider using low fat sour cream too.

I use this website to help me count calories and it is awesome! I also go to the gym 5 times a week which also has helped me greatly.

Good luck to you, you sound like you have a wonderful attitude (which is half the battle).
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    If you were able to tell yourself ONE thing that best helped you and you could have told yourself years ago and didn't have to waste time trying to figure it out, what would that be? (Yes, I'm cheating. I'm using your life experiences to help shape mine!)
    Thanks for the help ahead of time. And, if you're reading this you're in the fight as well, so Good Luck to you!

Stacey

Hey Stacey - welcome! First off - congrats on being a survivor :) I have hyperthyroidism, so while I can't possibly understand all you went through with cancer, I do know what it feels like to try to diet and manage thyroid levels. Bleh.

You should use everyone else's experiences to help shape yours - that's part of what having support is for! :)

Now to answer your question - the first thing off the top of my head is: it's okay to love yourself, and fighting for your health is a big part of this. The other thing is - get your *kitten* to the gym (street, bike trail, dojo, pool, whatever) even when you don't feel like it (unless you're sick).

Good luck!
    - Kristin
  • SingSmileLaugh
    Options
    Thanks to all who have posted so far and answered my questions! Low Fat sour cream is already in the fridge and I will count the calories of having them when I do have them, I won't forget to fill out the food journal.

Consider being my friend so I have your progress to push mine!
    Stacey
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    As a survivor, you prove that you CAN do this!
    If there is anything I can do to help support, just ask. Feel free to add me

And just remember...YOU are amazing, CAN, and WILL ACHIEVE!
  • treesha450
    treesha450 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure there was one specific thing, I just got tired of being fat, I've been thin most of my life, then got big, then got thin again, then I got really thin (in a very unhealthy way) then I got big then bigger.
    Finally enough was enough. I decided to change my lifestyle (sorry, sounds so cliche) but I was seriously sick of it. I started exercising everyday, I started out slow, walking my dog, then walking to and from work walking everywhere .
    I changed my eating habits, no more deep fried stuff smothered in ranch. I don't completely deprive myself either, I had a corn dog and roasted corn at the fair last week, last year at the fair I had that plus funnel cake-elephant ears and scones.
    I am a bartender and alcohol is a part of my life. I enjoy beer, good beer- all the delicious fall and winter beers are coming and I will have to exercise great self control. I now drink Michelob ultra (although-somewhat offensive to my palate) I will allow myself a Pyramid Snow Cap ale this winter but only one, not 3-4 a night.
    I feel my biggest and most helpful tool is this web site. I have found it so helpful, I love being able to track my calories and exercise. Please add me as a friend if you want. It is more fun losing weight with friends.
  • GFreg
    GFreg Posts: 404
    Options
    Hi Stacey! Glad to have you on board. Firstly let me say congratulations on beating cancer. There are plenty of very helpful, motivating people here on the message boards. Good job implementing a healthier meal once a week. You definitely are taking the right approach to this. It is a marathon and not a sprint and changing your lifestyle to a healthier one is key to being successful.

I think that you will notice if you begin to track your calories that you can eat the things that you like to eat and still lose weight. Implement protein and don't be afraid of some fat but know what kind of fat you are eating. Fatty fish(salmon), olive oil, almonds are all great foods for you and have good fat. Protein and fat will fill you up and you won't be as hungry throughout the day.

You can reach your weight loss goals and we are here to help. You beat cancer, you can do this too. Good luck!
  • SingSmileLaugh
    Options
    Thanks all for reading and replying- As Annie sang "I think I'm gonna like it here!"
  • SingSmileLaugh
    Options
    Any other helpful hints for the new kid in class??:flowerforyou: you can have this nifty flower if you send a message! :)