food before bed?

Options
How true is it that you are not supposed to eat 3 hours before bed? I've heard both sides of the argument, but I wasn't sure. Please let me know what you think! Thanks! :smile:

Replies

• KylieE
    KylieE Posts: 40
    Options
    How true is it that you are not supposed to eat 3 hours before bed? I've heard both sides of the argument, but I wasn't sure. Please let me know what you think! Thanks! :smile:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    pretty true. a light snack is generally ok, but the metabolism DOES slow down during sleep, which means you burn less calories, which means anything not already processed, could be stored as fat.
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Nothing heavy before bed....but a snack is not going to be a problem, one of the main reasons for telling you not to eat is the digestion process....if you eat something heavy that the body has to work to digest and you lay down, you will have troubles with indigestion and heartburn........best to wait a couple hours to sleep after a big meal, but eat away on the snack if you want.

:flowerforyou:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I usually just find I sleep better if I don't eat anything heavy later in the night. I try to eat my dinner around 6:00 and may have a light snack later on, but nothing too big.
  • KylieE
    KylieE Posts: 40
    Options
    Sooo, a pint of ice cream 5 minutes before bed is no good? Just kidding. :tongue: That is what I kind of thought. Thank you!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    for me ...I keep the metabolism burning,,,,my last fueling of the day is usually around an hour before bed...I prefer cottage cheese...cassein protein it is a slow digesting protein and fuels me slowly all night...(so I read in a mens muscle magazine)
  • Kasey42588
    Options
    Eating too close to bed is no good for you, unless like everyone else said, it's a light snack. I try to eat dinner before 7, then for a snack, I'll have some Goldfish, a banana, or some popcorn with a little bit Parmesan cheese sprinkled on it. Remember that your metabolism slows down when you're sleeping, although you still are burning calories. Think of it this way: you eat something, let's say heavy like a big bowl of ice cream. When you go to bed, that food is just sitting there. You don't burn enough calories sleeping to really break the food down so it just stays put. Personally, it just makes me more uncomfortable throughout the night and in the morning. You're better off sticking to light snacks like a low fat yogurt, or some baby carrots.
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    I guess I swim upstream... I like going to bed on a full stomach. I stay within my calories, though, so it's not like I'm eating 'extra' before bed. I'm still losing weight and I've never had a problem eating before bed. I usually don't eat a meal before bed, but there are times when I have dinner really late and I don't find I have negative effects, unless I'm just eating a plate full of junk food.

I just think it's dependent on the individual, and like anything, there is no hard and fast concrete rule that works for everyone.