Organic ???

Options
I used to think organic foods were a waste of time. But man I have been buying pasture raised organic brown eggs. They taste so good that i stopped using cheese or breakfast meats!

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you found something you like so much!
  • cdennis9154
    cdennis9154 Posts: 114 Member
    Options

They really are a game changer. Any new or staple foods you really love ?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options

They really are a game changer. Any new or staple foods you really love ?

Have to have my plain greek yogurt in the fridge at all times -- I use it to top baked/jacket potatoes, or when I'm mashing potatoes; to stir a dollop into soups, stews, and chilis; to top just about anything spicy, especially with Indian or Southwest U.S. flavor profiles; as a spread in lieu of butter or cream on flavored breads and quick breads (a/k/a tea cakes); to mix with cheese powder (like people put on popcorn) for a savory protein snack; to thin with milk and season to taste for a refreshing drink (similar to lassi); as a base for sauces, dressings, and marinades; in lieu of mayo in some salads; as an ingredient in smoothies; mixed with raw oats for muesli and as a topping for cooked oats; and mixed with fresh fruit for breakfast, snack or dessert.

I also have to have a nut or seed butter on hand all the time (primarily a peanut butter that's only peanuts and salt, because that's the kind I like, but I change it up sometimes with tahini or almond butter or homemade pistachio or smoked almond butter). I use it for sandwiches with bananas, or just spread on toast; for a spicy-vinegary-soy-sesame sauce I use on noodle dishes (my version of a Chinese dish) with pork, tofu, bell peppers, and/or cucumbers; to have a spoonful with an apple; to spread on milk chocolate; or to pair with a spoonful of Nutella (really good with the tahini).
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I’ve bought mainly organic (fruit/veg) and/or free range (meat) for years - for a number of reasons

Yes taste - a lot tastes so so much better. Enjoy those eggs! (I supplement with non organic and yes generally you can tell)

Kindness - I find much mass production in the near industry cruel

Convenience - that veg box delivery saves me a lot of shopping effort

Environment - farming is over using pesticides to the detriment of insect life and the animal food chain. I would prefer farming to be reigned in legislatively and more sustainable practices encouraged, rather than to have to buy frankly often much more expensive alternatives. But at the moment this is what I can (and can afford) to do.

My health - well yes I’d rather not have too many ‘nasties’ come my way too. But also if I have a veg box it helps me keep a lot of veg in my diet. And I eat less meat (good for me and the planet) as the meat I do buy can be more expensive as well as more delicious. So that means more lentil etc based meals in the mix - again good for me and the planet .

(Do swap out factory chicken with ‘slow grown’ and free range - a whole different taste world!)

I realise my views are challenging and//or not shared by a number of other people - but I just wanted to share them as personally I don’t think organic/high welfare is at all a waste of space or time, instead for me it is a thoughtful space about how we look after the planet and the animals/insects we share it with, as well as our bodies, taste buds and wallets. (Ok a bit of a fail on the last one!)