Anyone out there have Hyperthyroidism or another Thyroid con

Options
Just looking for someone to talk to regarding hyperthyroidism or related things and how they have managed to overcome weight issues. Need some inspiration .................

Replies

• Hollie55
    Hollie55 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have hyperthryoidism. I am off to see the doc about it this week. Only recently diagnosed & had a scan & I have several cysts on my thyroid too.
  • PrincessMissDee
    PrincessMissDee Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Hyperthyroidism? Or Hypothyroidism? I have the 2nd, my thyroid is underactive. I'm not sure you'll find many with hyper- on here but there are a few people with thyroid issues.

What sort of issues are you having?
  • Bridget28152723
    Bridget28152723 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I know its unusual for me to have trouble losing weight, but I am Im trying to lose baby weight I have never had this problem! I really thought I had hypothyroidism, so did my doc. I have Hyper not hypo, It sucks!
  • LoveLeavesFootprints
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism - I was diagnosed a few months ago and have lost 25 pounds as the result of eating well, working out, and taking thyroid hormone replacements.
  • epoint
    epoint Posts: 88
    Options
    I have hyperthyroidism also, but when mine was uncontrolled I GAINED weight (crazy, I know.) Apparently for some of us the souped-up metabolism makes you so hungry that you overeat and gain, not lose. Anyway, mine has been controlled (taking tapazole) for a few years now, so it doesn't seem to be an issue with my weight one way or the other. I definitely lost weight and got healthier once I started treating it, though. Good luck!
  • Cayln666
    Cayln666 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    hi all, i dont really know how to put this simply, i was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism in 2004. was on meds (neomercazole and inderal), went off the meds cause endo#3 said my levels are fine. i still cant lose weight tho. my TSH level is 0.09, lower than the min level, but since my doc says i'm normal, who am i to argue. would any of you be willing to add your levels, so i know if i still have hyperthyroidism and should get it treated. thanks all.
  • Cayln666
    Cayln666 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    and grats to all of you who've lost so much weight, makes me so envious :) yet gives me hope.
  • epoint
    Options
    hi all, i dont really know how to put this simply, i was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism in 2004. was on meds (neomercazole and inderal), went off the meds cause endo#3 said my levels are fine. i still cant lose weight tho. my TSH level is 0.09, lower than the min level, but since my doc says i'm normal, who am i to argue. would any of you be willing to add your levels, so i know if i still have hyperthyroidism and should get it treated. thanks all.

I know there are different ranges for what is "normal" depending on what lab is being used, but my TSH is usually kept between 2.5 and 3.0. Your reading seems kind of low to me -- maybe there are other factors the endo is looking at for you? Sometimes the other thyroid readings (T4, etc.) have to be taken into account, too. Good luck getting straightened out!
  • t_windom
    t_windom Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm "Hypo" and have fought with my levels since 2006. I started out "Hyper" but after I went through the radiation treatment my levels have been low and I manage it with medication (Levothyroxin, generic brand of Synthroid). In "hyper" mode, I lost A LOT of weight but now I've gained all of it back plus some, mainly because I didn't take my medication on a regular basis. As of 6 months ago, I've been consistant with my medication and now I'm going thru this site for weight loss. Not sure how hard it's going to be yet but I'm trying to stay motivated to get thru it. Try not to get dicouraged and talk to your doctor about any irregularity you experience.

Note: Add me as a friend and maybe we can keep up with each others progress.

Good Luck!:flowerforyou:
  • SarahBear9708
    Options
    I have Hypothyroidism myself, and I take Synthroid for it. I'm finding some success, but I'm still new to this. Any of you can feel free to add me as a friend, we can support and help each other :)
  • Holly092
    Holly092 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I just found out I have hypothyroidism. Anyone know of any foods that help?
  • haileemou
    Options
    Hi

I have hashimoto's thryoiditis, goitre, thyroid nodules, low T3 hormone but normal TSH and T4 im taking Cytomel and for the first time im losing weight!

I wholeheartedly believe that you must cut a lot of carbs out, eat fresh and sinmple foods - eat vegetables, fruits, meat etc im feeling good on that! And get moving thats very important!

4 weeks ago i could barely walk! Now im on Cytomel im losing slowly and now trying the C25k!
  • debnulte
    Options
    I am still waiting to find out my test results, but i am curious about this condition. I started my diet about 2 1/2 months ago and have lost 20 pounds. I have pretty much stopped exercizing because i am so tired all the time. I am hungry all of the time but try to limit what i eat. i dont want to gain the weight back, but i am concerned about how quickly i lose it. I lost 3 pounds in 1 week. Has anyone else had this hyperthyroidism condition show up after you started dieting? Alot of "symtoms" like hair loss, low energy, short periods, ect. started about the same time i started my diet.
  • angeleyes4643
    angeleyes4643 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    For years I had undetected Hashimoto's disease and was quite large. 5 years ago I was diagnosed with Thyroid Cancer had my thyroid removed and gained even more weight. My synthryoid was finally regulated about 2 years ago and since May 2010 I've lost 57 lbs. It's been a long process that requires daily vigilance. Minimizing processed or fast food and soda really helps. And it makes me feel better. I'm not so tired and sluggish. Fresh veggies, fruit and meats have been a life saver. Also eating 3 meals a day. I know it's hard because you have to take synthroid on an empty stomach but I noticed when I started eating 3 meals I lost weight and had more energy. Hopes this helps a bit.
  • greatdaneaddict
    greatdaneaddict Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have hypo and was diagnosed when I was 19. I'm 33. Never did well on Synthroid (still always tired), and for the last several years I have been taking natural dessicated thyroid and feel amazing. I have problems with weight up and down, but I can't blame it on my disease. I have poor eating habits! Over the last three months of dieting I have lost 30 lbs being very active and am really trying hard to change my diet.
  • hobbajobba
    Options
    Hi,
    I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer in 2006 and had my thyroid removed. It took several years to regulate my Synthroid, and during that time, I was either Hyper or Hypo-it kind of alternated back and forth. I would gain 20 lbs. I would lose 20 lbs. I was miserable. I have read that most people who are hyperthyroid lose weight. I did not. I was that oddball 1 % who gain it. Now, my Synthroid is perfect. I feel great, but.....I cannot seem to get below 140. Right now I am 143. I have an elliptical and I will do it for crazy amounts of time like 2 hours-doing several 30 minutes sessions throughout the day. I know I need to let go of my Coke Zero and my Skinny Cow Ice Cream Sandwiches. I also have the tendency to eat the same thing everyday. Sometimes it is very discouraging because I feel like I work out excessively and show no progress! I may not have all the answers you are seeking, but feel free to talk to me about thyroid stuff any time!
    I just read through the previous replies and saw some mention of TSH levels-mine is below 0.01, and kept that way on purpose. It seems to make no difference whatsoever in the weight department for me! (Unfortunately:(

Jennifer
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Graves' Disease (which causes hyperthyroidism...YES, we are on MFP, too) in 2007 and was on a roller coaster ride ever since. I originally lost 25 pounds without trying before it was finally controlled with the medication. As soon as the meds started working, I immediately started gaining weight back. But my appetite was still radically out of control. I was starving ALL the time. So I gained the weight back and a little extra. The doc put me on meds to control my heart rate, so exercise became out of the question. I couldn't do cardio, because there was no way to raise my heart rate enough to make a difference. I also had severe shortness of breath, which put an end to my yoga practice. I was, honestly, a hot mess.

In the last few years, I have managed to find a doctor I can work with and get my medication under control. I was actually in remission and off the meds for a little while, but the disease came right back. I refuse to have the radioactive iodine treatment unless it becomes a last resort, and my current doctor understands and respects my decision. I have managed to lose about 30 pounds over the last 2 or 3 years. It hasn't been easy, but I've been able to make steady progress.

I would recommend finding a really good endocrinologist you can work with and feel comfortable with. Once you have your complete diagnosis, do some serious research so you can make informed decisions about your own healthcare. You need to be able to ask intelligent questions and understand those lab reports when they come back. Don't just take the doctor's word for it that "things are good" or "things are bad". My previous doctor wanted to keep me in the dark and be the authority figure in our relationship. Thankfully, he retired. ;)

Best of luck to you in your quest for a healthy lifestyle. Friend me if you would like some support in this area. :)
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism. Years and years... My doctor wants me to have gastric bypass and / or take Phentermine. I don't want it. :explode: Not eating doesn't seem to help, so I see no point to an operation or pills that make it difficult to eat. He did up my thyroid meds when my period went hay wire and my gyno insisted that had to be it. He said "No...it's only a little out of range..." and I said I wasn't doing one more test, pill, or any other thing until he went along with gyno. :mad: Since the adjustment, I've been feeling MUCH better (energy) and I've lost a few pounds! :smile:
    I'm sorry about your hyperthyroidism causing you to have problems. It sucks when glands don't work right! :cry:
  • keengkong
    keengkong Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I don't have a thyroid gland. The doctor took it out and several of my lymph nodes because I have papillary thyroid cancer. As a result, I take Synthroid, which is synthetic thyroid. In order to suppress the cancer, my dosage of Synthroid is intentionally set to make me HYPERthyroid. Don't be fooled by all this; I function normally. I finished two marathons since being diagnosed with cancer. I am intending to run a half marathon in November. I am likely to live a normal life span. I lead a happy life.

Being hyperthyroid does not help you lose weight. As part of cancer treatment, I had to not take any Synthroid for several weeks. Since my body doesn't produce thyroid, I became quite HYPOthyroid. During that time, I ate one quarter to one third of what I normally eat. My weight didn't change at all. There has been a fair amount of research on giving people extra thyroid in order to help them lose weight. In some cases, the extra thyroid will help people whose thyroid levels are already low. However, for people with normal thyroid levels, giving them extra thyroid hormone does not help them lose weight. Their metabolism will go up; but so does their eating.
  • Bridget28152723
    Bridget28152723 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Hi , I was diagnosed first with Hyperthyroidism, then Hashimoto's Disease. here is my tsh level:
    0.022 -TSH
    So I would say a 0.09 would be an over active thyroid....
    On my Labs it says normal range is 0.45-4.5
    You should get some more lab work