NCL Cruise in Under Three Weeks ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

Options
I'm new to this and still amazed in the foods I thought would be low calorie turn out to be quite high.

We're off on a cruise soon and would welcome any advice as to best options for breakfast, lunch and dinner please.

Obviously, don't eat is probably the only way not to gain weight for the ten days.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    You'll inevitably gain weight on a cruise. Try to stick to vegetables as the majority of your intake. And all cruise lines have a gym on board. Every one I went on, I worked out at least an hour a day at 6am.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,341 Member
    Options
    Well, I've never done a cruise, but what I do on holiday:
    - breakfast buffet: fill up on fruit and vegetables, try to opt for lean protein if available. Use a small plate if there is a choice between larger and smaller plates. And most of all: if something isn't very good, don't force yourself to finish it!
    - I skip lunch
    - dinner: opt for a regular restaurant instead of a buffet, if available. One main course and dessert only 1 night out of two (or shared with someone else). For dinner buffets, team up with whoever you're travelling with to have a tiny portion of everything to try. And then go back for whatever is truly good.

I don't always go for the sensible option (they're holidays after all) but I do keep in mind to stear clear of the most fatty foods. And I focus on water or low calorie beverages and only exceptionally an alcoholic beverage (liquid calories add up very quickly).

And keep moving!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,843 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    I'm new to this and still amazed in the foods I thought would be low calorie turn out to be quite high.

We're off on a cruise soon and would welcome any advice as to best options for breakfast, lunch and dinner please.

Obviously, don't eat is probably the only way not to gain weight for the ten days.

Maybe you already know this, but in case not: Even if you eat sensibly, you may see your scale weight be higher after the trip. Even if within calories, just eating in a little different style (relatively more carbs, relatively more sodium, etc. - even if still reasonable amounts) can add water weight. On top of that, unaccustomed activity of any type can add water weight, and so can a lot of travel modes (flying, long car/bus rides, etc.).

So, don't panic if you come home and the scale is up some pounds. Just get back on your pre-trip healthy routine, and give it a couple of weeks-ish. (If it applies for you, it could take a whole menstrual cycle for things to sort themselves out on the scale.) Water weight will normalize, and any multi-pound jump is more than likely water weight.

To gain 10 pounds of fat in 10 days, you'd have to average 3500 calories above your maintenance calories every day of the trip (not just above your goal calories) . . . that's a lot, unlikely to happen unless you go super-wild. Being up 10 pounds of water retention immediately post trip can be pretty easy, with the right combination of factors. (Less than 10 pounds would be more likely, but 10+ is possible.)

On any vacation where food is a feature, I would usually indulge somewhat when there are really special foods/food experiences on offer, but try to moderate in other ways.

Context matters, too: Being more active makes a difference. A common vacation in my past was rowing camps of up to a week long. When rowing (boats) as much as 4-5 hours a day, and walking lots in between, I can eat pretty freely and still maintain weight.

I'm not arguing that you should work out frantically, but thinking in terms of fun activity is part of achieving vacation balance, too. IMO, not all fun stuff is sedentary, and even mild activity like site-seeing, some swimming, or (if on land sometimes) a little hiking or touring of gardens or historic sites, etc. - that adds up.

Have fun!
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I second niner. Working out on the ship before any day excursions is absolutely doable. It kept my weight gain within a manageable amount. Also, sign up for excursions with physical activity.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,843 Member
    Options
    BTW: You're going on vacation, a vacation that sounds pretty wonderful and fortunate. Is ๐Ÿ˜ฑ the ideal reaction?

Also: "Obviously, don't eat is probably the only way not to gain weight for the ten days." . . . is obviously incorrect.

Don't catastrophize. Plan to have fun, OK? ;)
  • PeachHibiscus
    PeachHibiscus Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Honestly? Just plan to enjoy your vacation. There are so many food options available that you'll be able to make lower calorie choices if you wish. And if you don't wish to do that? Don't chastise yourself. Just get back on track when you return. And you'll have some great memories.

I hope you have the most amazing trip!
  • pony4us
    pony4us Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    We used to cruise quite a bit and on longer cruises. Enjoy yourself and realize that your scale will show some gain when you return. Cruise food is usually loaded with salt, especially the mainstream lines. Funny, the only time I ever used any gym was on transAtlantics, because there were a ton of sea days, port days are filled with activity. Enjoy your vacay and plan to dance the night away!!!
    I'm going to sound like a snobby foodie but I found that cruise food was like a wedding banquet, not something that I had to have (the bread pudding on HAL being the exception)