Sooooo ready to &*^%&(#!!!! quit!!

Options
2»

Replies

• happyhubbard
    Options
    I just returned from the doctor and she told me to cut out ALL complex carbs and limit my simple carbs. She said she sees this work for many people and is healthy to do....so I will do it and let you all know how it goes.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I just returned from the doctor and she told me to cut out ALL complex carbs and limit my simple carbs. She said she sees this work for many people and is healthy to do....so I will do it and let you all know how it goes.
    Best move I agree...Ive cut mine and its has helped good luck!!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

Wait, what? I think you meant she wants you to cut out the simple carbs and limit your complex carbs right? Cuz I never heard anyone do it the other way before.
  • Paeonia
    Paeonia Posts: 161
    Options
    HH - I'm in the exact same place as you height/weight/goal-wise. It is REALLY frustrating watching your cals, exercising, strength training, and not seeing those big results on the scale. For me my body is being REALLY slow responding to my efforts. I lose like .5 lb / week IF I'm lucky. So yeah, what SHBoss said...when you're relatively healthy already your body doesn't want to shed that weight. We just have to keep to it and be patient, even if it takes a year to come off!

Good luck to you with reducing the carbs, let us know how it works out for you :flowerforyou:
  • isadoraworkman
    isadoraworkman Posts: 205 Member
    Options

Wait, what? I think you meant she wants you to cut out the simple carbs and limit your complex carbs right? Cuz I never heard anyone do it the other way before.

Yeah...complex carbs are good..you don't want to cut those out...you'll be cutting out all of the good foods...like lettuce!!!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

Yeah...complex carbs are good..you don't want to cut those out...you'll be cutting out all of the good foods...like lettuce!!!

I'll tell ya what though, someone finds a plan that DOES do it this way, I'm ALL IN BABY! :tongue: Pizza and twinkies for me!!!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I've never ever ever ever heard of a doctor telling someone to cut out complex carbs. simple carbs- yes, complex carbs? uh, no. for the sake of her medical career I hope you misunderstood her. if not, you need a new doctor.
  • gggivens
    gggivens Posts: 46
    Options
    Yes-reexamine what she said to cut out please. Cut out sugar and flour (simple carbs) but please don't cut out complex carbs (vegis, etc.) Those you may need to keep an eye on, but I think you got it backwards.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    she probably trans-posed what the doctor said
  • atodaro
    atodaro Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    That is one thing I learned too. Careful carb control. Some of us are very carb sensitive. I only have oatmeal, some fresh fruit, and mainly green veggies like edamame, tossed salad (dressing on the side that I usually ignore but it is comforting to know it is there), brocolli, snap peas, avacodo, onion, mushrooms. I will eat cauliflower and carrots because they are not calorie dense. No bread, no potatoes, no rice, very little pasta. That is 99% of my carbs. No simple carbs like sugar. No more than two servings of fruit a day (and I have to be careful of bananas... a large one can be 200 calories while a handful of strawberries is only 50 calories. Plain fat free yogurt sweetened with stevia instead of sugar. No white flour and very rarely any other flour. No artificial sweeteners because they make me hungry. Fat free cottage cheese. Eggs, egg beaters, and other lean protein. At least 30% of my calories from protein. Avoid fat free items made with sugar, but a lot of fat free dairy products are okay. My H is lactose intolerant, so we use lactose free milk around the house. Whey protein powder to help fill in the protein.
    I really like Tom Venuto's ebook and his new hard cover. When all else fails, I get it out and read it again and figure out where I have been messing up. And I have the hard cover on CD so I can play it in the car when I'm doing errands.
    Keep the faith. Good eating habits will be passed on to our new baby... this country has been eating poorly over the last 50 years or so, and its time to turn it around.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    In my opinion I don't think anyne should just eat 1200 calories a day I think that is just too low.
    Everyone is different. For us shorties, sometimes 1200 is just about right to *maintain*. I know when I eat 1500 calories and workout moderately, I *gain* weight. You just can't make broad generalizations like that and expect them to hold true 100% for everyone.

To the OP: I think the problem is that you are eating your exercise calories. Most people I know who lose weight don't do that. They eat maybe half their exercise calories.

There are a couple of reasons for this, but the big one is that our exercise calories are just an estimate -- even with a HR monitor -- and many of the formulas used to calculate those estimates are overly generous.

I have a spreadsheet. I put in my RMR and then an estimate of my calories burned by exercise and it calculates how much I should be losing a week. If I consistently lose less than my spreadsheet says I should, I know I've over-estimated my exercise calories and I adjust accordingly. My philosophy is that reality (i.e., what I actually lose) trumps online databases every time. :wink:

Btw, I'm 5'1" and 135 so we're in the same ball park. Though I'm a lot older so I've had a lot longer to mess up my metabolism. :laugh:
  • happyhubbard
    Options

Yes- you're right....I said it backwards:tongue:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

Yes- you're right....I said it backwards:tongue:

darn, I was hoping there was some breakthrough and I could eat hoho's and dingdongs and loose weight. :tongue:
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I find that I started gaining weight when I finally figured out that I was consuming less calories then I should''ve, I bought a heart rate monitor that also tells me the amount of calories I have burned, I found I was burning more calories then I thought I was. So now I'm a little better at keeping track of my calorie intake, try to keep the sodium and sugar down and make sure I consume 75 - 90% of my calories for the day and I found I reversed into losing weight, so everyone is a little different, but I would definately think about getting a heart rate monitor that burns cals so you get a better picture of how many you should be consuming, or your body could be at a happy weight already you never know.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I find that I started gaining weight when I finally figured out that I was consuming less calories then I should''ve, I bought a heart rate monitor that also tells me the amount of calories I have burned, I found I was burning more calories then I thought I was. So now I'm a little better at keeping track of my calorie intake, try to keep the sodium and sugar down and make sure I consume 75 - 90% of my calories for the day and I found I reversed into losing weight, so everyone is a little different, but I would definately think about getting a heart rate monitor that burns cals so you get a better picture of how many you should be consuming, or your body could be at a happy weight already you never know.

Heart rate monitors are awesome- so you know exactly what you are burning when you workout
  • 2BLean
    2BLean Posts: 2,373 Member
    Options
    Hi there SHBoss: I have read some of your posts before and think you have such great advice. :happy:
    Would you mind breaking it down for me too. I am in the same kind of boat as far as
    Having a healthy BMI but would like to get the LB’s down. It’s happening but very slowly. I guess like you mentioned it is because my body is very comfortable where it’s at. Hence I have stayed where I am for quite some time. Currently losing some inches & clothes fitting looser but only lost 3#’s. :grumble:
    I’m 5’7”, 141 lbs. - Currently I strength train 3 days a week with an ab workout following.
    3-4 days a week I do cardio or interval training.
    Any advice/breakdown I would appreciate so much if you have time. I want to make sure I am doing the calorie part correctly. I do eat my exercise calories but wonder if I should be eating more or
    “zig-zagging” them up and down. Just not sure.
    Thanks in advance for your help!
  • rstarks54
    rstarks54 Posts: 163
    Options
    1200 calories/day
    I eat all of my exercise calories
    Workout cardio for 40 mins/day (5-6 times/week)
    Weightlifting for 20 mins. (3 times/week)
    I am 25 years old, 5'2", and 135 pounds with a goal weight of 110 pounds.

Oh and I am a kindergarten teacher- I have set my activity to sedentary also, even though I am probably "lightly active"
    You might try upping you caloric intake to 1400 calories/day. It sounds like your body has gone into "survival mode"...take a day off of exercise every few days, let your body heal. It takes 48 hours to repair the muscle after a intensive strengthening day...I found that I was working out six days a week, strength training 5 and cardio 6...in fact, I ended up gaining 2 lbs, so I take a day off without working out, watching my caloric intake, every 3-4 days and immediately dropped those 2 lbs...Best to you...
    Rick
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Hi there SHBoss: I have read some of your posts before and think you have such great advice. :happy:
    Would you mind breaking it down for me too. I am in the same kind of boat as far as
    Having a healthy BMI but would like to get the LB’s down. It’s happening but very slowly. I guess like you mentioned it is because my body is very comfortable where it’s at. Hence I have stayed where I am for quite some time. Currently losing some inches & clothes fitting looser but only lost 3#’s. :grumble:
    I’m 5’7”, 141 lbs. - Currently I strength train 3 days a week with an ab workout following.
    3-4 days a week I do cardio or interval training.
    Any advice/breakdown I would appreciate so much if you have time. I want to make sure I am doing the calorie part correctly. I do eat my exercise calories but wonder if I should be eating more or
    “zig-zagging” them up and down. Just not sure.
    Thanks in advance for your help!

Hmm, well, I don't wanna hijack the thread, so I'll answer, but if you have more questions, PM me or start a new one so we don't take this one off track. BUT, I'm happy to offer advice when I can. As long as it's understood that I'm not a registered dietician or doctor so take it for what it is. :smile:

OK well, 5'7" and 141 your BMI is really right smack in the middle of normal (22.1 BMI), so I'm not sure why you want to loose weight. If I were you I'd focus on getting your body fat % down and toning. Really examine how you chose your goal. So that being said, I won't recommend any deficit for you at all, instead, I think you should eat your maintenance calories, and then do about 2 days of intense cardio (like, struggling to catch your breath cardio, the type where you want to give up half way in cuz there's no way you will make it to the end) and 2 days of weight training or moderate to heavy resistance training (separate your weight training days by at least 2 days so you give your body time to recover, with one of them being a day off entirely). Then 1 day of lighter cardio, and 2 days off (not in a row though). If your metabolism is normal and I will assume you are lightly active, then you should be eating somewhere around. 1850 calories for maintenance. If you do that, and only eat about 1/2 to 1/3 of your exercise calories, you will keep a small deficit, build some muscle and still burn some fat. Make sure you spread out your food into small, nutritionally diverse meals throughout the day, go protein heavy in the mornings, and go light on the carbs in the evenings. This is only advice, but it's about what I do, I based it on a lot of research, it works for me, and it's pretty sound as far as I can tell.

does this make sense to you?
  • 2BLean
    2BLean Posts: 2,373 Member
    Options
    I think so. I went ahead and e-mailed you so I didn't take up this site. :flowerforyou:
    Thank you.
  • aimige
    aimige Posts: 2
    Options
    Can you share a daily Food Log..that would help! I follow the Body for life program and I am losing about 2lbs a week and gaining muscle. I have one cheat day a week and I can have anything I want and I still lose weight. It helps to keep your metabolism tip top!