Paprika Recipe Manager 3 is great complement to MyFitnessPal.

Options
ideas2
ideas2 Posts: 1,242 Member
Is anyone else using Paprika Recipe Manager 3? My husband and I have been having so much fun trying new recipes and planning menus that are healthy with it. We love it! I tried meal planning with MyFitnessPal but did not find it to be very easy or time saving. Paprika Recipe Manager is not expensive. You can do alot just with the Windows free trial version. However, to use it for grocery shopping having it on your cell phone (for $4.99) is super helpful. In order to get the full advantage of syncing the program between devices you have to buy the full program, but it is still relatively low priced.

Here is why I love it:

1. You can collect and store recipes easily from any website or food blog. If you use the ¨bookmarklet¨ all you do is click the symbol you installed on your bookmark bar in your browser and it downloads it from your browser without ever even having to open the program. (Make sure you find the Paprika Edge extension, instructions for iPhone, or bookmarklet Javascript in order to do this. If you have problems finding them, let me know and I will put links here.)

2. For recipes like from forums, you can easily copy and paste the recipe, give it a name, change it, add notes, etc. This is great for things you want to remember that are barely recipes-- like smoothies, tips, etc. Or of course for recipes that were not from online sources.

3. When you first download a recipe from a food blog webpage, it puts it in your program uncategorized. It usually is able to download the picture of the recipe, the ingredients, directions, and often the notes, time to prepare, time to cook, etc. It also saves the webpage where you found it and has a built in browser, so you can easily find what blog it was from and look at the cooking lessons related to the recipe if it was from a blog. The built in browser has a place for you to save all your favorite food blogs and sites.

4. You choose to make any category you want, and can organize it with nesting any category under any other. Later you can edit the recipe to put it into the catagories you have created. This is great for dieting. In addition to typical categories, for example, I made a ¨masteringdiabetes¨ category for myself that I tag any recipe that meets the criteria they use (plant based, low fat, etc) I also made a smoothie category. You can nest the categories. If you go about saving several recipes of things for breakfast, you can drag and drop all of them into your breakfast categories at the same time. It is an amazingly fast way to collect recipes you want to try, especially to focus on recipes that fit within the way you are trying to eat.

5. The search features are fantastic. You can search by name, ingredients (including several for example: ¨rice, lettuce, tomatoes¨if you are thinking of a recipe but can´t recall the name), or search in the directions, desciptions, notes. If you put the recipe in there, you can find it.

6. It is so easy to enter the recipes into MyFitnessPal and log them. My beef with MyFitnessPal recipes section on the computer is that you can not search your recipes. If your recipe is stored in Paprika Recipe Manager 3, you can easily find it there and then remember exactly what the name is. You also have the website you found it in stored there, so it is super easy to copy and paste the website from the recipe manager into the part of MyFitnessPal to make it one of your recipes and log it. Or you can copy and paste just the ingredient section to do the same.

7. It´s meal planning features are so much more advanced and easier than Myfitnesspal. You can plan your meal in several different ways and if you want send them to your Google Calendar.

8. It has wonderful shopping list features. When you decide to make a recipe you can tell it to add the ingredients to your shopping list. It allows you to uncheck what you already have. Your shopping list is arranged by aisle and it aggregates the ingredients (if three recipes call for one apple, it shows you you need 3 apples.) With the full version and having its app on your phone, you can sync up to 5 versions. Then you can shop in the store, checking items off easily from your phone. Later you can clear the items you purchased from the list and the items you couldn´t find stay on the list.

9. It has several features to make it nice for having in the kitchen to cook with instead of printing the recipe, reading the recipe directly from your phone, tablet, or laptop, such as you can highlight your place, pin several recipes to switch back and forth to, etc. It also has timers you can set easily for each recipes if you have several things going.

10. You can edit recipes with your notes, rate recipes, mark recipes as favorites, and numerous similar features for those of us that tend to alter recipes. Because it saves the web address of the original recipe, if you need to go back and see what the original recipe was, it is easy.

11. It allows you to save multipe photos of your recipe. This was handy for me to make myself some recipes that were really reference materials instead of traditional recipes-- such as a recipes ¨cuts of beef¨ that had pictures that were charts of cuts of beef with names in English and Spanish.

Replies

• rlcraft
    rlcraft Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with your assessment. Paprika is _much_ better at recipe management, shopping lists, etc. MyFitnessPal offers a great nutrition calculator, food log, and exercise log. I use both and wish there was a way to link the apps so that I could do nutrition calculations from within Paprika and could pick recipes stored in Paprika when I am logging food in MyFitnessPal.
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Paprika is the best thing ever.

I've been heavily recommending it for many years.

It takes some work to set it up optimally, but once you figure out your categories and get everything properly tagged, meal planning takes me under 5 minutes and I can just print a shopping list.
  • dineen46
    dineen46 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been using it for several years! I now have almost 1500 recipes in it, placed in 33 different categories.
  • captmiddy
    captmiddy Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I also have used Paprika for many years, and was on version 2 for a long time before I finally paid for version 3 upgrade. You can actually copy out the ingredients list into MyFitnessPal and it will generally do well at finding parts for you. I don't ever put instructions in MyFitnessPal recipes, I just use it for nutrition management. The one thing that would make paprika very useful is if it exposed your recipes via maybe some private key, on the web for import into things like myfitnesspal and the like.
  • ideas2
    Options
    @captmiddy
    @dineen46
    @Xellercin
    @rlcraft

That is interesting, especially that you can copy out the ingredients list and it will find the parts for you.

Has anyone used the meal planning or menu function of Paprika to make some shortcuts to use in MFP, like some personal meals when you eat the same thing? I do not like that MFP does not seem to have a favorites function, but instead you can choose between personal foods, saved meals, or recipes. I started trying out making some menus of meals I typically do, put them in Paprika so that I can remember what exactly I named them, and then saved them as meals in MFP so that I can have a shortcut to my meals. I also have done Prolon Fasting Mimmicking on a monthly basis, where the meals are provided and exactly the same, so I entered those days food as ¨meals¨ so that I can just re-use them.

Also is there another program you use to better calculate your minerals and vitamins that MFP doesn´t track, that has some shortcuts? I have settled on MFP as ¨good enough¨ better than the other things I have found that are currently being supported, but I really miss the Diet Power I used to use years ago that would track like 22 different nutrients and that had easy to enter favorites I could save for the stuff I ate repeatedly. I would like to do some meal planning to make sure I am getting all my nutrients, not just the basic few that MFP Premium does. If I found another program I could use not all the time, but just to insure that some of my basic menus are very complete, I would like to find it. I don´t think Paprikas nutrition report is very robust, is it? I haven´t really used the nutrition part of Paprika.

Anybody have any tips, using Paprika or not, on how they use the features of MFP like saving meals or entering foods, meals, or recipes? I still feel like there should be better hacks that I haven´t figured out to enter the food quicker that I eat regularly. However, I often eat things like salad that have mostly the same ingredients but some variation.
  • ulmercandace
    ulmercandace Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if you can export a recipe from Paprika and import it into My Fitness Pal?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    @ulmercandace you'd more likely get useful responses if you started your own thread with your question as the topic of the thread, rather than appending it to a zombie thread that people might ignore (because it's a zombie thread) and never see your specific question.

I don't use Paprika so I can't help you on the specifics, but if the recipes in Paprika display on a public (non-paywall) page, you should be able to import it using the MFP recipe feature. But my limited personal experience doing that and the anecdotes I've heard from other users suggest that importing recipes is kind of glitchy (e.g., the matching of ingredients isn't terribly accurate, and it doesn't give you as many options for suggesting a better match). I find using the option to build the recipe from scratch easier, but YMMV.
  • ideas2
    Options
    @ulmercandace

Not an import per se but it is very easy for any recipe that you found online and added to Paprika. Almost all my recipes are ones that I used the little applet to download from the web. So for those, Paprika has the original web address in with the recipoe. I just copy that web address into the recipe part of MFP so it is very easy. For those few I added myself, I can cut and paste the ingredients.
  • trinah1971
    trinah1971 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    well, Zombie post or not, I found this post through Google (not the search engine in fitness pal!) and it is very helpful. The clearest answer to ulmercandace's question and mine is the one from ideas2. Thanks!

PS Yes, it would be helpful if MFP had a feature to more easily import recipes from other apps. Certainly a little AI in data recognition would fix the glitches! Who do we make that suggestion to?