Losing weight making you look older? :/

Options
I am wondering if anyone else is suffering from this phenomenon...

As thrilled as I am to have turned my life around, improved my health and wellness, lost the excess weight that I had put on the last couple years... it is undeniable that one of the side effects is that I now look older in the face :/

Crows feet, forehead lines, little "bruce willis lines" around my mouth... I did not have these 2 1/2 years ago when I was last slender LOL. It seems that was has been great for my body has exposed the aging in my face.

I enjoy the more rugged, chiseled look of my face, my jawline, etc... But at the same time I ALSO enjoyed the fact that the extra bit of plump I was carrying around previously was making me look younger! :/

I just hit 30 last month, and to reward myself for my weight loss, I think I am gonna get a sugardaddy to buy me some Botox and Juvaderm, LOL :P

Replies

• mcdonl
    mcdonl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    LOL - On the ride to a soccer game Saturday my wife and kids were teasing me because the lines on my forehead.

So, yeah... Your not alone!!
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    lol 30 is not old =P do you tan? Tanning is the quickest way to turn your face into a leather bag. I'm 34 and just now starting to see some lines near my eyes but it's nothing major.

I have noticed as I lost 20 lbs over the summer that my face does look older but... time marches on.
  • speakz82
    Options
    Actually the opposite. I'm turning 29 in December, and when I bought wine the other night they scrutinized my driver's license and told me I look like I'm barely 21. While appreciated, I didn't appreciate the cashiers pissy attitude toward me. Just get yourself some botox, I fully intend on getting my first injection on my 30th birthday so I can keep that youthful look going.

From your profile picture though? You look your age, and very healthy.
  • trickyday
    Options
    You're not alone there! I have noticed that my eyes look more "tired" and I too am developing little lines around my mouth. Bummer!
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. Over all I look (and definitely feel) younger, with a slimmer body, but my face definitely has more lines. Oh well, I guess I've earned them.

I wouldn't go back to having a face that is shaped like a dinner plate, though!
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I could only hope. Seriously I am almost 26 and still look 14. If losing weight adds on a few years I will be ok with that.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I kind of feel that way too. Like the fat filled in the wrinkles. Now my face is kind of gaunt.
  • LaurieEReid
    Options
    That may be noticable in your face but many people here have noted that, since people usually put a few pounds on as they get older, losing a few overall makes people assume that you're younger. Hope you find this too!
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Getting older is making you look older.
  • punkrawkcutie
    punkrawkcutie Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    try using a firming moisturiser for your face.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

Damn it!
  • rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Auticus I did quit tanning back in May, I had been an addict for two years :( I know that was a huge contributor, so hopefully that will help me in the long run. Plus I have a skin care routine which I "was" doing but kinda got lazy with, so I plan to start back.

And thank you speakz :) I know that in the long run being as healthy as possible will only improve my appearance overall. As I progress into my 30's and beyond my newfound love of fitness and nutrition will keep me youthful. I just have to deal with the shock at this moment lol
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Depending on the amount of weight lost and your age it will make you look older. I am not going too thin because i find that my face is losing the plumpness it once had when i was younger. But i found after i turned 30 i got older. I didnt age from 21 to 29 and then bam! Although after dropping 18lbs his year i look younger again.
  • DoncasterPhotography
    Options
    "snip" I look like I'm barely 21. *snip* Just get yourself some botox, I fully intend on getting my first injection on my 30th birthday so I can keep that youthful look going.

So at 29 you look 21, but you're already looking forward to getting botox in a lottle over 12 months? wow..
  • kcgslp
    kcgslp Posts: 212
    Options
    Don't forget your water!!!! Drink, Drink, Drink..... it does wonders for your skin
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Depending on the amount of weight lost and your age it will make you look older. I am not going too thin because i find that my face is losing the plumpness it once had when i was younger. But i found after i turned 30 i got older. I didnt age from 21 to 29 and then bam! Although after dropping 18lbs his year i look younger again.

This. when I *first* started losing weight, I was 29-30. I was frequently told I look to be in my early 20s. After I lost the weight, I maintained that for a year or so until I got further into my 30s. Now I get the "mid-late 20s". Like Chantal, I'm not going to go too thin for the same reason. A little fat between the skin and bone makes us look youthful.
  • shawnscott5
    shawnscott5 Posts: 295 Member
    Options

True story! It's like asking if these jeans makes my butt look big. No, your butt makes your butt look big. No frets, age gracefully. Besides, for men they become distinguished...I'm pushing 40 and I don't call them wrinkles. They are laugh lines because I am so darned happy!!
  • Laura32412
    Options
    lol 30 is not old =P do you tan? Tanning is the quickest way to turn your face into a leather bag. I'm 34 and just now starting to see some lines near my eyes but it's nothing major.

I have noticed as I lost 20 lbs over the summer that my face does look older but... time marches on.

"Honey, time marches on and eventually you realize it is marchin' across your face." - Steel Magnolias

I can't say I've ever had this problem, but then again I just started looking my age at 28. My mother gets mistaken for 10 years younger as well, but she always says it's because the fat hides the wrinkles. I agree with the tanning, I've always been crazy about sunscreen since I'm fair-skinned and burn easily. Try a new moisturizer also, keeping your skin hydrated can do wonders for hiding wrinkles!