Are you prepared for obstacles

Options
What are the things that have sidetracked or stalled your progress before? How can we overcome them this time?

I used to be a slave to the scale. If I woke up and the scale didn't read what I want..I would get back in bed and probably order unhealthy food. And then the next day I'd be so guilty that I didn't work out and ate that junk food..that I would repeat the process.

Yesterday I crushed chest day. Did Over 20,000 steps. Ate clean. I woke up 4 pound heavier. I was confused.

Old me would've quit.

New me refuses to fall victim to the scale. I put my gear on and hit the gym.

Playing the long game!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,515 Member
    Options
    Scale weight isn't always a true indication of success in one's weight loss journey. I wrote a thread about this long ago and it gets revived occasionally.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10196160/scale-stress-syndrome/p1

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Opalescent_Topaz
    Opalescent_Topaz Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I was in maintenance for about 2 years. What threw me off was neurosurgery. I was kind of laid out for a while before the surgery and then after the surgery as well. I was in more pain than I expected and having seizures, but didn't really want to take the actual pain medication because it made me nauseous.

Regarding how that made me gain weight. :)
    I'm usually the one in the kitchen. My husband was pretty worried and still working part of the time so we ordered food. I also didn't get back to exercising right away. But, I think I could have done it better. Tracked my food, etc.

It's okay though, it will come off.
  • cdennis9154
    cdennis9154 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I was in maintenance for about 2 years. What threw me off was neurosurgery. I was kind of laid out for a while before the surgery and then after the surgery as well. I was in more pain than I expected and having seizures, but didn't really want to take the actual pain medication because it made me nauseous.

Regarding how that made me gain weight. :)
    I'm usually the one in the kitchen. My husband was pretty worried and still working part of the time so we ordered food. I also didn't get back to exercising right away. But, I think I could have done it better. Tracked my food, etc.

It's okay though, it will come off.

Sorry to hear about your surgery. But obstacles are just opportunities to unlock something. You may have gained weight while you were down but I'm sure you've experienced something or learned something during this time what will prepare you for a comeback. It will come off!
  • Opalescent_Topaz
    Opalescent_Topaz Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, it will come off for sure. I've already lost some of the weight.

I think I learned that tracking my food, even (possibly)somewhat inaccurately, works to keep me on the straight and narrow. I don't know if I'm someone who gets to stop tracking.

We all go through stuff we'd rather not. It doesn't mean we should give up on keeping ourselves healthy.