Trade out

Options
Made egg salad for lunch tomorrow used Greek yogurt instead of mayo. Now I can't wait to eat it! Added protein less fat. That's a win win for me. Going to try it with tuna and salmon as well

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Yogurt is also good as a sour cream substitute, such as on a baked potato or chili.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,194 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    I routinely use plain nonfat Greek yogurt for egg salad, deviled eggs, and similar things. I also use it as a topping like SuzySunshine does (I especially like it on enchiladas or quesadillas, and black bean soup).

I make my own salad dressings in one-meal sizes (because I like variety, get bored long before a bottled dressing runs out). Plain Greek yogurt is a great base for "creamy" salad dressings, too, with choice of fresh or dried herbs, garlic, possibly a little blue cheese when I have the calories, or other add-ins.

Another thing I like is plain Greek yogurt mixed with peanut butter powder (ideally chocolate peanut butter powder) then mixed with frozen berries (still frozen) as a snack or dessert. If it's not sweet enough, I'd add a little blackstrap molasses rather than a non-caloric sweetener. (A good brand of blackstrap molasses has surprisingly good micronutrients, and I like the taste. I don't think there's anything wrong with non-caloric sweeteners, but they generally taste off to me, and are oddly unsatisfying, so I don't use them.)

I always put a good blop of plain Greek yogurt in my oatmeal, too.

Plain nonfat Greek yogurt is so diversely useful, tasty, calorie efficient and high in protein: I always have at least one big tub of it in my refrigerator. I use it daily.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    I use a lot of Greek yogurt. However, for swaps, I tend to replace half rather than the whole thing. I made Waldorf salad like this many times this summer.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    A lot of ‘me too’ here plus I use yoghurt mixed with an egg and seasoning as the ‘béchamel sauce’ for lasagne - sometime with a light covering of grated strong cheddar or Parmesan cheese…
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I use a lot of Greek yogurt. However, for swaps, I tend to replace half rather than the whole thing. I made Waldorf salad like this many times this summer.

I'd be able to try this out. I'm just thinking swapping all of it for the mayo will change the flavor of egg salad significantly - in a way that I would mind. Maybe OP likes it more sour/sharp.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,194 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I'd be able to try this out. I'm just thinking swapping all of it for the mayo will change the flavor of egg salad significantly - in a way that I would mind. Maybe OP likes it more sour/sharp.

I don't find that all yogurt changes the egg salad unacceptably. I don't experience it as more sour/sharp specifically. However, I admit I don't like my egg salad super-goopy as I know some people prefer. Whether mayo or yogurt, I'm using the minimum amount needed to hold the mix together.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound appetizing but hey, you do you.
  • M0mble
    M0mble Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do yogurt dressings a lot, one of my favoutites is to add dijon mustard or mustard powder, lemon juice and black pepper. Tastes great with so many things - sometimes add chili sauce or flakes instead of as well. I love it with salads - egg, tuna etc - but also on the side of grilled meat, fish, chillies etc