Really need some support!

Options
I got onto this site, lost 4 lbs and then fell off the wagon. Well, not exactly fell, but dove headfirst in an act of self-sabotage. No good. I think this go around I'll need to be more involved in more challenges and make more friends in the community, especially experienced ones who've had success with this site. Any tips or suggestions as to how I can be more successful this time?

Replies

• lwdllc
    lwdllc Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    This site is a GREAT tool - I had a lot of success is the Beck Diet Solution, by Judith Beck, It is a book that will teach you how to deal with that self saboteur. It is a 6 week long program that teaches you HOW to diet, I lost 60 lbs 4 years ago, and because of the habit changes from the book, kept it off and lost an additional 10 lbs over the next year. Now I am using MFP to finish the job and get the last 15 lbs off.

good luck!!!!!
  • davidpm
    davidpm Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I got onto this site, lost 4 lbs and then fell off the wagon. Well, not exactly fell, but dove headfirst in an act of self-sabotage. No good. I think this go around I'll need to be more involved in more challenges and make more friends in the community, especially experienced ones who've had success with this site. Any tips or suggestions as to how I can be more successful this time?

I found coming on here and logging to be really tedious and annoying when I first started and started and stopped twice before this recent streak of over 40 days logging. For me, it was committing myself to doing it for one month. The first few days, it was just about sticking to that commitment. After a couple of weeks, it just becomes a habit and you do it.

Commit yourself to an attainable goal. Even if it's 7 days or 10 days and promise yourself that you're going to log EVERYTHING.
  • naphia
    naphia Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks, both!
  • naphia
    naphia Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks, both!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    One thing that helps me recover from a really bad day is logging it. Like yesterday, I was almost 1,000 calories over my goal even though I worked out. This isn't normal for me, but I went to a baby shower and indulged in wine, quiche and cake. But no big deal because not every day is a baby shower and I'll work hard to get back on track today. The biggest thing for me is not letting a bad day spiral out of control.

I also find that working out it great for my mental health and really helps avoid the mood swings that make me vulnerable to overeating.
  • Laura32412
    Options
    I agree about the first few days being tedious. This is my 3rd try with MFP and I'm determined to make it work for me. I not only log everything here, but I keep a small notebook in my purse to write down everything I eat and drink so if I'm logging at the end of the day I won't forget anything.

I've also added a lot of friends to keep me motivated. I don't want people thinking I'm not doing enough so I complete my workouts and post them and make sure my eating is healthy (except for the occasional fall of the wagon meal). It's nice to log on and see other's statuses show up on my wall. I want to be the person that's met my goal weight!

You can do it, it's just a matter of sticking to it. And the more involved you get in terms of friends, blogs, posts, etc. the more you'll look forward to logging in!
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I try to plan my meals for the week ahead of time. I usually sit down for an hour on Saturday and plan my meals for the upcoming week and put my shopping list together at the same time. This helps me to make sure I have what I need to eat healthy food as well as keeps me from spontaneously putting junk in my cart at the store.

As far as logging in, I try to log all of my meals/snacks into the system at lunch. Since I've planned my meals, I know what I am going to eat for afternoon snack and dinner. Logging the entire day before it's actually done helps me to know where I stand in terms of calorie counts and whether I need to modify my plan at all ie. workout when I get home, cut out a snack, and/or add a treat because I got in a fabulous workout in the morning :)

Also, the more active friends you have the better you will be... if you have friends that don't log on regularly, they won't give you any support.

Feel free to friend me.
  • andy13
    andy13 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    This is my second time round to! And for me the logging is a big pain in the *kitten*, but when you consider what you would have to do on some of the other diets it defiantly the lesser of a lot of evils, like just imagine what those poor atkins people are going through with all that steak, bacon and cheeeessseeeeee mmmmmmmmmmmmm cheese