TMI question NOT about TOM.. ;)

Options
Okay this maybe way TMI but I need to find something to help with this issue.

I am a morbidly obese woman...314 is what the scale said on Friday...anyway...when I work out and do the jumping and what not my front flap smacks against my legs and I end up with the feeling of whiplash...

WTF can I do or use to prevent that from happening?! I don't want to hurt myself...it is heavy and where a large portion of my weigh sits today I did not modify my jumping jacks first time since I started my journey back on Dec 28th. and while it was better that flopping noise and smacking hurts...

any ideas...and please don't judge...

Replies

• bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    You mean belly flap?
    If so when I was pregnant I wore this lycra thing to keep the bump in place, maybe that would help?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Wearing spandex or something under your clothes to keep everything in place might help.
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    You're not the only one...for me, wearing tight pants helps hold it down. And just hold on to those happy thoughts of that flap being gone, I am!
  • ollie88bug
    Options
    I agree maybe some type of compression shorts or spandex girdle type shorts
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Shapewear baby!

I can't go to the gym without wearing compression undergarmetns --- because even after you lose the weight, you'll still have the extra and it flaps around :)

If I would win the lottery I'd have a tummy tuck tomorrow --- but until then, it's shapewear.
    My favorite top is just one I found at target which has little cap sleeves too so even the bra fat is sucked in.
  • MrsPike07
    Options
    I agree, you could try wearing something tight fitting to keep it from moving too much. May not completely keep it from moving but I am sure it would be better then it is now. :happy:
  • 42hockeymom
    42hockeymom Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    No judgement here. :flowerforyou: Good question.

What about a girdle? Something that's going to keep your parts close to your body? Bike shorts underneath what you wear to work out? Hmmmm. But definitely, it needs to be made of some sort of wicking material.

Sorry, I can't be of any more help, these thoughts just came to mind. I get where you're going with this though. Hopefully there's someone out there who's a heck of a lot more schooled in this than I am.
  • sarahkova
    sarahkova Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    hahahahahahahah I OWN spanx why the heck didn't I think of that!

THANK YOU!!!!
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    You mean belly flap?
    If so when I was pregnant I wore this lycra thing to keep the bump in place, maybe that would help?
    Agree, get a "back supporter" or "abdominal band" and wear it while exercising. You may even find it relieves any back strain that you want to get a second to wear while not working out. I was just into the obese range and had the same kind of thing going on, and once I lost a bit it really helped.

You should be able to find them at sporting goods stores or drugstores.
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Yep, spandex or spanx are a life-saver! :-D

The post above me that was talking about a back supporter is a great idea too!
  • Malani2010
    Options
    I agree with some kind of spandex but I would also suggest baby powder to keep things dry and prevent chaffing. I have to same issues with my butt and legs.
  • cabaray
    Options
    Nothing moves with Spanx lol!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I agree maybe some type of compression shorts or spandex girdle type shorts

Yes, this is what I was thinking too. If that doesn't help enough then try something that doesn't require so much jumping (walking, eliptical, stair master, step aerobics) until you lose a few more pounds, then give the jumping another try. There are a lot of exercises that burn a lot of calories without jumping.
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Yep - I am wearing Targets cheaper version of spanx. There is no way that I would be able to have done as well as I have without them. I call them my zippy pants. :)
  • harleygirlT
    harleygirlT Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I would wear a girdle or spanx while working out. I have to wear a bra under my workout bra otherwise I have the same problem up top!
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    no TMI IMO. Wifey has the same problem and uses it as an excuse NOT to exercise. So 1) glad you ARE! And 2) try circuit training (weight and resistance training), elliptical and/or walking and avoid jumping jacks and any kind of "bouncy" aerobic activity. Plenty of time to do that once you start slimming down. Good luck!
  • countrydarling1
    countrydarling1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I agree with what they said!! Shape wear, spanx, i have the same problem. I do squats instead of the jumping. i know it doesnt burn as much probably, but keeps my flap from smacking, Im glad you posted this thread bc i learned something!!
  • cabaray
    Options
    I walk and use a recumbant bike. The bike burns up the calories really well. Plus, no flopping around with either.
  • Malani2010
    Options
    I would wear a girdle or spanx while working out. I have to wear a bra under my workout bra otherwise I have the same problem up top!

I thought I was the only one who had to double bra it. lol I nurse my daughter so I need the extra support for my boobs. lol
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Compression garments are the key...just make sure that they are CoolMax or some sort of Moisture Wicking fabric to prevent other issues. :smile: