Wheat and Belly Fat

Options
Interesting article on how the hybridization of wheat over the past 70 years has affected its nutritional values to the point where it is bad for us: http://www2.macleans.ca/2011/09/20/on-the-evils-of-wheat-why-it-is-so-addictive-and-how-shunning-it-will-make-you-skinny/

Replies

• Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I know I feel it!....ouch... interesting read... thanks for sharing.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    bump
  • theba2il
    theba2il Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Couldn't get to the Maclean's article. I'll share one with you:flowerforyou: Also if you have NetFlix, Deconstructing Supper is a great documentary.

http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.php/2011/09/12/interview-with-wheat-belly-author-dr-william-davis/
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I will read the article later - thanks!
    I DID notice that when I cut out wheat (I still have some multigrain bread about 2-3 times a week, but there are days I go without ANY wheat products), my belly shrunk and I started losing weight big time.
  • grassette
    Options
    I have friends that swear that eliminating wheat works wonders. And there are plenty of other grains out there. But, if cutting out wheat, so substantially eliminates belly fat, it must also be cutting down on visceral fat, the fat around organs, which is what really kills you.
  • grassette
    Options
    For those interested, I am issuing a Challenge not to eat wheat for 2 weeks: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/351429-lose-stomach-fat-challenge
  • theba2il
    theba2il Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    For those interested, I am issuing a Challenge not to eat wheat for 2 weeks: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/351429-lose-stomach-fat-challenge

Great challenge!! I'd join but I quit wheat for good 2 weeks ago. Best wishes.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have friends that swear that eliminating wheat works wonders. And there are plenty of other grains out there. But, if cutting out wheat, so substantially eliminates belly fat, it must also be cutting down on visceral fat, the fat around organs, which is what really kills you.

That's not necessarily true. You can have a visibly flat belly and still have visceral fat around your organs. It's what the medical community refers to as "skinny fat" (though I've learned from these boards that the exercise community has a different meaning for that term). Exercise is the best way to eliminate visceral fat.
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Ok, so if Wheat isn't good for you, then what kind of bread should you be eating?
  • megteg
    megteg Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Interesting - Thanks for sharing. I've started noticing that I don't feel the best after I eat super carb-heavy and dairy heavy foods. I might try going gluten free for a few weeks to see if that does it!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Interesting - Thanks for sharing. I've started noticing that I don't feel the best after I eat super carb-heavy and dairy heavy foods. I might try going gluten free for a few weeks to see if that does it!

Feeling like this and having other health issues is what got me to change from the Atkins diet over to the Paleo Approach.
  • kscutie
    kscutie Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    This seems like BS to me. I get blood sugar crashes from any carb, not just wheat. Oatmeal goes right through me. And while I really like great bread and pasta, I'm certainly not addicted to it. Otherwise I would eat wonder bread, which I won't.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Ok, so if Wheat isn't good for you, then what kind of bread should you be eating?

Some people substitute with other grains, but personally I've given up all grains and don't try to emulate baked goods. Instead my diet is meat, eggs, vegetables, healthy oils, nuts, and fruit.

As someone who used to make home baked bread, cookies, cakes, pies, and even pasta etc., and could barely wait for the loaf to cool before inhaling slice after slice, it seemed it would be an insurmountable change; but since a few weeks into eating this way, I haven't missed them. Makes me wonder if there isn't something to the research that suggests the craving people have for bread is based in a brain chemical reaction to proteins in the wheat.