Trying not to be discouraged so soon.

Options
I have spent the last 12 years fighting with the local medical establishment to get an abdominal hernia repaired.. and couldn't. It finally ruptured/incarcerated in June and I had emergency surgery - and now I'm allowed to do heavy exercise again.

I'm 330 lbs. I was 230 when i popped the hernia in the first place. No matter how hard i have worked at walking and diet, I have added 6-8 lbs a year since it happened. Now that it is repaired - jumping into 'drop this 100 lbs'.

Cleaned up my diet - not tough. Wife involved, supportive. Really straightforward. Logging everything I eat here, generally landing about 1800cal/day (TDEE expected about 3300). Weight - not changing over 3 weeks.

Working out. Fairly intense weight workouts mon/wed/fri - estimated around 800 cal burned each. Mild strength gains apparent over 3 weeks. HIIT cardio (modified no-impact. Heart rate hitting target) for 20 minutes tues/thurs/sat.

ONE meal a week where we say 'screw it'. We go for wings on Tuesdays. THat's it.

And my doctor, through this, sent me out for bloodwork - and my testosterone levels have cratered. I'm 52. I have less testosterone floating in my bloodstream than most ladies do. So, I start TRT shots on Friday.

Feeling more than a bit down today. Its like, two steps forward, *three* steps back these days.....

Replies

• Opalescent_Topaz
    Opalescent_Topaz Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Sorry you're dealing with a lot right now. Having a supportive spouse is fantastic though, isn't it?
  • Skylightsauc
    Skylightsauc Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged, if you are working out and gaining strength it's probably due to increased muscle mass, so your weight may increase or stay the same. I don't weigh weekly since I know my scale probably isn't very accurate. I'm going with monthly weighings plus how my clothes fit. And my real goal is to be able to climb stairs, something that has become difficult. Hang in there, the pay off in increased longevity and mobility will be worth it.