Muscle weighing more than Fat

Options
I hear people say this all the time and want to hear your thoughts.

"Muscle weighs more than fat" - is often times the excuse people have when starting to workout regularly and the scale not responding.

My thought is this - it's like the old joke, "What weighs more a lb. of feathers or a lb. of rocks - they weigh the same a lb.".

Although the feathers take up more space than the rocks they both weigh the same - 1 lb.

The statistic I like is that a lb. of fat only burns about 10 calories and a lb. of muscle burns about 50 calories.

Replies

• davidpm
    davidpm Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    This is more semantics then anything. Muscle is more DENSE then fat, so if you had the same volume of each, the muscle would weigh more.

It is true that if you burn the same VOLUME of fat as you gain in muscle, the scale will read more.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    The old joke, is just that. No one seriously believes 1 lb of anything weighs anything other than a lb.

But if you are the same *size* and have more muscle mass and less body fat, you will weigh more. All other things being equal.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Most people just leave out "by volume". Muscle weighs more than fat by volume. Or "muscle is more dense than fat" or "one pound of muscle takes up less space than one pound of fat". Whichever works for you.
  • andyloosbrock
    andyloosbrock Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    50 lbs of muscles weighs more than 50 lbs of fat...

...the same way that...

50 lbs. of bricks weighs more than 50 lbs. of feathers.
  • Donna_T_B
    Donna_T_B Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Also, women are not (usually) genetically equipped to pack on a significant amount of weight due to muscle in the first few weeks of working out.

Usually an initial weight gain seen after a newbie starts working out is due to muscles holding onto water in order to repair themselves.
  • MThurs
    MThurs Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    This is more semantics then anything. Muscle is more DENSE then fat, so if you had the same volume of each, the muscle would weigh more.

It is true that if you burn the same VOLUME of fat as you gain in muscle, the scale will read more.

That is exactly my point - but I do laugh when I hear people who begin workout programs then comment on how they've "gained weight because muscle weighs more than fat".

I am a firm believer in measuring your body in addition to monitoring your progress by a scale. I have a personal training client that is visibly smaller but her scale still reads the same - she would feel more successful if she had her measurements to see her progress.
  • MThurs
    Options
    50 lbs of muscles weighs more than 50 lbs of fat...

...the same way that...

50 lbs. of bricks weighs more than 50 lbs. of feathers.

50lbs is 50lbs - equal - volume/mass are different but 50lbs is 50lbs.
  • MThurs
    Options
    Most people just leave out "by volume". Muscle weighs more than fat by volume. Or "muscle is more dense than fat" or "one pound of muscle takes up less space than one pound of fat". Whichever works for you.

Like :-)
  • chrismromero
    chrismromero Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    LOL 50 pounds is 50 pounds. Fat or muscle. IT'S 50 POUNDS.

If you weigh 200 pounds but are more muscle than fat, you'd be *thinner* than a 200 pound person who's more fat than muscle, cause muscle is more compact than fat.

Fat is BIG muscle is SLIM.

BUT YOU'D STILL BOTH WEIGH 200 POUNDS REGARDLESS.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I've heard that 1lb of rice weighs more than 1lb of feathers and a 10lb ream of paper weighs less than a 10lb dumbell....but that could be because a ream of paper is usually 5lbs....
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    It's too bad people don't see how much more relevant density and volume are than weight.

Here's a hint; if you aren't becoming less 'volumous' over time as you eat right and exercise, you're doing it wrong.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    What is worth more, 1 single $100 bill, or 100 $1 bills?
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options

The 100 $1's because you get 100 of them instead of just 1. Duh!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    By volume....

Five cups of Marshmallow Fluff is about one pound.

Five cups of water weighs a little over 2.5 pounds.

Five cups of mercury would weigh about 35 pounds.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

"Muscle weighs more than fat" - is often times the excuse people have when starting to workout regularly and the scale not responding.

My thought is this - it's like the old joke, "What weighs more a lb. of feathers or a lb. of rocks - they weigh the same a lb.".

Although the feathers take up more space than the rocks they both weigh the same - 1 lb.

The statistic I like is that a lb. of fat only burns about 10 calories and a lb. of muscle burns about 50 calories.

Yeah I like ths statistic too "a lb. of fat only burns about 10 calories and a lb. of muscle burns about 50 calories"

Too bad this is NOT TRUE. I wish. Muscle does burn more calories than fat ....... but 50 is a gross exaggeration.
  • voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    *headdesk headdesk
  • MThurs
    Options

The 100 $1's because you get 100 of them instead of just 1. Duh!

That's SO funny - my grandson thinks like that - he's 4! He got a $50 bill from his great-grandma for his birthday but the 4 $1 bills that he got from his great-grandpa was BETTER because there were 4 of them!! :-)
  • MThurs
    Options

Yeah I like ths statistic too "a lb. of fat only burns about 10 calories and a lb. of muscle burns about 50 calories"

Too bad this is NOT TRUE. I wish. Muscle does burn more calories than fat ....... but 50 is a gross exaggeration.

It was the stat I googled from Bodybuilding.com
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

It was the stat I googled from Bodybuilding.com

Single digits are more likely

http://fitnessblackbook.com/muscle_tone_strategies_/gaining-muscle-doesnt-increase-the-metabolic-rate-a-significant-amount/

http://weightology.net/?p=192

http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/news/cals.htm
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Muscle is more DENSE than fat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!