ChaLean Extreme & Turbo Fire

Options
I'm looking to do one of these as my next challenge. But can't decide. And I can't afford both. Honestly, I think they are overpriced the way they are.

First off....I KNOW the differences. I've done tons of research here and on other pages/youtube, etc. What I'd like is feedback from people who have done BOTH programs. I hear everyone saying how much they like TF or CLE, but I would like to know what people who have done both like or don't like. Or did one give you better results?

A little background. I'm in my last week of Supreme 90 Day which is working with weights and a few cardio days in a week. I enjoy working with weights and I like the results. I also have 45 lbs or so to go so I could benefit from a good cardio program like TF. I'm also afraid that by doing a high cardio program, I will lose the toning I've gotten from weights, esp my arms. So I'm on a fence....

Also, I'm aware that there are a lot of BeachBody coaches on here. I'm not looking for umpteen friend requests from people who are really about wanting to be the coach I buy from. I have several BB coach friends already and don't think it's fair to have to pick one to go through. However if you are a coach and have information I'm asking for I'd love to hear from you. I'm not being snarky, but it seems like whenever I mention an interest, I get tons of friends requests that are solely for networking sake.

Replies

• weber62
    Options
    I just finished week 20 of Turbo Fire yesterday and I finished Chalene Extreme back in May. I am starting the modified schedule of both today. I like them both but I do like the Turbo Fire better. Turbo Fire has the workouts to tone so you will still have that. I also bought the advanced DVDs for the Turbo Fire set and the 60 minute workout is my favorite. Hope this helps.
  • deja_blu
    deja_blu Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I've done both exercieses and I think they have different agendas.

ChaLean Extreme is circuit training to help build muscle so you can burn fat. What I like about it is that it isn't just lifting weights x amount of days a week. There are days where you do cardio and even some stretching so I am not bored and my body doesn't hate me (so much). I'm on Day 8 of CE and I can already feel the difference in my arms and legs.

TurboFire is just a high intensity cardio program, lots of fun, best sweat ever! I'm sure you'll tone your body while doing it if you add the hand weights but it doesn't serve the same purpose as CE. I hope ppl aren't comparing the two because you can't.

Just my two cents. =)

And congrats on your 29 lbs being *poof* gone!!!!

5499814.png
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    If you already love the weights and are worried about the muscle toning...... I would go for the ChaLEAN Extreme...you do get some cardio in the mix ;) I found personally I liked to to do my Turbojam ( I didn't yet have TurboFire at the time I started CE) more then the cardio included with the CE...but it might have been because when I first tried that Cardio, I was still 313....and have knee and ankle issues. There IS one awesome bonus workout on the CE set I have , which is the 30 min TurboJam Fat Blaster which seems to me to be a cross between TurboJam and TurboFire.... it seems to have a bit of the HIIT principle to it....

I have now been doing the ChaLEAN Extreme again ( in the middle of the PUSH stage) along with mixing in TF , BellyDance, and Zumba into my mix for Cardio...If you did choose the CE, there are a ton of youtube vids for Zumba, which is nice...because it gives you variety and good cardio until you can afford/want to try later TurboFire... The HIITS on the TurboFire ARE trully amazing though..and the music is infectious..it's actually very FUN...I can't really think of anything I honestly DON'T like on the TurboFire... I guess it just depends on what you are wanting to focus on to start... if you decided TF, could you still work in your Supreme 90 for your weight training days?

Chalene has a modifer in both, which is awesome, because it really helps on days you either are struggling more, if like me when I started can't do the jumping etc... ( I can do most now though ;)

Via my go wearfit ( same thing as bodybugg) I burn about 600-700 cals for an hour of TurboFire, with the 25 min HIIT, It was about 330 or so... with the CE, It is about 150-175 during the PUSH phase for the 30 min workout....I am 5 foot 5, and about 250...if that helps give you an idea. :)

I think it's DEFINATALLY good to have a mix of both cardio and weights... but to also keep your body guessing... I love all things Turbo, but have had to break in some other sorts of cardio due to hitting plateaus... I think my body just got used to it... ;)

The other thought might be, if you have someone who works out with you regularally, for one to get TF, and one to get CE.. or if a few of you in a group can do it together? And either take turns, or do the hybrid mix ( I beleive the hybrid is on the BB site.)

The other thing might be to look for a local BB fitclub, those are usually free, put in by BB coaches, I know the one I was involved in we did a mix of the different workouts we owned...so you have a chance to try them workouts first to see how you like them...... I think there IS also a TurboFire greatest HIITS DVD on the bb site, which is 20 or so...but just half an hour from what I have read... I don't personally have that one...

Just curious... how do you like the Supreme 90?

Either one will rock for ya! :) Chalene Johnson is VERY inspiring and fun :) ( one that note, there may be a local class of TurboKick...which is her in gym version....?)

~embersfallen :)
  • Steph62002
    Options
    I'm on my second go-round of a CE and TF hybrid. I started TF first and loved it, but missed lifting weights. I switched to CE and loved the weight lifting, but felt I got a better cardio workout with TF.
    I guess it really depends what your goal is. If you are more into building muscle I would go with CE. If you are looking to lower your body fat % and tone all over, I'd go with TF. My problem is that I want both, so that's why I'm doing both programs! ;)
    I lift weights every other day and do TF 2-3 a week as well.
  • ReneeClaireR
    ReneeClaireR Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second go-round of a CE and TF hybrid. I started TF first and loved it, but missed lifting weights. I switched to CE and loved the weight lifting, but felt I got a better cardio workout with TF.
    I guess it really depends what your goal is. If you are more into building muscle I would go with CE. If you are looking to lower your body fat % and tone all over, I'd go with TF. My problem is that I want both, so that' why I'm doing both programs! ;)
    I lift weights every other day and do TF 2-3 a week as well.

Exactly what I was going to post!
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Hi Deena - here is a completely different angle that you might not have considered - as we age, we lose muscle unless we do something about it. I've read multiple times - the most recent being on the Dr. Oz website - that it's a whopping 5% of muscle lost every decade after the age of 30. It becomes a problem for multiple reasons - the obvious one is that your metabolism drops because you no longer have as much muscle to support and muscle happens to require more calories to maintain, but you also risk losing bone density since you are no longer supporting as much muscle and, you set yourself up at higher risks of falling as you age because you no longer have the same strength and muscle coordination. I read some very sobering statistics recently, in a book called "Younger Next Year", written by Dr. Henry S. Lodge (these are quoted directly from the book):

There are one and a half million fractures each year from osteoporosis, the large majority of them occur in women.

You – yes you – have a 50 percent lifetime risk of breaking a bone from osteoporosis, and the vast majority of these fractures are caused by falls that you would have bounced right back up from in younger years.

Americans – mostly women – suffer 300,000 hip fractures every single year.

Hip fractures kill more women than breast cancer.

Twenty percent of women who fall down and break a hip die within a year.

And of those who survive, half will never live independently again.

Twenty-five percent of women who break a hip will end up in a nursing home.

Twenty-five percent will be at home, but dependent on a wheelchair or walker to get around the house, and dependent on someone else to get through each day.

There are a million spine fractures each year in the United States, and about a quarter million wrist fractures, most from osteoporosis.

Only half of spine or wrist fractures heal back to full function; the rest become lifetime disabilities.

Dr. Lodge recommends high aerobic activity 3-4 times per week, but what he also advocates, to counteract those horrible statistics that I just listed - is weight training.

Where am I going with all of this? I will be 49 next month. I do ChaLEAN Extreme - strictly for the weight training aspect. Lifting heavy builds your muscle, which increases your metabolism. Lifting heavy increases your bone density to help prevent osteoperosis. Lifting heavy increases you core strength and balance to help prevent falls. Lifting heavy is going to keep me strong for as long as possible. You can always sub in other cardio routines the other four days of the week, but for me, three days belong to CLX and my weight set!! How much does it help, you may wonder? At the age of 49, I can do squats with a 35 lb. dumb bell in each hand after only three rounds of CLX. (My first round, I lifted with less than half of that!) Do I look huge and bulky? Nope. I am also at least three sizes smaller than the other three women in my office who are the same age and don't lift weights!!

Just another perspective to think about - hope it helps!! Good luck which ever you choose!
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I love Turbo Fire and have been using it for a couple months now. However, I hated lifting weights, but figured I I would give Chalean Extreme a try and so far I am still using the program....this is the my third week, which is a record when it comes to weights for me. So I am using CLX three days for weights and Turbo Fire the other 3 to 4 days for cardio.
  • deanadimples
    deanadimples Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    The other thought might be, if you have someone who works out with you regularally, for one to get TF, and one to get CE.. or if a few of you in a group can do it together? And either take turns, or do the hybrid mix ( I beleive the hybrid is on the BB site.)

The other thing might be to look for a local BB fitclub, those are usually free, put in by BB coaches, I know the one I was involved in we did a mix of the different workouts we owned...so you have a chance to try them workouts first to see how you like them...... I think there IS also a TurboFire greatest HIITS DVD on the bb site, which is 20 or so...but just half an hour from what I have read... I don't personally have that one...

Just curious... how do you like the Supreme 90?

I have ZERO local friends who are doing any such exercise. And a local fitclub isn't an option either. We have Anytime Fitness here so they are going to be all about using their trainers/clases, etc.

I have enjoyed Supreme 90...but after 90 days, I'm ready for something different. But the workouts were challenging and I got good results. I've lost about an inch a month from my major places...and around 15 or so lbs. I went from a 16 to 12 in those 3 months too.

Everyone here has brought up some very good points. So, I can do TF and still do my strength training from S90. Or...I could do CLE and work on running or do other cardio.

Question...I see that one HIT video is only 15 mins? Is this right? That would give me time to do an extra weight day if I wanted to do my strength DVDs from S90, right?
  • mmtiernan
    Options
    I may have given you the wrong idea - CLX is a 5-day a week program, not three - it has three days of weights and two days of cardio endurance. You really don't need anything more than that as long as you eat as cleanly as possible. Having said that, if you do choose to do cardio the same day that you weight train, the recommendation is to do the cardio after the weight training with the main reason being that you won't be able to lift at full capacity and you compromise your workout. I sometimes do a quick HIIT workout after weight training, but no more than once or maybe twice a week at most. It is possible to over do it and you need to allow your body time to recover! :)

If you are just looking for some cardio to change things up with your current weighted workout program, you could always look at your local library to see if they have anything to check out or you can stream workout DVDs from Netflix. You can also check out the website collagevideo.com - they sell workout DVDs and you can usually preview them before you buy.

Congrats on your fantastic results!!
  • deanadimples
    Options
    I knew that CLE is 5 days with 3 days weights. I think I was referring to if I did TF...I could do weights on the days where the TF workouts are shorter. If I do cardio I always do it after weights...and it's usually just a walk or walk/run intervals outside or running on my treadmill for 30 mins.

I'm leaning towards CLE...just because it gives me both weights and cardio. And I'm seeing results with working with weights so it must work! I may not shed lbs on the scale as fast but I'm seeing results in toning and my overall size that keep me going and that's what's important! Plus I love seeing the strength changes. Last week I was able to do my first pushups on my toes! I'm only good for 5 or 7 but I remember starting out how I could only do 5-7 on my knees! I wouldn't be able to do that if I was doing only cardio.
  • deanadimples
    Options
    Ok ...i did it. I ordered CLE last night. It should be here about when I finish Supreme 90 day. Excited!

Although I was not impressed with the online order process! 5 special offers!? Holy annoying upsell. Then I had no choice but add some as there was no skip option on some. Then I had to remove from my cart. Not cool at all. If I get another product down the road I may just get off ebay and save myself the extra crap. I hate that stuff.
  • mmtiernan
    Options
    Hi Deana - Saw that you chose CLX and wanted to invite you over to our thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/293721-chalean-extreme-group-starting-monday-5-23

There are some really great folks on this thread doing CLX and we're all in one stage of the program or another, so if you'd like to join us, we'd love to have you!!

Michelle