Food Choice

Options
I try to do the same breakfast and lunch daily…I exercise 5 days a week…I just don’t want to give up my 2 cocktails at night.

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    No one can make you!

But: When I want to lose weight, the first thing to go is "da beers." Alcohol presents three challenges

1) Calories. Per gram, alcohol is second only to fat. Also, it is only metabolized in the liver.

2) Lowers inhibition. This is a problem when it lowers your inhibition to eating and drinking more.

3) Habit forming. As you say, once you've gotten in the habit of drinking daily, it's a bit hard to give it up. (Varies strongly person-to-person.)

BUT: so long as you account for the calories, you can probably still lose weight while consuming alcohol daily. It just steals from other sources of calories. So, less is better. (I keep telling myself...)
  • xrj22
    xrj22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I would say, think about WHY those two cocktails are important to you, and then decide what you really want. Is the alcohol important? If so, do you think it is healthy for alcohol to be that important to you? Is that something you might want to change now while you are making healthy changes to your life? Or do you feel it isn't a big problem and you don't want to make that many changes at once. If the alcohol is important, but you want to decrease the calories, then change to a drink with low-cal mixer. Or is the relaxing routine in the eve important to you??? Then maybe you can create a new, healthier, non-caloric way to relax: Music, meditation, bath/shower, massage, etc. Or is it the taste that is important??? If so, think of some lower-cal things that you really like that you would consider a treat: possibly some exotic fruit, small piece of some other treat, etc.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options
    I try to do the same breakfast and lunch daily…I exercise 5 days a week…I just don’t want to give up my 2 cocktails at night.

You can have the cocktails, and breakfast and lunch plus even dinner . . . as long as the total calories add up to a deficit. It isn't an especially health-forward approach, and has the downsides @Jthanmyfitnesspal noted, but it could be done in theory.

You might need to reduce the calories in your meals. Quite possibly, you'd get inadequate nutrition, and that could also affect cravings, satiety, health, exercise performance and more. But those are tradeoffs you can make personally-appropriate decisions about.

Exercise just lets you eat/drink a little more while losing at the same rate. That might be helpful given the nutritional pressure created by the alcohol, but that, too, would be individual. Exercise for sure doesn't guarantee weight loss: I was training pretty hard 6 days most weeks, and even competing as an athlete (not always unsuccessfully), while staying overweight/obese . . . for around 12 years.

I'm not sure what your aim is in posting, but I don't say that as a cheap shot in any way. (I did drink some alcohol while losing weight, BTW, and a little bit more now in maintenance, since I have more calories to work with. If I go too far down that path, I feel worse, subjectively, though, and I don't have to go all the way or even close to alcoholism to notice that. It happens at the couple of drinks stage.)

If you're looking for us to give you permission to keep your drinks, maybe I just did. It's your decision, though.

If you're telling us you don't want to make the tradeoffs you think are necessary to achieve your weight management goals, that's your decision, too.

If you're trying to shift some of the decision to the peanut gallery here . . . well, sorry, nope.

I wish you success in all senses - weight management goals, plus quality of life now and future. The tradeoffs are all in your bailiwick, though, not ours.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    How many calories are those two cocktails? If those come in at 500 calories and you only want to eat 1200 calories then there might be a problem with getting sufficient nutrition. Also, if they contain alcohol then consider why you need this much alcohol every day.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    People above are appealing to reason. The human attraction to alcohol is primal. It varies strongly by the individual. Some is OK, but less is always better.

Calories: A "shot" (a puny 1.5 oz. serving) of any liquor is just about 100kcals. If you measure your drinks you could probably get away with 2 shots a day, particularly if you do a little exercise.

Best of luck!
  • Opalescent_Topaz
    Opalescent_Topaz Posts: 130 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    People above are appealing to reason. The human attraction to alcohol is primal. It varies strongly by the individual. Some is OK, but less is always better.

Calories: A "shot" (a puny 1.5 oz. serving) of any liquor is just about 100kcals. If you measure your drinks you could probably get away with 2 shots a day, particularly if you do a little exercise.

Best of luck!

I haven't looked anything up, and alcohol isn't really my thing. (I have other vices.) But you can always make your cocktails "skinny" too by using diet soda, syrup, etc.
  • Skylightsauc
    Skylightsauc Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I understand your predicament. I don't have two cocktails daily but I do enjoy cocktails with friends one day weekly at lunch, and a couple on weekends. I don't know what you usually drink, but have you thought about a lower calorie version? The last time I was on a weight loss journey I switched from wine to a spritzer made with club soda and limes. The volume was larger so I had one instead of two glasses of wine. Soda can be added to many things. I shouldn't admit this, but I like alcohol so did not want to give it up completely. Good luck on finding a solution that works for you.